Insurance Claim Strategy - Help!
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Insurance Claim Strategy - Help!

  1. #1
    Very Active Member snoobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    327

    Default Insurance Claim Strategy - Help!

    I am trying to figure out the best strategy for handling my collision claim. I went down at approx 30 mph in right hand corner. All damage right side, in corner too hot, touched front brake, down I went. No curbs or potholes, just a decent smack to pavement and slide. 2006 silver in very good condition 15K miles all damage right side.

    I talked to someone about another issue with the insurance claim today and they happened to mention they were total-lossing my bike... it was not the adjuster. I haven't talked to adjuster yet. Apparently the adjuster got up to 6750 (they wrote in complete stock exhaust) in damage and stopped... guy said they go to 75% of value and then total it... not sure what they are valuing bike at, but that means at least 9K. Insurer is state farm.

    The dealer has not said anything about frame damage, they are giving me the run-around just another day on the estimate, but they don't know what the they are doing (last time I took it in for scheduled maintenance they had a hat trick - overfilled oil, body panels not put toghether right, and they left the clutch cable overtight). I don't think they have any idea the adjustor is thinking total it.

    Damaged parts are listed below, even if I buy all new parts we are talking about 3300 in parts the way I figure it since I am not interested in a stock exhaust. It is all stuff I can replace myself very easily.

    Somebody posted this when hyperpete was asking the same questions.
    http://www.auto-insurance-claim-advi...otal-loss.html


    Damage details and mods below. Questions way down at the end.


    List of Modifications to Motorcycle - Any Idea How to Blue Book This?
    Power commander
    Roadburner velocity pro exhaust
    Chromed stock wheels
    Chromed calipers
    Chromed peg brackets
    Kuryakyn elipse mirrors
    Kuryakyn driver pegs
    Kuryakyn ISO grips
    Kewl metal helmet lock bar end
    Hard bags - Mutazu JM Silver
    Xtreme revolutions stage 2 intakes - http://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/showproduct.aspx?siteid=14&productid=3292&gvid=&sh owmost=1&rctr=1
    Side mount licence plate - greggs
    Engine cover - greggs
    Chrome swingarm cover
    Chrome caps for shocks
    Grasshopper backrest
    Remote control LEDs
    M109R logo brake/clutch levers with holes.
    After market kickstand with holes.




    Damage
    Right Mirror
    Exhaust
    Front Brake Lever
    Rear Brake Pedal
    Right Peg
    Nacelle
    Right Saddlebag
    Helmet
    Handlebar Twist?
    Right Airbox and cover
    Fuel Tank




    So... I am thinking the best bet is to find out about frame damage. If frame damage exists, I will probably work to total it.

    Likelihood of frame damage? What should I look at/have them check?

    Question: If no frame damage... should I still total and buy back, or should I negotiate to get a high payout for fix and keep away from having to screw around with a salvage title?

    If you recommend a strategy, should I try to push value of fix up/down and/or value of bike up/down?

    Thanks in advance. Support has been great.

    Ian

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member reprek1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    263

    Default

    ive repaired 2 bikes in the past that had salvage titles. In pa it is no picnic. there is a ton of paperwork involved have your camera ready to take plenty of pics throughout the repair. save your reciepts they will want them and the inspection is preety painful as well. They also won't give you a passed inspection if it is not 100 percent legal, such as reflectors, signals, mirrors, correct license plate position ect. ect. After all of that you still have a bike with a reconstructed title now that no one wants to buy and isn't worth to much.
    If I were you have the frame checked if theres no damage get the insurance company for what every you can get out of them, do the work yourself and put some cash in your pocket. Or get a 300 kit

    Good luck

    Remember to burn rubber not souls my friends,

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Panchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    The way you described your misfortune, I can bet you right now that there is no damage to frame !!
    The frames on these bikes are very sturdy and they are built like tanks.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    reality
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Ian, i know when mine went down (I wasn't riding) the insurance company went to 70%. They declared it a total loss. I called my claims agent and discussed the situation. I convinced them to accept a new estimate and asked what the amount had to be. He gave me the amount and I took it to my body man and we figured out what we could live with and went from there. I did not want to lose the bike for many reasons and I chose to keep it. I still have a couple of parts that show damage. 2 side covers and rear peg. Eventually I will find some parts at a reasonable price and put them on, but at least I can ride. I got a pretty nice paint job out of it too. Thats my experience anyway. I thought Hink was gathering parts for all three of you that went down.

