bike tie down location - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bike tie down location

Very Active Member windycityrider's Avatar

/\ yes mary, that is the picture i was thinking of. they really do look like they were made to be carried on the back of the 9. so since your bag is more expanded than bigpapa's, does that also mean that some of the items in your bag just happen to find their way into his bag from time to time? that sounds like something that happens when dealing with the "female species". LOL.

OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED.......THE
    WINDY CITY IS MY PLAYGROUND

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

When i trailered the bike a week ago, I ran the rachet straps around the risers instead of the handlebars. I "feel" like it is alot more secure that way. For the rear, I ran one strap through my rim. Next time I may pull down on the rear shock via the tail sub-frame as there are holes in it big enough to put the hook of the rachet strap.

Where did you get the bolts for strapping the bag down to?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by windycityrider View Post
    /\ yes mary, that is the picture i was thinking of. they really do look like they were made to be carried on the back of the 9. so since your bag is more expanded than bigpapa's, does that also mean that some of the items in your bag just happen to find their way into his bag from time to time? that sounds like something that happens when dealing with the "female species". LOL.

LOL, nope, but everything we picked up along the way (memorabilia, gifts, shot glasses, etc.) all ended up in his bag on the way home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    BikerGranny would rip your head off, and spit down your neck. You have NO idea who you're messing with. She'll be coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice. You'll be crying when she's done with you. That is a promise. Normally there is no fighting at the meet. But, I may make an exception in your case. LYIANFW!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood View Post
    Where did you get the bolts for strapping the bag down to?
    They are the bungee buttons; and I believe DLP sells them. I'll look it up and give you a link.

EDIT:

http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...d=6110&str=290
    BikerGranny would rip your head off, and spit down your neck. You have NO idea who you're messing with. She'll be coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice. You'll be crying when she's done with you. That is a promise. Normally there is no fighting at the meet. But, I may make an exception in your case. LYIANFW!

Hey Biker Granny, where did you get the bags from? Thanx

Very Active Member

Here is my bike on the back of W%^$109's Trailer , onlY tide down from the forks , the lower part , so the bike still has working suspension , works great !! By the way I won Best Cruiser at this event, 2nd year in a row , lots of help from W*&%$109.

Thanks for all the tie down solutions. I definately will not & cannot use the canyon dancer as the bars rotate.

I am going to go and try a couple methods suggested so I am ready for the weekend.

Thanks again,
    Chapster

I haul my bike in the back of my truck. I have a Chevy Silverado Z71 with a 6'6" bed. With my bike in the back, I can not close my tailgate. Between the Pre-VA meet going to down to Deals Gap, TN and to Staunton, VA, then back home, a total of 1300 miles in the back of my truck, I think my tie down method it pretty good. My bike didnt move, not once.

First, when you load it, whether in a truck or trailer, stall your bike out in gear. Always leave it in 1st gear. This way, your bike will not roll.

I use tie down straps/ handle bar straps and wrap them around the fork tubes, right above the lower tripple tree. Then I use ratchet straps, hooking one hook at the front of the bed and one end into the tie down strap. No hooks touching my bike. Then I ratchet down, compressing my fork tubes down some, not all the way. Do not compress your front forks all the way down with your tie downs, you will do damage to fork seals if you do

I dont like using the handle bars for a few reasons. Your risers flex if you pull down on your handle bars, and you risk rotating your handle bars. The way I use, you are putting the pressure on the fork tubes and tripple tree.

The rear straps are just to keep the rear from moving around. And there are two ways to attach the rear. You can attach it to the hole by the rear foot peg, but be careful not to tighten too much, b/c the bracket will bend. The other way is there are holes in your fender well, toward the front of your wheel well on the rear. You can not see the holes, but if you feel under your wheel well, you will feel the hole. Its the right size for a ratchet strap hook.

Like I said, I drove 1300 miles on Interstates doing 75+mph with this set up. My bike never moved! I hope this helps some
    Last edited by Irish4life; 07-08-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostm109 View Post
    Hey Biker Granny, where did you get the bags from? Thanx
    They are Cortech bags, and I believe we purchased them from this place (not 100% sure, though):

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t-Tailbag.aspx

As far as tie downs on the bike, we have locking ride in chocks in our trailer, and I tie the 109 down in front with ratchet straps hooked to the bars right next to the risers. I use a piece of felt under the straps to keep from damaging the bars. I did position the floor anchors so the straps would miss the turn signals and still pull the bike forward into the chocks, and it doesn't move. At the rear, we put down strips of rubberized shelf liner so the tires don't slide around on the deck of the trailer, and I use a longer ratchet strap wrapped a couple times around the tire near the top and pulling down to each side.

Oh, and one of the trailer chocks used to be Harris's.

Dang it, just asked what brand of bags those were too. I'm fast on the edits.