Metzler tires for the C109
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metzler tires for the C109

Thumbs up Metzler tires for the C109

First of Al, a big thank you to Al on a previous post "Bridgestone vs. Metzler. After 20K miles, it was finally time to retread from the original OEM tires. I saw where Motorcycle Superstore had a great sale on the OEM's so on a whim I called my local Suzuki dealer for a tire quote. Turns out, they offered me Metzler 880 Marathons out the door for just 12 bucks more than what it would cost to get OEM Bridgestones shipped in from M/C Superstore & mounted up at their shop. I was skeptical since the back tire is a lower profile & the speedo would be off some more but after reading reviews on Metzler I said "go for it".
    Wow, what a difference! Night & day, like going from a truck to a sports car!
    Previously, I had always felt that the back tire was "in charge" of the bikes handling & when I first got the bike had to "re-learn" how to ride as you have to throw yourself into a turn with the OEM tires. Not so with the Metz. Now the front & back tires seem perfectly matched. Just a gentle lean into a turn & you can feel the front wheel pull you thru like it should. The front end also feels lighter, a very welcome side effect as the 109 is very heavy in the front end. I think this is due to A) a more rounded tread contour & B) the lowering of the rear end due to the lower profile rear tire (I feel as if my feet reach the ground easier). It's as if I now have power steering. Don't know how the tread life will hold up but the ride is much softer now so time will tell.
    Regarding the speedo being off, originally I figure I was off by about 5mph, now maybe 7-8mph. but I have a "trick up my sleeve" to correct this problem & will do a new post on it soon.
    Any one else who went Metz, join in & comment. The rest of you guys, don't think twice about it!
    Jokerman

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I was thinking about this exchange. But size does not Metzeler 55th According to the law in the Czech Republic it can be a problem in the control of police and accident insurance.
    However, the debate will certainly be interesting.

I'm a big fan of the Metzler 880. I've put them on all my bikes. And in the fall I'll put them on my C

Dennis Kirk

$176.99 - Front part #543227
    $246.99 - rear part # 540746

shipping $10 as of 10/11/11

and with the mets you get a wider lower profile tire too boot
    Last edited by RadGen; 10-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Suzuki windsheild, Cobra Fatty Bars, Suzuki LightBar, 8" Risers, Tank Bra, EMGO® "Big One" mirrors, Hard Chrome Big 3" Straights, Tsukayu hard bags, Russell Cycle Products Custom Saddle, Custom world rack and backrest, G-bushing, Bully FIC and TRE, Sage Brush Designs engine guard chaps. Metzler 880 tires

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Smile

two brothers .com have the best price on the metz.

I'm getting a Metzler radial ME 880, original size, front. The original fronts, at reccomended pressure were worn badly at 2500 miles, when I bought it,..Now at over 10,000.... 3 months later,..it's done for. Rear still has life.

The Metz looked to probably handle the rain better,..and I got H rating instead of V rating, which should last longer also. (Seriously, who travels at over 139 MPH, for more than a few seconds?)

I have high hopes,..and will run pressure at 41 Lbs, which should also improve wear.

I've been really happy with the metz tire on my C. I also noticed that I have much better traction when there is sand or gravel on the road. Have not ridden in the rain yet.

i just did this switch and yeah i have to agree this is absolutely amazing the difference in how the bike handles
    GO GO GODZILLA

Have not done the switch yet as my back tire picked up a nail from the construction in the Neighborhood and so the rear tire was replaced for free by my local dealer. So that has put off my metz change out. I have Metz's on the C50T and love the way they handle, have close to 9 or 10 thousand miles.
    Looking forward to see what other people post on this subject.

Metz 880........there is nothing else.
    'Kiwis can't fly....but they sure can ride'
    K-Drive Panniers, Suzuki Passenger Floorboards, Suzuki Passenger Backrest, Suzuki Rack, Suzuki Windshield and Lowers, Suzuki Lightbar, Suzuki Highway Bars, Grasshopper Rider Backrest, Kuryakyn Dually Highway Footpegs,Kuryakyn Marlin's Bullet Billet Clock, Garmin Zumo 660, Suzuki Tank Cover. Stebel Air Horn, Breakaway Cruise Control, Custom Rack, GIpro-ATRE. Kuryakyn Grips. Drilled Exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrgman View Post
    Have not done the switch yet as my back tire picked up a nail from the construction in the Neighborhood and so the rear tire was replaced for free by my local dealer. So that has put off my metz change out. I have Metz's on the C50T and love the way they handle, have close to 9 or 10 thousand miles.
    Looking forward to see what other people post on this subject.
    Me too. 4500 on the stock Bridgestones and the left side of my front tire is already looking pretty worn. I will probably have to replace it before I hit 7k. Not sure why it's wearing so fast. Maybe all the chip sealing I drive on during my work commute? Might have to try the Metzlers next time around. Better handling would be nice.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by ace4aday View Post
    Might have to try the Metzlers next time around. Better handling would be nice.
    while i was not happy with the wear on my first set of OEM Bridgestones, of which I will take a large blame for due to them being underinflated when I got the bike and running felony speeds across PA that way and me mis-reading the frame sticker.

