Stebel horn mounting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stebel horn mounting

Default Stebel horn mounting

my mechanic put the exhaust parts no longer used from stock exhaust under the side panel and said there is not enought room to mount the horn as well. need to get this mounted but want to make sure it will fit before I get to envolved. someone said you can just cut the old exhaust junk off but I am woried about the FI light, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Instructions for disabling the set valve. http://www.bigpapam109.com/downloads/disable_set.pdf

he said that couldnt be done. thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

people put their horns in either the headlight housing(can't think of the official name right now) or on the side. There is a space between the battery box and swing arm that I mounted mine.

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Or behind the radiator where the stock horn is.

As I have no headlight nachel and my trunk takes up the room under the seat, I needed to find another spot that worked.

When Indians ran this land, there were no taxes, no debt, plenty of game, clean water, women did all of the work, men hunted and fished all day and had sex all night.

Only the white man is dumb enough to think he could improve on that system

Banned

I put mine in the headlight bucket. Looked where the stock horn went and it felt like it would be too tight in there. That's just me though, I am sure others got it installed there.

me too .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060020.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	26918  

i have an R2 so headlight is out. dont want to mess with set valve stuff so would like to find a place other than side panel. Like the radiator idea but it sure looks thin back there. anyone have pics of radiator install

Quote Originally Posted by Vikeman109 View Post
    Why would he say it couldn't be done? Hundreds on here have done it and it's the way Suzuki recommends doing it too. It takes all of 10 minutes to do it and your problem goes away.

I've had mine behind the side panel and in the headlight, both work equally well.

i have an R2 so headlight is out. dont want to mess with set valve stuff so would like to find a place other than side panel. Like the radiator idea but it sure looks thin back there. anyone have pics of radiator install
    You can always try with the SET under the cover. There is no way that it will fit where the headlight is. And I know of one guy that placed it behind the radiator and the horn went bad. So to me under the right side cover is your only option, that's if you want it concealed.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    You can always try with the SET under the cover. There is no way that it will fit where the headlight is. And I know of one guy that placed it behind the radiator and the horn went bad. So to me under the right side cover is your only option, that's if you want it concealed.
    oops sorry vikeman, I should have read better you have a R2, Thanks Ryan, headlight bucket is out............

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Why would he say it couldn't be done? Hundreds on here have done it and it's the way Suzuki recommends doing it too. It takes all of 10 minutes to do it and your problem goes away.

I've had mine behind the side panel and in the headlight, both work equally well.
    id say he was lazy. he used to be suzuki dealer but doesnt have much experience on mods

The mod is a piece of cake and if you print it out I'm sure that he could do it for you as well! Not many (if any) keep the set valve after they swap to an after market exhaust, don't see what he thinks is the issue

I think the right side is the place for the Stebel for you!!

Don
    06' CandyWine w/shadows w/Cameleon Tribal and a few skulls w/ Painted Hub. Mods: Big Air Kit, Sideburners, PCIII,JSD-3M, Corbin Seats, Kuryakin ISO Stilletto Grips, Kewlmetal 2" pullback risers w/ Tach mount, Kewlmetal Chrome front fork tubes, Lowered 2.5, Aeromach Mirrors,5" LED strips for front & rear blinkers, HID Headlight Conversion Kit SS Braided cables. Chromed parts: Wheels, Swing-arm, Tripple trees, Peg Mounts.

I'd say you need to see another mechanic, lol. There's enough room in the head light nacelle for HID and Stebel or Stebel truck horn...show him this vid

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3jgvgvrXU[/ame]

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tigz View Post
    I'd say you need to see another mechanic, lol. There's enough room in the head light nacelle for HID and Stebel or Stebel truck horn...show him this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3jgvgvrXU

R2

When Indians ran this land, there were no taxes, no debt, plenty of game, clean water, women did all of the work, men hunted and fished all day and had sex all night.

Only the white man is dumb enough to think he could improve on that system

spoke to mechanic today, after I explained what needed to be done he all of a sudden knows understands and made it sound like he already knew about it. yea right! PLan to have pair valves blocked off, new air filters (of some type yet to be determined) and horn installed next month. since the tanks has to be removed for this, are there any other recommened mods that should be done while the tank is off?

lol he's obviously not a member on these boards. I am no mechanic believe me and even I was able to follow Bigpapas instructions on how to remove that wire and the bike has run absolutely perfect with my V&H pipes. just do it
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

decided to handle myself. i can reaqd directions as much as the next guy and I will pay the 60 bucks an hour to myself. not sure if I want to tackel the pair valves or not. needs to be done because too much popping after installing velocity pros.

