Metzler tires for the C109 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metzler tires for the C109

My dealer doesn't deal in tires.. I'll have to ask another one...

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

$455 shipped (USA) is the regular price for the pair ('V' rated) at Motorcycle Superstore. Had them in 2 days. They go on sale periodically there also. Paid $110 to have a local dealer install them.
    Last edited by ace4aday; 09-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

here it's $100 for the front and $150 for the rear (or that's what it was last time) to have rubber installed if you just roll the bike in. It's cheaper if you bring just the wheels in.

But I don't have any way of lifting the big beast to get the wheels off... I have a 3 ton floor jack but I don't think it'll work for very long.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
    here it's $100 for the front and $150 for the rear (or that's what it was last time) to have rubber installed if you just roll the bike in. It's cheaper if you bring just the wheels in.

But I don't have any way of lifting the big beast to get the wheels off... I have a 3 ton floor jack but I don't think it'll work for very long.
    250$ for install seems very excessive to me!!! Just to give an idea, here they charged me 35$ each for install (@ my Suzuki dealer), and I have a hitch on my C109. Note that most dealers should be able to order the Metz. I went to see them, told them what I wanted, not in stock in Quebec City (of course... I know of only one other C109 in the region), two days to get them (it took two days because the front one actually came from "your area"... Calgary), than I brought the bike in and they installed them for 2 * 35$ while I waited... When I shopped around, the other two Suzuki dealers were charging similar for installs (70-90$ for both). 250$ sounds like a rip-off... It is roughly a one-hour job... It may be worth checking in Edmonton...

Good luck!

2008 C109RT Black-Gray / bought June 2010 with 600km / 61,000km as Sep. 2014
    Clean front end / TRE / Spike intakes / K&N filters / Wideband O2 / Drilled pipes / 266mm Darkside Federal 595 / Tacho / LED signals & relay box / Mustang fender bib / Rear fender in spike shape / 23 cu.ft. trailer / ISO-Grips / Scythe Mirrors / 20+ Skulls. TODO : Horn / Paint / More spike intakes / Better bags / ECU hacking...

Well being that it's "oil country" here the stores/shops figure if you have the money for the toys you have the money for everything else so they charge more.

I will shop around though.. 'cause.. ouch

Had my front Metz screwed on today,47.00. 50-75 is the rate average here. I also dumped dynabeads in, first time for me, heard good things,thought if it does save tire wear,its worth it.

So I priced out some tires... debates debates debates.
    Stock Bridgestone
    ME880
    Or Avon cobras
    Last edited by Gold5th; 09-25-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Default Metz 880 : stickier than stock... maybe not!!!

I now have about 1500km on my new Metz 880. Still love them so much more than the stock Bridgestones.

That said, I was under the impression the Metz was to be more sticky than the Bridgestone... but with the Bridgestone, I never once got the rear to spin and burn rubber on start... but I frequently burn rubber with the Metz. Note that my goal has never been to spin the rear, I just like quick take-off... and I do not think I have changed my driving habits with the Metz (except maybe higher top-speed since smoother at high speed). Could it be because the Metz is more round, hence smaler surface contact with the road.

Anyone noticed something similar?

If not, it might be the slight fuel enrichment that was done at the same time that may have slightling increase power (my Suzuki mech increased it to the max possible with the stock FI controller).

Anyway, if I keep that up, the Metz certainly will not last long...

Clean front end / TRE / Spike intakes / K&N filters / Wideband O2 / Drilled pipes / 266mm Darkside Federal 595 / Tacho / LED signals & relay box / Mustang fender bib / Rear fender in spike shape / 23 cu.ft. trailer / ISO-Grips / Scythe Mirrors / 20+ Skulls. TODO : Horn / Paint / More spike intakes / Better bags / ECU hacking...

I think the metz run a harder 'touring' compound,not as sticky, plus the metz more rounded profile may be a smaller contact patch on straight riding, but they handle soo much beter in the curves!

Definitely loving the corners with the Metz on. It's so much easier that I still over-do the counter pressure occasionally and lean over farther than I intend too. I got my first good, post break-in run on Skyline here in PDX yesterday and was impressed. I need to get out away from town where I can really grind the boards sans traffic and driveways. Unfortunately the weather is this weekend. I may just have to put on the rain gear and give them a good wet test nows that the roads have been well rinsed.

What are you all running for pressures on the Metz? I have mine set at 42R/40F. Not sure if this is optimal or not for maximum life....
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

I run them at 42-42. runs fine but have not tried anything else. I ride mostly 1-up, but also 2-up with a loaded 23 cu.ft. trailer.

According to Metzeler web site, recommended pressures are:

Front :
    Solo 38-40
    2 Up 40-42

Rear :
    Solo 40
    2 Up 42

but since the C109RT is roughly 900lbs, I run them at 42-42 all the time.

The Suzuki manual and sticker on the bike says 36-42, but that is for the Bridgestone.

So it has come time for me to change tires as the front tire is really worn and is in need of replacement.
    So was talking to the dealer and he cannot order the Metz tires but suggested Avon Tires as Metz and Avon are the same company. Anyone have any experience with Avon Tires?
    Can order the Metz online if needed or go to another Dealer in town that deals in Metz.
    Brother has a M109 and likes the Dunlop Elite 3 over the Metz.
    I have Metz on my C50T and like them.
    So I thought I was set on Metz for the new tires but now I'm not sure.
    So looking for what you all think?
    Thanks in advance.

The Avon Cobras and the Mets ME880s are very similar, direct competitors based on what my dealer says, but the Avon's are a touch cheaper.

Very Active Member grandpatractor's Avatar

The only avons that I see in the correct size are all bias. The only radial that I see are the Metz or the bridgestone. At least in the v speed rating. And the E-3 don't come in our size.
    Unless you put one of these on. I liked it on mine.
    https://www.denniskirk.com/dunlop/re....prd/65843.sku
    J.D.

AKA Big King Daddy $hi+

I'm lovin' the Metz. Get them from Motorcycle Superstore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrgman View Post
    So it has come time for me to change tires as the front tire is really worn and is in need of replacement.
    So was talking to the dealer and he cannot order the Metz tires but suggested Avon Tires as Metz and Avon are the same company. Anyone have any experience with Avon Tires?
    Can order the Metz online if needed or go to another Dealer in town that deals in Metz.
    Brother has a M109 and likes the Dunlop Elite 3 over the Metz.
    I have Metz on my C50T and like them.
    So I thought I was set on Metz for the new tires but now I'm not sure.
    So looking for what you all think?
    Thanks in advance.
    Avon is owned by Cooper tire, Metz by Pirelli, last I heard, both better than the oem Bridgestone IMO.Neither one are cheap, you get what you pay for!!!No E-3 Dunnies for the c.

Default Noisy?

Hey guys, glad I found this thread on the Metz.

I have had the stock Bridgestone and then the Bridgestone Exedra and they were ok for me but not happy with the lifespan on the front.

So I thought I’dtry the Metz Marathon Ultra on my C109. It feels good BUT have any of you noticed an increase in road noise? It’s either the tire or coincidental but I’m pretty sure its the tire as I have noticed the sound does change on different road surfaces and with the clutch pulled in just rolling the noise is still there.

I just want to know if the extra noise from these tires is normal or should I be concerned. I’ve put about 500km on it so far and done about 300 of that on the highway at speed with no wobble or anything.

Thanks