M109 Rider Forums banner

Ever been caught in the rain with a duck?

11K views 78 replies 24 participants last post by  vapiper 
#1 ·
I mean the air box covers, you sickos! You're not gonna be sucking rain into the engine with these, are you?

#2 ·
I WAS CAUGHT IN A RAIN STORM THAT YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE ON THE WAY TO THE MID-ATLANTIC LAST YEAR TOOK US 7 TO 8 HRS TO GO THRU CONNECTICUT(I LIVE IN MASS TOTAL RIDE TO VA WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 10HR 15MIN) COULDN'T DRIVE MORE THEN 2 OR 3 EXIT WITH OUT STOPPING :nojoke: BIKE RODE FINE HAD NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER.

ALSO SENSE THEN SOME OF THE GUYS HERE AND AT MY WORK CALL ME RAIN MAN CAUSE I SOME HOW ALWAYS GET CAUGHT IN THE RAIN NEVER HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH BIKE.WHEN I WASH BIKE I DO PUT SHOWER CAPS OVER THEM JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

#4 ·
This quesiton should be put into a FAQ perhaps on Duck's website and the shop talk FAQ

#12 ·
i'm afraid i am going to have to agree with t-bone on this one. seems like there are a lot of people asking questions that can be easily answered on search. i just did a quick search before posting this to see what would happen. i entered "water in air intake" and the fourth thread answered the question. of course, you have to read through each of the first four threads in order to determine what info is in each, but it gets the job done.

and just so you don't think we are just bashing you, the answer is no, you will not suck in all kinds of water if you have the ducks mod and are in a rain storm. there are people on here who have the tornadoes intakes and they suck WAY WAY more air than the ducks or edelbrock mod do and they have reported no problems when riding in the rain or after being caught in a hard downpour.

#13 · (Edited)
i'm afraid i am going to have to agree with t-bone on this one. seems like there are a lot of people asking questions that can be easily answered on search.
And the harm in asking the question anyway is what? Is it a crime? Is a site violation? What would you rather read, a thread about a subject that may have been discussed before that may also include info that wasn't discussed before, or flaming posts bashing people for talking about something that's already been discussed? Talk about a waste....

#14 ·
this will go on and on just tbone suggested in his post. you don't get how the whole online forum works and you get all pissed off about it.

people are telling you what you should be doing in order to keep from cluttering this board up with redundant questions that can be easily answered by simply doing more reading. the information is out there, you just have to look for it. there is no problem or "crime" as you put it, for answering a question but you should do the research because the answers are out there.
now if you are too lazy to do a search or just simply disregard what others on here have suggested to you and then post a question that is going to get you flamed, then so be it. there are plenty of members on here who have matches, lighters, torches, etc as you have already experienced on here with your previous posts about trailers and the sort.

so go ahead post away. it is a free country. just don't cry and whine when everyone flames you later and then try and play the victim.

#15 ·
this will go on and on just tbone suggested in his post. you don't get how the whole online forum works and you get all pissed off about it.

people are telling you what you should be doing in order to keep from cluttering this board up with redundant questions that can be easily answered by simply doing more reading. the information is out there, you just have to look for it. there is no problem or "crime" as you put it, for answering a question but you should do the research because the answers are out there.
now if you are too lazy to do a search or just simply disregard what others on here have suggested to you and then post a question that is going to get you flamed, then so be it. there are plenty of members on here who have matches, lighters, torches, etc as you have already experienced on here with your previous posts about trailers and the sort.

so go ahead post away. it is a free country. just don't cry and whine when everyone flames you later and then try and play the victim.
Damn,,, that was a real good post WCR!

<golf clap> :clap2:

:D

#17 ·
Just my two cents. As a new guy to the forum I see the search debate going on over and over again. I do use it and find what I am looking for most of the time. BUT I have also learned many new things in later posts on the same subject. Sometimes it is someone new who has an answer that is a different way of looking at things. That means that someone had something to add to the discussion which causes numerous posts on the same subject. I for one have seen sooooooo many times how to mount a 280 on a stock rim I just cant believe it. So all I do is don't put the cursor on that post and go on to what interests me. It is like TV. If you don't like the show don't watch it. But if you click it on and still don't like it then Its your fault for turning it on in the first place when you knew it was Hee Haw reruns.
JMHO
Bob

#19 ·
If you don't like the show don't watch it. But if you click it on and still don't like it then Its your fault for turning it on in the first place when you knew it was Hee Haw reruns.
JMHO
Bob
Yep,,, new to web forums too I see,,, :doh: come on man, you ain't this ignorant :D

<waves> Hi Ole Yeller

#22 ·
Aside from that...no grampi water will not get sucked in to the intakes unless your intakes are under water. Asking a question in itself is not so much a problem grampi....but there are numerous threads on this subject...it's really the reaction that you always give after the answers that make you a "mark"
As far as Steve (T-Bone) he is a bit of a antagonist...hehe...to put it mildly, and I don't always agree with him on things,but he takes as good as he gives, and I like Steve immensely...and that's why I always leave him with the message "bite me T-Bone" :bigthumbsup: He really is good with information about motorcycling, regardless if you don't like what he has to say or the way he says it. Hope top see you in June if we're both up that way Steve.

#25 ·
Hope top see you in June if we're both up that way Steve.
Me to bro! I hope to come down for Saturday,,,

Still trying to recover from being out of work for 6+ weeks due to a serious medical problem I just had. All is good though! Dodged a bullet so to speak.