The PAIR valve is as easy to do as anything else you're doing. The valve is located on the lower front of the air box. It has one short hose coming out that goes to a T, then a hose from each side of the T runs to each head. Pull the short hose off and put in a marble, wood dowel, anything that will block it. Put the hose back on the solenoid when finished and you're done. You have to leave the solenoid connected electrically or it will set a FI light, so it can't be removed.

Or you can pull the hoses off each head and use a rubber cap on the PAIR valves. Either will do the same thing.

You can do it.

Default install

just got done with mine used a real long pair of pliers to unhook horn and plug back in extended wires from kit and placed behind headlight lot of room up there used a plastic tie to snake up to headlight just hook on to new wire with tape and put it up no parts off the bike

I was able to "fish" the wires without removing the tank, I used ryans plug-n-play harness which keeps the original horn in the loop and all I had to do was remove one connection and push another on
    (I had room under right side cover for my gorilla alarm and the air horn)

Very Active Member

my mechanic put the exhaust parts no longer used from stock exhaust under the side panel and said there is not enought room to mount the horn as well. need to get this mounted but want to make sure it will fit before I get to envolved. someone said you can just cut the old exhaust junk off but I am woried about the FI light, etc...
    I put mine behind the radiator. No problem.
    Live life to its fullest everyday!Mods:Kuryakyn Grips---Kuryakyn Mirrors---Kuryakyn Swing Wings---HK Sideburners---PC III---Side License Plate--- Smoke Integrated Tailight---Chrome Rear Caliper Cover---Chrome Shaft Cover---Chrome Engine Side Plate---Chrome M109R Radiator Cover---Full cut gel carbon fiber seats---Custom Intakes---Chrome Cobra Engine Guards---2 in Bones---Nautilus Stebel Air Horn---Dunnie 250---Remote controlled Engine Lights

Very Active Member

decided to handle myself. i can reaqd directions as much as the next guy and I will pay the 60 bucks an hour to myself. not sure if I want to tackel the pair valves or not. needs to be done because too much popping after installing velocity pros.
    Glad you are saving the money. It is very easy to do. As far as the pair valve, search it and you will see many that just use a marble to block the hose. Then you don't have to fuss with anything other then taking the tank off.

I ended up seperating the Stebel horn from the motor. The horn portion went behind the raditor, in the stock location. I ran an air line back to the motor portion, which is mounted to the ECU bracket on the left side of the bike. I would normally mount the horn on the right side, but I currently have the Cruise Control there. so far so good.

Default Wired Up how?

So when you added the Stebel did you use the relay that came with it or just take the wire off the old horn and connect it up assuming the horn switch can handle the current draw of the Stebel for the short time its actually in use?

Quote Originally Posted by WestOz View Post
    So when you added the Stebel did you use the relay that came with it or just take the wire off the old horn and connect it up assuming the horn switch can handle the current draw of the Stebel for the short time its actually in use?
    to the forum.

You can't connect the Stebel directly to the existing harness, it draws way too many amps and will melt it. You might get a beep or two out of it before it goes.

You can use the relay that comes with the Stebel, but most replace it. It's a cheap relay and you're better off getting a good 30 amp lighting relay to replace it.

I would not do it as it draws much more power then the stock horn. Plus you can keep the stock horn in the loop as a back up. I used the relay that came with my horn and it still works great years latter.

to the forum also.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Default Put in the head light housing

I put mine in the head light housing and ran its own power from the battery under the tank. Put a switch so that I can go back to the stock horn but if I had to do it over again I would leave the stock horn disconnected. Only switch to it if I want to show someone a comparision between them.

I didn't.
    I purchased a 50Amp relay that I knew was "way" over the 30 amp relay capability. I knew this 50amp would give me a lot more life and reliability than the provided 30amp relay.

I just purchased an air horn with relay and I'm not clear why I can't mount it under the right side cover and keep all the wiring local to that area.
    When you hit the horn button, where is the existing relay? Is it by the battery or up in the headlight nacelle?
    My preference is to add as little wire as possible
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come