  7. #5
    Active Member Rumble44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I went down in May. Only going about 20, and got run off the road. I skidded into a parking lot, and laid the bike down on the left side. The girl that ran me off, hit my left foot peg with her front tire, snapping it off. Ins. co offered me $8000 to total it. I asked them what was the difference between the total amount and the amount they could spend to not total it. They said about $1300, which puts it at $6700, same as yours. So ask the ins. adjustor what he needs to not total it. Find out from the dealer what parts he replaced in his estimate to the ins. co. Then review with the dealer those parts. My repair shop listed the front suspension tube, since there was a scratch on it. I told him it wasn't from the accident. They removed the parts not needed to be repaired (as defined by me), and the ins. co. settled to repair the bike. Like yours, I have so many mods on it that there is no way I wanted to start over. Plus, I found out all mods not specifically noted on policy are not covered. Word to the wise in the future, get all your mods and accessories listed on your policy. Good Luck
    2007 Red 109R Holley Air Cleaners,Kuryakyn Lic. Plate Frame, Rear Caliper Cover, XtreemRevolution Boogey Boards, KEWL METAL 2" handlebar risers, Harley Backrest Mod., Garmin on RAM Mount, A&R 6K HID, JSD

    There's always someone faster!

  8. #6
    Member hwyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    29

    Default

    My wife totaled mine Monday at about 25 mph in a down hill left hander, it broke the steering stop and lock off (12k worth of total damage). Adjuster told me frame has to be replaced they will not accept any repairs (in Arkansas). So he totaled mine and I bought it back from them for a fair price, gonna part out some and keep some, pretty sure I will get my money back easy. Already found a replacement bike gonna pick it up this weekend and start transfering all my goodies over. We have a Colorado trip the first week of August and I already got money in on it so I was like crap I do not want to ride my B-king to Colorado I will need back surgery before I get back LOL....but we found another 9 to put back in the stable..thank goodness for me and my arse.
    '06 Blurple/Raw Performance blackie/ISO grips/Gi-pro/Debeavered/260 Metz/Power Com/intake by Jutah/blue leds/1.5 bones

  9. #7
    Very Active Member sutphen771's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    total it
    get the money
    buy it back from the insurance company for pennies
    fix it better than new, re-title, keep the leftover cash

    thats te way it worked in the old days


    Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are ok
    More Power GSXR1000 303hp

  10. #8
    Very Active Member AFelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Antelope CA
    Posts
    571

    Default

    If you take it to a shop to get it fixed, be prepared. Mine has been in the shop for almost a month. They are trying to nickle and dime the insurance co. They had to order additional parts now. They say hidden damage.
    If you are able to, fix it yourself. Look at Oneida Suzuki for your parts, they are the cheapest I have found.
    Good Luck.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member Swede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Antioch Ca
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutphen771 View Post
    total it
    get the money
    buy it back from the insurance company for pennies
    fix it better than new, re-title, keep the leftover cash

    thats te way it worked in the old days


    Sorry to hear about the accident, glad you are ok

  12. #10
    Very Active Member pynikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Blue Springs, MO
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    i wouldnt say that youd get it back for pennies but you can buy it back for cheap but not as cheap as you would think.

    and as for your aftermarket stuff, if you have the receipts, would be face value minus the deprecation, if you have that coverage.

    i would say if it has frame damage total it and start over.....


    glad to hear that you are doing well.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member Bones M109R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blue Springs Missouri
    Posts
    655

    Default

    I totaled a truck once and bought it back from the insurance Co. and the title never changed hands. It always stayed in my name and was never turned into a salvage title. I would think the bike title would be exactly the same way. It would only go to a salvage title if you walked away from it and someone else bought it as salvage. I could be wrong but that is how it worked for me.


  14. #12
    Very Active Member snoobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Thanks all for the feedback. I am feeling better about my prospects and how to move forward.

    Special thanks to Hink who I just talked to on the phone and had dealt with state farm before.

    This forum rocks!

  15. #13
    Very Active Member nuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Glad to hear things are looking better for you bro. with you that I don't think that accident should total any of the bikes. I will let you know what they say about Heidi and my bike. Good luck.