#27 ·
Nope i am not. I just don't think that if you know what is in a thread and don't like the answer then you ought not to take a swing at the person posting. I have been on both sides of internet fights over the years and just think they are stupid. You can't climb thru a cable and punch someone out so you just go back and forth escalating the issue. Tempers flare and things get said. To me it is all to much High School antics. I try to come here to talk to people who help me with my bike and who are fun to talk to. If I have to worry about that I might post something someone finds stupid and get pounded then why do it at all. My skin has gotten much thicker over the years of being on sites for the auto industry and have seen all kinds of personalities and egos. Mine included on the negative sometimes. Some people are very helpful. I enjoy this site until it gets into an argument. Then it just is no longer fun. T-bone I watch your antics and realize for the most part your just having fun and I enjoy a good roast. So that is your way. But you also have a lot to share and thats good also. I guess it is just the way you want to communicate. And that is also OK with me. Not that you need my OK. OK????

#28 ·
BTW T Bone Been following your Health problems elsewere and hope you get up to speed soon. Your being down has slowed your sarcasam response level way down.
Get Better and them get some rideing time in.
Bob

#30 ·
Thanks man! doing FANTASTIC now! not 3 weeks after the surgery I was back on the bike :a18: I was like SCREW the pain I'm RIDING!!! Best therapy ever!

My last appt with my surgeon, I come walkin in with my DMH jacket on and my Domain Decay matching helmet and he just shook his head :D

#32 ·
T-Bone
You going to be at Rolling Thunder. I am leaving on May 19th for the wall with the Run For The Wall Calif group. Sure would like to meet you if possible.

#43 ·
Although I don't typically agree with T-bone's "tactful" nature, especially with newbies, I have to agree that a simple search would yield so many easy answers to very common questions.

For example, I just clicked on the simple search link (not even the advanced search feature) and typed in "ducks covers in rain"; here's a link to just one of the threads it pulled up:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117953&highlight=ducks+covers+rain

I think if new people would at least try to use the search feature, at least half of these kinds of questions could easily be answered. For a regular member like Grampi...shame on you, there's no excuse for you not using the search button! :-\

#45 ·
Although I don't typically agree with T-bone's "tactful" nature, especially with newbies, I have to agree that a simple search would yield so many easy answers to very common questions.

For example, I just clicked on the simple search link (not even the advanced search feature) and typed in "ducks covers in rain"; here's a link to just one of the threads it pulled up:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117953&highlight=ducks+covers+rain

I think if new people would at least try to use the search feature, at least half of these kinds of questions could easily be answered. For a regular member like Grampi...shame on you, there's no excuse for you not using the search button! :-\
i knew Mary would agree. very well said. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

#44 ·
I'm with Gramps on this one. Ask away. You get a feeling of personal interaction between people when they are answering you directly. What is the benefit of wasting all your time bashing the guy. You don't want to answer the question? Then **** off and move on. Somebody else will. No need to put your skinny ass in the middle of everything. Last time I checked, it wasn't your job to police the board.

#53 ·
I'm with Gramps on this one. Ask away. You get a feeling of personal interaction between people when they are answering you directly. What is the benefit of wasting all your time bashing the guy. You don't want to answer the question? Then **** off and move on. Somebody else will. No need to put your skinny ass in the middle of everything. Last time I checked, it wasn't your job to police the board.
It just baffles the chit out of me that people can't just ignore threads they're not interested in. Instead they bich and complain about how another thread about a subject that's already been covered clutters up the site, while they themselves clutter up the site even more with their biching comments. Sounds a little hypocritcal to me.

#46 ·
Joking right?

:joke:I thought it was the beginning of a joke. "did you ever get caught with a duck in the rain?" HAHA I have never been caught with a duck at all, I am just not partial to ducks. lol

I agree that everyone should try to search first. That said, the search terms are the key to getting good results. There are many mis-spelled terms and wrong terms used all over the net and it is sometimes difficult to know what terms are likely to get the desired results. On a secondary note, T-Bone brings a good point to the table. Grampi has been here long enough to know the terms and should have no issue with the search first philosophy. However, T-bone, it is the same energy used to answer the question as it is to complain about it, but i know you enjoy the latter so much more. LOL

#47 ·
While there are times when people ask questions that have been directly answered a dozen times, there are also occasions when it doesn't hurt to ask a question again. The thread that Mary pointed out is almost a year old. Someone else might have had different experiences since then or learned that some types of Ducks' mods fair better than others.

#48 · (Edited)
T-Bone is a perfect example of what happens when you haven't gotten a piece of a$$ in years because you live in your mom's basement.

#49 ·
grampi, I seldom ever say anything about anyone asking a question on here without searching. I usually find the answer for them then explain how the search works.

But you've been here since August 2006, even longer than I have. Or longer than T-bone has. Longer than most members on here have. And you're on here quite a bit. I'm sure by now you have read the answer to that question multiple times. Maybe you've forgotten the answer, or maybe you just want to start another post to get folks responding for another 3 or 4 pages.

I think as a senior member we should set examples of how things are done, not just type words to see them appear on a screen then sit back and see what the response is.

Wouldn't you agree?

#50 ·
grampi, I seldom ever say anything about anyone asking a question on here without searching. I usually find the answer for them then explain how the search works.

But you've been here since August 2006, even longer than I have. Or longer than T-bone has. Longer than most members on here have. And you're on here quite a bit. I'm sure by now you have read the answer to that question multiple times. Maybe you've forgotten the answer, or maybe you just want to start another post to get folks responding for another 3 or 4 pages.

I think as a senior member we should set examples of how things are done, not just type words to see them appear on a screen then sit back and see what the response is.

Wouldn't you agree?
i know i do. :joke:

don't know why i feel so "testy" today, maybe it is because i gave up sugary drinks, fast food, and alcohol for lent and am now near the end of a 40-day withdrawal period. :joke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.