Mind Blower....

Thread: Mind Blower....

Default Mind Blower....

This looks pretty cool what do you think? They are testing them for Metrics now... Not the 109 yet but maybe if they had the right motivation...

http://www.mindblowerchopper.com/
    Chaplain for the Northeastern Oklahoma Chapter of The Downed Biker Association Current Ride: 2006 Black Mods include Kuryakyn: iso flame Grips, Swithblade Highway pegs, Constelation Floorboards, Scythe Mirrors. Suzuki: Touring Windshield, Engine Guards, Full Cut Gel Seat. Debeavered, Debadged, JSD-3M, K&N Air Filters, Blacked Out Tail Light, Carbon Fiber Accents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Pegasus

I couldn't help but notice they conveniently left out any CFM flow data. The fan has to be able to blow more Cubic Feet per Minute, at a pressure above atmospheric, than the motor sucks to have any real efect. That's why fan motors like this haven't been commonly used for forced induction. I would be very scheptical. There were gimicks similar to this sold for cars in the 60's & 70's. They didn't work. I doubt this does either.

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

This gimmick is still around for cars and I assume it is the same thing here.

They can show numbers like they do because in theory it can work and when they are plugged into a power source other than the vehicle they are drawing power from, they can have a positive effect.

However, when you run it off of the battery of the vehicle you are trying to gain power on, they do nothing at best and rob power at worst.

When Indians ran this land, there were no taxes, no debt, plenty of game, clean water, women did all of the work, men hunted and fished all day and had sex all night.

Only the white man is dumb enough to think he could improve on that system

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

its kind like those electric turbos they sell on ebay.....

basically a leaf blower motor

Looks cool. Not sure I get the immediate jump to power loss by other posters. I mean superchargers work don't they? And they run off of engine power. Don't get me wrong, I am skeptical, but seems like an electric powered supercharger should at least technically feasible.

I would want to see a completely independent review before plunking my money down for 2 of those.

Pegasus

Quote Originally Posted by snoobzilla View Post
    Looks cool. Not sure I get the immediate jump to power loss by other posters. I mean superchargers work don't they? And they run off of engine power. Don't get me wrong, I am skeptical, but seems like an electric powered supercharger should at least technically feasible.

I would want to see a completely independent review before plunking my money down for 2 of those.
    Looks can be deceiving. As pointed out earlier, you can't get enough power out of a 12 volt system on a car (much less a bike) to power an electric blower to produce the air flow and pressure reqired feed more air than the engine can suck. When you put a belt driven blower on an engine it takes 20% of the power you make with it just to turn it. So if you went from 100 to 150 HP with say 5 psi boost you'd be using 20 HP to turn the blower. A 20 HP electric motor would have to be 10 times larger than that litty bitty fan motor and take a lot more electricity to turn it than a 12V battery. And that's a conservative estimate.

I can't believe people actually pay money for crap like that. I guess there is a sucker born every minute.

You can run, but you will just die tired..............

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdmitchell View Post
    I can't believe people actually pay money for crap like that. I guess there is a sucker born every minute.
    Wouldn't that be a "Blower" born every minute?

Quote Originally Posted by juice109 View Post
    Wouldn't that be a "Blower" born every minute?
    depends on which side of the "fan" you are standing.

You can run, but you will just die tired..............

They might be good for show, but they sure won't do much for power. As SR said, they still try to sell them for cars and trucks, and some folks still buy them. I'd hate to guess how many amps you would need to pack around in battery power to really get something like that to work. I guarantee it's way more than our battery and charging system will support.

Maybe towing a trailer with a generator on board would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    They might be good for show, but they sure won't do much for power. As SR said, they still try to sell them for cars and trucks, and some folks still buy them. I'd hate to guess how many amps you would need to pack around in battery power to really get something like that to work. I guarantee it's way more than our battery and charging system will support.

Maybe towing a trailer with a generator on board would help.

Very Active Member

I have an old car rag from the 90s around here where they tested an electric supercharger from Vortech or somebody. I can even remember seeing commercials on TNN sundays along time back.

Anyhow I would always worry a brush would burn up melt the electric motor down and then get some little parts sucked into the motor.

If you just have to have forced induction do the real deal.

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snoobzilla View Post

What you are missing is that you are equating 'engine power' to what drives an electric fan.

Getting power from the motor either wit a belt or exhaust gas is a relatively efficient way to get it.

Using engine power to generate electricity is much less efficient in that you get less energy out then you put in. Add to that the energy loss coverting the electricity back into mechanical power and you are getting less than 40% of the power you took from the motor.

When Indians ran this land, there were no taxes, no debt, plenty of game, clean water, women did all of the work, men hunted and fished all day and had sex all night.

Only the white man is dumb enough to think he could improve on that system

I would imagine it would help a little bit but not much. After using mechanical turbo chargers on a few bike I looked deeply into different electric applications and there are ways to get quit a bit of pressure (boost) with a brush less motor. In the link below you can see how intricate they can get.

BTW, you should always run a filter, that fan may look cool but one little pebble could ruin more than the fan blades.

IMAGINE TWO OF THESE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIXHvlmLux0[/ame]
    More Power GSXR1000 303hp

You boys need to go for a ride on an M90. for a week - than when ya get back on the 9 ... You'll be like dam instant 40 hp gain !!

M90 2010, Too many Mods to list ,

Quote Originally Posted by M90 View Post
    You boys need to go for a ride on an M90. for a week - than when ya get back on the 9 ... You'll be like dam instant 40 hp gain !!
    Its not our fault you bought the limp wristed version of the 9.