  16. #14
    Very Active Member BlkM109r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    U.S. of A.
    Posts
    5,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones M109R View Post
    I totaled a truck once and bought it back from the insurance Co. and the title never changed hands. It always stayed in my name and was never turned into a salvage title. I would think the bike title would be exactly the same way. It would only go to a salvage title if you walked away from it and someone else bought it as salvage. I could be wrong but that is how it worked for me.
    true. When mine was totaled, they let me keep the bike for $1000 less in payout and I kept the title

  17. #15
    Very Active Member No Mas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    kansas City/Lee's summit
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones M109R View Post
    I totaled a truck once and bought it back from the insurance Co. and the title never changed hands. It always stayed in my name and was never turned into a salvage title. I would think the bike title would be exactly the same way. It would only go to a salvage title if you walked away from it and someone else bought it as salvage. I could be wrong but that is how it worked for me.
    Thats the way to do it. Mo. is not to hard of a state for salvage titles.

  18. #16
    Active Member Rumble44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Be sure to check with your insurance co., as every state is different. In Illinois, I was told they are not allowed to sell it back to you, but must sell it to a junk dealer. Good luck if your state allows it.
    2007 Red 109R Holley Air Cleaners,Kuryakyn Lic. Plate Frame, Rear Caliper Cover, XtreemRevolution Boogey Boards, KEWL METAL 2" handlebar risers, Harley Backrest Mod., Garmin on RAM Mount, A&R 6K HID, JSD

    There's always someone faster!

  19. #17
    Very Active Member snoobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    327

    Default Value of Bike?

    I just added up all the mods on the bike to set the value and came up with $5000! It is a 2006 with nearly 18K miles. KBB retail is 8K no mods.
    Will be forwarding info to insurance company for value of bike... what do you think?

    PS... M109 deal of the year 2009. I bought it pretty close to these mods (less about 800) a year ago with 4500 miles for $8200.

    Item #Upgrade Retail Vendor 1Curved License Plate Holder - Greggs $ 129.99 BrunosBikeParts.com 2DG Velocity 2-Into-1 Exhaust System $ 759.99 DennisKirk.com 3Kuryakyn Footpegs $ 33.99 DennisKirk.com 4Kuryakyn Footpeg Adapters $ 27.99 DennisKirk.com 5Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors $ 87.99 DennisKirk.com 6Kuryakyn ISO grips $ 55.99 DennisKirk.com 7Kuryakyn Grip End Helmet Lock $ 35.99 DennisKirk.com 8DynoJet Power commander $ 287.99 DennisKirk.com 9Braided Steel Brake Cables $ 199.95 DLP 10Engine Cover - Greggs $ 99.00 DLP 11Cobra Swing Arm Cover $ 50.00 DLP 12Kewlmetal Fork Caps $ 39.95 DLP 13Cobra Chrome Driveshaft Cover $ 47.99 DLP 14Chrome Brake/Clutch Levers $ 129.00 DLP 15
    Chrome Kick Stand $ 179.00 DLP 16Chrome Stock Wheels - with Bearings and Seals $ 850.00 moreschimotorsports.com 17Chrome Front Brake Calipers - 2 at 125 each
    $ 250.00 moreschimotorsports.com 18Chrome Rear Caliper $ 125.00 moreschimotorsports.com 19Chrome Peg Mounts $ 200.00 moreschimotorsports.com 20Chrome Rear Brake Caliper Bracket $ 65.00 moreschimotorsports.com 21Chrome Rear Hub $ 125.00 moreschimotorsports.com 22Hard bags - Mutazu JM Silver $ 295.00 www.mutazu.com 23UltraFlow AirKit for Suzuki M109R - SKU: XR-40-04
    $ 399.00 XtremeRevoluton 24Grasshopper Backrest - Carbon Fiber with Pocket
    $ 85.00 Grasshopper Limited 25Carbon Fiber Gel Seats $ 244.95 CruiserCustomizing.com 26Chrome Radiator Cover
    $ 169.99 BrunosBikeParts.com TOTAL
    $ 4,973.75

  20. #18
    Very Active Member snoobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
    My wife totaled mine Monday at about 25 mph in a down hill left hander, it broke the steering stop and lock off (12k worth of total damage). Adjuster told me frame has to be replaced they will not accept any repairs (in Arkansas). So he totaled mine and I bought it back from them for a fair price, gonna part out some and keep some, pretty sure I will get my money back easy. Already found a replacement bike gonna pick it up this weekend and start transfering all my goodies over. We have a Colorado trip the first week of August and I already got money in on it so I was like crap I do not want to ride my B-king to Colorado I will need back surgery before I get back LOL....but we found another 9 to put back in the stable..thank goodness for me and my arse.
    How much much did you pay to buy it back?

