Gold Hazing on new pipes

Thread: Gold Hazing on new pipes

Default Gold Hazing on new pipes

Just had new HC Velocity 2-1 installed today and there is already a gold haze line where the 2 go into 1. Is this a defect, installation problem or is that just the way it is. Just a bit pissed after dropping a grand today so anyone with experience on this would be a big help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

It could be poor chroming, but it's caused by engine heat. Do you have any kind of fuel manager on it, and what other mods do you have?

fi2000 installed at same time. stock air.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That should have taken care of it if you added enough fuel. Lean causes them to run hot and will cause even the best pipes to turn gold then blue.

I'd contact Hard-Krome and see what they have to say about it. They guarantee their pipes not to blue.

http://www.hardkrome.com/

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

could this be from an exhaust leak at that point? is there a seperation point there?
    Bully Bagger

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

I am thinking oil cooking off.

not your motor oil, but on the pipes from shipping.

metal parts will often be wiped or sprayed with machien oil for protection during storage in inventory and shipping.

If you do not clean off the oil and let them heat up, you cook it off. It will smell a little of WD40 burning and will leave a brown/gold haze.

Use some chrome polish and see if it comes off. If so, this is likely your issue. if that does the trick, clean the rest of the pipes before you get the rest of it hot enough to cook off the oil there.

When Indians ran this land, there were no taxes, no debt, plenty of game, clean water, women did all of the work, men hunted and fished all day and had sex all night.

Only the white man is dumb enough to think he could improve on that system

A local shop (who is not in business anymore) used to use WD 40 at the attach points to help them on easier, but did not remove had problems with this with customers. Maybe why they are not in business anymore Glad I put my own pipes on first. SR is right, they need to be cleaned before install and after before firing the bike up, hand have oil on them also.

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

I also have the velocity. Its not the pro. I've got around 25,000 on them and they hold up well. They still look like they just came out of the box. Its a good chrome so I say chrome polish.

PS. It will get louder as time goes on. Nice pipes
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

I found that if you don't seat the muffler into the head pipes far enough you'll have this happen. I took a 2x4 and a rubber mallet and tapped the muffler into the head pipes and tighten the clamps well and haven't had any issues of the pipe turning at the connection point.
    C-One
    Army of One
    SFC, Retired, Signal Corp.
    "Jesus is LORD!!!"
    " I'm Gods child and a Jesus kind of man"

^^^^^^ and i also noticed that you might have a slight zinging noise at about 3500-3700 RPM if your muffler isnt seated into the head pipes.

No help with the chrome polish. HC rep told me to take a picture and email it so that doesnt sound promissing. Going to shop that did install in the morning to see what they have to say before leaving town on vacation. Will post pic in about a week so everyone can take a look.