I have absolutely no complaints on the handling characteristics of the Bridgestones after switching to 40-41 lbs in the front and 42-43 on the back.

'08 C/RT----- CLASSY, COMFORTABLE & CAPABLE
    Heading to the hills for a day of THROTTLE THERAPY is cheaper then an hour on the cuckoo couch

I've been running at 41F/42R since I bought the bike. The handling is not terrible with the Bridgestones, but if there room for improvement, I'm willing to give it a try. Anything to get a safety advantage is how I'm looking at it.

We had the local track days Pirelli dealer come to a MC demo event that Intel put on last week. He said the max pressure indicated on the tire corresponds to the max loading on the tire (which is a per axle value). He suggested max pressure for 2-up riding, but dropping into the high 30's for solo riding. Most of my riding is 1-up. Maybe I should try dropping down a little and seeing how it handles.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

Can someone explain the three flavors of front tire that Metzler makes in the C's size range? I can't find anything explaining their naming convention.

Can someone explain the three flavors of front tire that Metzler makes in the C's size range? I can't find anything explaining their naming convention.
    I think this tire is sold as blackwall and white sidewall. My stock g852 Bridgestone has worn and left a sucked in middle despite 42 psi, never seen this type of wear, ordered the Metz, after considering a 235/55-16 darkside for half the money.240/50-16 is 247.00 at Dennis Kirk, hope I get more than the 6k the g852 got me

Quote Originally Posted by ELI View Post
    I think this tire is sold as blackwall and white sidewall. My stock g852 Bridgestone has worn and left a sucked in middle despite 42 psi, never seen this type of wear, ordered the Metz, after considering a 235/55-16 darkside for half the money.240/50-16 is 247.00 at Dennis Kirk, hope I get more than the 6k the g852 got me

I had a very similar problem with my stocker but only 4200 miles. I just made the switch to the Metz and have about 300 miles on it. Absolutely love it!
    2008 C109R - Hard Krome 2 into 1 Sideburners, Custom Air intakes

Not exactly what I meant, ELI. Motorcyle-Superstore has 3 models of black walls listed for the size of our front tires. They are listed at HV, HR, and HB. I'm pretty sure they are forms of bias and radials, but I don't know much about tires. I'm wondering what the differences are and how the those differences relate to handling on a motorcycle. There is quite a spread in price also....
    Last edited by ace4aday; 08-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I believe the speed ratings are the differances you may be talking about. Our 109s should have v ratings for over 130 h is 130. r refers to radial b is bias,I thinkI would only use a v rated radial to match the rear radial.

Default Bridgestone

I have the RT model with the Bridgestone White Walls, It sucks that I cant find any other manufactures of tyres with white walls that will fit my bike! I called the dealer the other day, to find out a price on a newrear Bridgestone tyre and the dealer wanted $420 AU supply and fit? I am happy with the way the Bridgestones perform on the bike, but it means they have the control of the tyre market....

Blain
    MODS update: G Bushing, Bully Controller, Kurakyn Longhorn Pegs, Suzuki Engine Guards, Suzuki Tank Cover, Suzuki Drive Shaft Cover, Cobra Spot Light Bar & Visors, Suzuki Headlight Visor, 3" Roadburner Straights (chrome), National Cycle Fender Tips, Show Chrome Solo Rack, Baron 3" Tacho, Riders Seat Backrest, Gman TRE and Stealth K&N Filters, Highway Hawk Tailight Cover, Irate Customs Radiator Grill and Grim Reaper Mirrors.

I have always avoided whitewall tires, if I bought a cheap set for my work car,Id flip the whitewalls to the inside, however some old bikes look good with them,white letters are cool tho dis-a peering it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI View Post
    I believe the speed ratings are the differances you may be talking about. Our 109s should have v ratings for over 130 h is 130. r refers to radial b is bias,I thinkI would only use a v rated radial to match the rear radial.
    I wrote those down wrong. There are HR, VR, and HB. If you're correct, it means:

HR - 130mph radial
    VR - 149mph radial
    HB - 130 mph biased

And you're saying because the only rear tire available is a VR, they should be matched. Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

Had my Metz installed today, my conclusion, GPS shows,OEM was 66 [email protected] rpm now 64 mph only 2mph diff. as stock dia. is 26.60 metz 25.9 not significant to notice. what is noticeable is noise, much quieter on the metz, profile looks narrower do to a more rounded tire, handling in twistees way better. Hope to get more than the 6k stock tire got me. The center of the stock oem was thin enough it felt like you could push your finger through it, an I was going triple digits on that piece of crap, a cheap tire, it was always kept at 42psi.Idont care what other riders thik, I will never run the Excedra again!!!

Had my Metz' installed today. My thoughts after the first 20 miles are that noticeably less effort is required to counter-steer and that there is less road noise compared to the Bridgestones. I can't wait to get these suckers broken in so I can see what they can do!
    Last edited by ace4aday; 08-25-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Had my Metz' installed today. My thoughts after the first 20 miles are that noticeably less effort is required to counter-steer and that there is less road noise compared to the Bridgestones. I can't wait to get these suckers broken in so I can see what they can do!
    the bike feels lighter,almost as if the bridgestones were car tires with the flatter profile. They looked fatter than the metz, and handled completely different. I think you get what you pay for applies here.

