Changing Headlight from US to UK

Thread: Changing Headlight from US to UK

Default Changing Headlight from US to UK

Hello,

I imported my M1800R (commonly called the M109R) from the US. I must convert the headlight to comply with UK standards. Does anyone know where I can find a UK headlight for my motorbike?

Regards,

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Default Headlight.

GW.Pretty sure all you have to change is the globe.Was thinking of importing a bike from the US some time back(bought the 9 instead)so I checked with our DMV here in Adelaide,and they told me that all was required was for the globe to be changed because the light dips to the left(in RHD countries),whereas in the US the light dips to the right.Check with your motor vehicle body to be sure.Hope this helps. KEZZ.

Default Changing Headlight from US to UK

Cheers Kezz,

I will investigate changing the globe.

Best regards,

GW

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Headlight in the US does not dip either way. The headlight only has a up/down adjustment and no left/right. IMO the beam is very centered and can not be altered. I would look to see online if there is a part # change. Not aware of any change.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

I think Iight have a headlight kicking
    about in my parts bin, £50 would buy it
    cheers!
    eat drink, be fat and drunk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jem View Post
    I think Iight have a headlight kicking
    about in my parts bin, £50 would buy it
    cheers!
    Hello Jem can you send some photos of the headlight if it is still available. Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Headlight in the US does not dip either way. The headlight only has a up/down adjustment and no left/right. IMO the beam is very centered and can not be altered. I would look to see online if there is a part # change. Not aware of any change.
    Hello FuturR, UK law requires all motorbikes to have a clear running light "center" on the vehicle. Basically, you must have an alternate light which illuminates if the headlight fails. This can be a 5 watt clear running light. Apparently, the UK Intruders have two lightbulbs in the headlight assembly. One bulb is the low/high beam and the other is the running light. So, I can either fabricate a clear running light or replace the existing headlight housing with a Suzuki Intruder housing, which will hopefully have the extra bulb. Regards

If you can't find the exact one you want, you could try a R2 light. The R2 headlights in the US come standard with a marker light just below the headlight.

Is your bike stock? I thought about bringing a modded M109r from the US to the UK once but thought it might be too much hassle with exhaust and breather mods, air ride etc.

What troubles did you have if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tav View Post
    Is your bike stock? I thought about bringing a modded M109r from the US to the UK once but thought it might be too much hassle with exhaust and breather mods, air ride etc.

What troubles did you have if any?
    Yes, my M109R is stock. I imported the motorbike when I returned from the US. I am preparing the motorbike for UK registration and it must pass the Motorbike Single Vehicle Assessment MSVA. Additionally, the motorbike must pass a MOT. The process is quite straight forward if the motorbike conforms to the VOSA requirements.

It would be great if you could keep me updated on how it all goes mate.

What would happen if your bike had a lot of mods? Say air ride, exhaust, maybe a 300 rear. Could it be done then?

Thanks mates for the advice. I discovered the US headlight has a blank plate for the side light. After some careful drilling I was able to mount a side light from an old Astra.

Hello Big Tav, If you need advice on importing a motorbike to the UK, contact Chris Corker at the VOSA office 4401489786162. He will advise you on all the requirements for registering a US motorbike in the UK.