Earthquake...

Thread: Earthquake...

Default Earthquake...

...in MARYLAND??!!

I've lived here for close to 30 years and cannot believe that this morning we were hit with an Earthquake that registered 3.6!! The epicenter of the quake was a mile from our house, and practically in the backyard of one of my clients!

Funny thing is, I woke up a little after 5:00 a.m. (not knowing what woke me), looked at the clock and went right back to sleep. We have noisy neighbors who leave for work right around that time, so I just assumed their door slamming is what woke me...since we live in a townhouse, if they slam their door hard enough, it literally shakes our walls!

Then, when I did wake up and start reading my emails, where I had people asking if I was alright, I was somewhat confused, LOL! Why wouldn't I be? I see mention of an Earthquake in some of the messages, turn on the News and find out that one hit Germantown and that's what woke me up this morning.

I would never move to Kansas cuz I'm scared to death of tornadoes, and I would never move to California cuz I'm scared to death of earthquakes...go figure, a 3.6 happens in friggin' Maryland!!

Any other locals feel/hear it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    BikerGranny would rip your head off, and spit down your neck. You have NO idea who you're messing with. She'll be coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice. You'll be crying when she's done with you. That is a promise. Normally there is no fighting at the meet. But, I may make an exception in your case. LYIANFW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Dang, Marry. First Canada has an earthquake which Michigan can feel, now Maryland....

The end is neeeeeear

Very Active Member RonnieTheBull's Avatar

I live up in the town of Bel Air and felt zippy...but my lady text me this morning and said the news mentioned something was felt in Canton as well...crazy stuff
    Last edited by RonnieTheBull; 07-16-2010 at 11:46 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Earthquake!

Hang on! The whole world's shak'in!

Default Earthquake

Sorry that you got to experience an earthquake where you live, Mary.

Weirdly, a couple of years ago we had a 3.5 magnitude earth tremor, right here in Brisbane, Australia. As we never get them here in Brisbane, everyone freaked out, having never experienced one, and jammed the switchboards of emergency services and the Police department.

I was watching TV when it struck, and at the time it didn't even register with me as being anything unusual or anything to be at all concerned about. Having experienced quakes of that strength or stronger so many times during the 4 years I lived in Japan, I'd just become so accustomed to them, that I had tuned minor earthquakes like that out as being normal. It was only hours later, when I saw the sensational TV news reports about the event....that I released how significant it was, and that I ought to have reacted to it, because I was now home in Australia and not in Japan, where they are so commonplace. Fortunately I was not in the vicinity of Kobe, Japan when the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995 hit, killing more than 6434 residents. A few of my close friends were, and they were deeply shaken and traumatised by the event. I was there 2 weeks after the event, and it was a scene of devastation the likes of which I had never seen before.

Here's hoping there are no more earthquakes for you to go through in your area Mary.

I'm with you in regards to the Tornados ! I'd love to see the awesome power of one....but I'm not about to risk my life for the experience.

It happened here at 5:05 am, I was already driving to work so I guess because I was driving I didn't feel it? Next thing I know my Mom and Girlfriend are calling to make sure everything was ok I didn't believe them at first but then they started talking about it on the radio......Weird, I was here but had no idea it was going on.......It's the story of my life, I always miss the good sh*t!
    "Blaze"

well here in kansas we have tornadoes and earthquakes!! one of the largest fault lines runs right through eastern missouri!

http://www.scchealth.org/docs/ems/do...newmadrid.html

I don't think any of us are excluded, I hope the big one don't happen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylgRTph3G7s[/ame]

I live right where that red dot is on the california part of the earthquake map and I hate them. I am glad you are okay. It doesnt matter how big or small the number of the earthquake is, crazy things can happen when the ground is shaking.
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
    K&N Filters, 250mm Rear Tire, TRE W/Gear Indicator..

Quote Originally Posted by SVZuki View Post
    Dang, Marry. First Canada has an earthquake which Michigan can feel, now Maryland....

The end is neeeeeear
    'bout a year and a half

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. -- Ronald Reagan
    With Individual Freedom and Individual Salvation comes Individual Accountability. It brings a rewarding life to all. <--The Huff

Mary, are you sure that wasn't just Harris farting under the covers?

2012 is right around the corner.
    More Power GSXR1000 303hp

Good thing you are a heavy sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by 08-109LE View Post
    Mary, are you sure that wasn't just Harris farting under the covers?

Quote Originally Posted by nuk View Post
    Good thing you are a heavy sleeper.
    It helps that I didn't get to bed til 3 a.m., so I was dead tired at that point, LOL!
    BikerGranny would rip your head off, and spit down your neck. You have NO idea who you're messing with. She'll be coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice. You'll be crying when she's done with you. That is a promise. Normally there is no fighting at the meet. But, I may make an exception in your case. LYIANFW!

Very Active Member

Logically speaking........................WE'RE ALL DEAD IN 2012. Fires, mudslides, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, uprising in the middle east, terrorists, dictators, murderers & WAR. The signs are all here folks, kiss your ass goodbye in 2 1/2 years.

Default 2012!!

and i quote Dr. Peter Venkman: "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by TVL65 View Post
    Logically speaking........................WE'RE ALL DEAD IN 2012. Fires, mudslides, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, uprising in the middle east, terrorists, dictators, murderers & WAR. The signs are all here folks, kiss your ass goodbye in 2 1/2 years.
    Always the optimist and bearer of positive news TVL65....I was trying to think back the last time you made an uplifting post.....nope couldn't think of one Glad all is well with you and Harris Mary.
    Last edited by Gramps; 07-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.

I'm surprised you even felt a 3.6

Come on 3.6 That is just a baby.

We have been having after shocks down in So Cal for the last couple of months in the 4 range, where the main one was a 6.2

I can feel for you though, if you don't like them, they can be scary, but we fell them here so regular, it is like a non issue any more, sort of like a free amusement park ride. Just as long as things aren't falling around you or the ground opening up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I'm surprised you even felt a 3.6
    I don't think I did feel it...when I woke up, I didn't know what awakened me, so I'm guessing I heard it, more than felt it. My daughter, on the other hand, felt it! She lives in the basement and her bed is against the wall...her foot was touching the wall and she said the walls were shaking and she heard a big loud noise, then some grumbling afterwards...she thought it was just another one of our bad thunderstorms that resembled an Earthquake, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHorse View Post
    Come on 3.6 That is just a baby.

We have been having after shocks down in So Cal for the last couple of months in the 4 range, where the main one was a 6.2

I can feel for you though, if you don't like them, they can be scary, but we fell them here so regular, it is like a non issue any more, sort of like a free amusement park ride. Just as long as things aren't falling around you or the ground opening up.

LOL, yeah, that's why I don't live there...can't even imagine how petrified I'd be if I was riding along and the street suddenly opened up and swallowed me and my bike! I don't know how ya do it!

Mary, you were the first guys I thought about when I heard where it was. We felt a little of it in the Winchester area and a little less over here where I live. I had one of those almost sleepless nights and was up when it happened, and I was so tired I thought I was just stumbling around.

No need to worry about earthquaks. I'm sure someone here on this site will come up with a rocket mod do-it-yourself soon.
    Samdman84
    08 M109

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Mary, you were the first guys I thought about when I heard where it was. We felt a little of it in the Winchester area and a little less over here where I live. I had one of those almost sleepless nights and was up when it happened, and I was so tired I thought I was just stumbling around.
    Wow, it's fascinating how far away people still heard and felt it, being as small as it was! And, here we are just a mile away from it and half the people I know in this area slept right through it, LOL!