Default Metzeler = smoother, easier ride

Thanks a lot fellow C109 riders... I read all there was on this forum about tires, and decided to try the Metzeler for my second set.

I also found that switching to Metzelers (at 41-42 psi) made a huge difference from the Bridgestones... I actually had to re-program myself, as it requires of lot less counter steering to handle the bike. Moreover, it is way more stable in curves, especially with the badly designed curves we have all over Quebec. The Metzeler is definitely rounder than the Bridgestone. I also find that the Metzeler provides a smoother ride (went for 580 km ride on day one with the Metz). Can't say anything about durability yet, but even if they do not last as long as the Bridgestone, the next set will be Metzeler.

Just to add to what others said about the Metzeler for the C109... Only one choice for the back (ME 880 Marathon XXL, 240/50 R 16 M/C 84V TL). For the front, dealer may offer multiple choices (same size, different specs). In my case, two dealers were quoting me the "wrong" one, and I had to correct them. The ideal, recommended, one you want is :
    ME 880 Marathon V Rated, 150/80 R 16 M/C 71V TL
    the one they were quoting me was:
    ME 880 Marathon S/H Rated, 150/80 - 16 M/C 71H TL (not even a radial! )
    as mentioned earlier, another Metzeler with good sizing but non-matching speed rating is:
    ME 880 Marathon S/H Rated, 150/80 R 16 M/C TL 71H

I can't say if the V (240km/h) vs H (210 km/h) speed rating is absolutely essential, but it is recommended to match speed ratings. Also, I feel much more comfortable/safe at 200 km/h (125mph) with the Metzelers than I did with the Bridgestones. It just feels more stable.

Cheers,

- Stéphane

Its important to run a vr radial to match the rear, great info as many people try to save money and run the h rated radial, Im sure they would be fine but not for me, why have a v rated rear, then put a bias h or h radial?I think any one running a car tire should also be at least v rated.Some are running rear tires on the front, from a goldwing I believe, they have deeper tread and may get more miles than the v rated radial.Metzeler is a spendy tire,but all I used on my 1400. I do wish they made a 260vr or 280 vr for the 16 " rim,I there appears to be room.Any one who believes the Bridgestones to be as good, probably has never tried the Metz or is scared of the price. Wish the parent company of Metz Pirelli would make there mt 66 series in radial for this bike they are way cheaper then the Metz. Any Metz riders tell us how many miles they got off a rear

Very Active Member grandpatractor's Avatar

Well I do think the Metz handled well. Although most any new tire is going to feel better than an old worn out one.I didn't like that the casing was thinner than the bridgestone. When both tires are worn out, the bridgestone is about2/32" thicker than the Metz at the bottom of the tread depth. I should clarify. This is on the front tires as I haven't run a rear metz.

I never tried a Metz rear since the size is smaller and the tread depth to start is only 7/32 vs the BS at 9/32 .
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

Quote Originally Posted by grandpatractor View Post
    Well I do think the Metz handled well. Although most any new tire is going to feel better than an old worn out one.I didn't like that the casing was thinner than the bridgestone. When both tires are worn out, the bridgestone is about2/32" thicker than the Metz at the bottom of the tread depth. I should clarify. This is on the front tires as I haven't run a rear metz.

I never tried a Metz rear since the size is smaller and the tread depth to start is only 7/32 vs the BS at 9/32 .
    Tred depth can be deceiving,soft tires wear faster than touring tires, the crotch rocket riders up here like Michelin, my oem rear tire was so soft in the middle you could almost push your finger through it!! I dont believe the tire was a steel belted like the metz is. Ive ran a metz right to the cord once!

Ok.. somebody want to call me an ambulance? I think i had a heart attack

I priced out Metz local
    Front:$302
    Rear:$418

WOWZers

I just bought a pair from Dennis Kirk, rear,251.00 to the door v rated front,181.00. thats 432.00 for the pair, almost half of your 720,shipped to your door, fresh dot#s too, not old tires some dealer has had laying around, always look the dot #s over they are there for a reason I guess!

Default Just paid 432$ (before taxes) for both Metz

Quote Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
    Ok.. somebody want to call me an ambulance? I think i had a heart attack

I priced out Metz local
    Front:$302
    Rear:$418

WOWZers
    Before your heart gives up...

These are retail prices. Contact your dealer, he should be able to get you a decent price. I am further east, but same country. Got them last week at my Suzuki dealer, and here is what I paid:
    Front : 301.99 (retail) - 120.80 (discount) = 181.19 $CA (183 $US)
    Rear : 417.99 (retail) - 167.20 (discount) = 250.79 $CA (253 $US)

For me, the most painful part was the bloody 9% Quebec provincial sales tax... knowing that some fellow Canadians out west pay 0% PST on their new Metz... Yup... I miss the Rockies, the long summer days, and the good old Alberta taxes... (lived in Edmonton for 10 years).
    Last edited by smg3d; 09-07-2011 at 12:13 AM.