  21. #19
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    reality
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    I know of someone who just went thru this. The insurance company decided that the coverage for accesroies did not cover things like aftermarket exhaust because the bike came with exhaust. Or wheels, it came with wheels too. Even though he had coverage for 5k worth of accesories. Bottom line insurance companies suck, and they also vary from company to company and from state to state. Good luck.

  22. #20
    Very Active Member snoobzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoobzilla View Post
    I just added up all the mods on the bike to set the value and came up with $5000! It is a 2006 with nearly 18K miles. KBB retail is 8K no mods.
    Will be forwarding info to insurance company for value of bike... what do you think?

    PS... M109 deal of the year 2009. I bought it pretty close to these mods (less about 800) a year ago with 4500 miles for $8200.

    Item #Upgrade Retail Vendor 1Curved License Plate Holder - Greggs $ 129.99 BrunosBikeParts.com 2DG Velocity 2-Into-1 Exhaust System $ 759.99 DennisKirk.com 3Kuryakyn Footpegs $ 33.99 DennisKirk.com 4Kuryakyn Footpeg Adapters $ 27.99 DennisKirk.com 5Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors $ 87.99 DennisKirk.com 6Kuryakyn ISO grips $ 55.99 DennisKirk.com 7Kuryakyn Grip End Helmet Lock $ 35.99 DennisKirk.com 8DynoJet Power commander $ 287.99 DennisKirk.com 9Braided Steel Brake Cables $ 199.95 DLP 10Engine Cover - Greggs $ 99.00 DLP 11Cobra Swing Arm Cover $ 50.00 DLP 12Kewlmetal Fork Caps $ 39.95 DLP 13Cobra Chrome Driveshaft Cover $ 47.99 DLP 14Chrome Brake/Clutch Levers $ 129.00 DLP 15
    Chrome Kick Stand $ 179.00 DLP 16Chrome Stock Wheels - with Bearings and Seals $ 850.00 moreschimotorsports.com 17Chrome Front Brake Calipers - 2 at 125 each
    $ 250.00 moreschimotorsports.com 18Chrome Rear Caliper $ 125.00 moreschimotorsports.com 19Chrome Peg Mounts $ 200.00 moreschimotorsports.com 20Chrome Rear Brake Caliper Bracket $ 65.00 moreschimotorsports.com 21Chrome Rear Hub $ 125.00 moreschimotorsports.com 22Hard bags - Mutazu JM Silver $ 295.00 www.mutazu.com 23UltraFlow AirKit for Suzuki M109R - SKU: XR-40-04
    $ 399.00 XtremeRevoluton 24Grasshopper Backrest - Carbon Fiber with Pocket
    $ 85.00 Grasshopper Limited 25Carbon Fiber Gel Seats $ 244.95 CruiserCustomizing.com 26Chrome Radiator Cover
    $ 169.99 BrunosBikeParts.com TOTAL
    $ 4,973.75
    Final update...

    For the next unfortunate to have to deal with this. They originally tried to quote me a stock only value of 7400. I send them aftermarket list above plus another 300 I found and stressed that there were alot of chromed parts, not just a bunch of clip on stuff. They gave me more than half the value of 2700 of aftermarket.

    To sum it all up... the dealer and the insurance company made it sound like I didn't see a bunch of stuff and I was really worried. When I picked up the bike I was right on with what I remembered. Just shaking my head... they are going to total this? See attached pics. Note... thanks to Biscuitpimp for the turn signal he shipped to me FREE!!! The original was broken in accident.

    So Bike valued at 10,200. Salvage buy back of 2,800. Check to me of 7,400. Total for all fixes, including new paint job for around 3K. I have been drooling over factory orange for a long time. The guy is going to fix the tank and front fender and painted part of nacelle which would be about $1100 in parts new$ versus 1600 for all new paint... hmmm. Yeah, I will have a salvage title, but at 13K miles a year, how much is the bike going to be worth in 3 years anyway?

    So financially I am making out well. Physically, pretty much back to normal, but with an extra love handle in the middle of my hip (BIG bruise bump thing) for awhile longer. However, this really sucked. I would happily give up the 4K fincancial bonus to never have had this happen.

    New rule... blind corners are blind corners. They all hook until I can see that they don't.
    Last edited by snoobzilla; 07-17-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: grammar

  23. #21
    Very Active Member jdmitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fort Leonard Wood MO
    Posts
    2,703

    Default

    I'm glad that you are doing better and that the insurance paid you a fair amount for your 9. Good luck with all the new work that will be done to your bike.

    You can run, but you will just die tired..............

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->