Air Box Mod to Mount Hyperchargers or Other Custom Intake
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Box Mod to Mount Hyperchargers or Other Custom Intake

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Default Air Box Mod to Mount Hyperchargers or Other Custom Intake

MOD YOUR STOCK AIR BOX AND FILTERS TO MAKE MOUNTS FOR CUSTOM INTAKES

This is my first effort at a full fledged “How-To”, so give me some feedback on not just the mod, but the How-To itself.

Well, I liked the look of hyperchargers, but thought it made no sense to spend $750 for the kits that are out there.

I found a similar looking intake, but that left me in need of a way to mount them to my bike. I took apart my stock intake and came up with what follows.

When I did it, I was not thinking it was a big deal or that anyone else may be interested in it, and I was figuring out the process as I went, so I have no pictures.

I posted my result in a couple of places an several people asked for a How-To on the mod, but with no pictures, it would have been a little tough.

JMAKAMN was one of the inquiring members. I was going to walk him through it and have him do the How-To, but figured it would work out better if he just sent me his parts and I did the mod so I could take pictures this time around. So, I am not sure where JMAKAMN got the air boxes he sent me, but you might want to let the person know that their bike was puking a little oil.

Thanks to BigpapaM109 for the stock air filters.

Let’s get down to it then:
    I trust you can get to this point, stock air boxes and filters removed:

Remove the drain lines so they do not get damaged, you will need them later:

Note that the click in tab on the air box on the left, which is the right side air box, is broken off. I just do not want to get blamed for this later.

Next: Take a Dremel, saw or whatever tool you like and cut the fiber filters off of their mounting plates:

Next: Trim the filters’ mounting plates so you keep the seal:

Next: Be sure to remove this high spot:

Next: Now do the other one:

Next: Grab something in a black heavy plastic. I have tons of Dewalt boxes around, so that was what I used as my donor:

Next: Cut out a section:

Next: Use some course sandpaper and add a consistent texture to the filter plates and the donor cut out:

Next: Use a good glue of your liking and mount the filter plates to the donor section:

Clamp this up and allow to dry:

Next: Move on to the air boxes We want to keep the sections in “color” (even thought the color is black) and remove the Black & White sections:

Using your dremel, or other cutting tool, cut away the portions of the stock air box outside of the filtered air chamber. Make sure to leave the mounting tab so you have a place to bolt back onto the bike:

Next: Do the other one:

Next: Get the sander back out and clean these up and put a good texture on the entire outside:

Next: If you used a 30 minute plastic epoxy, your plates should be done by now. Unclamp and sand the edges and surface to get a matching texture:

Next: Trace the hole and bolt pattern of your chosen intake:

Next: Use your tracing to transfer matching holes onto your mounting plate:

Next: Glue your mounting plates onto the boxes and clamp them together. You may as well reattach the drain lines here as well:

Let the glue dry and you are done:

Mount them on your bike and use appropriate bolts to secure the intake through the mounting holes.

It should look like this:

Hopefully, JMAKAMN will post some pictures when he get these mounted up to his bike.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Is there supposed to be more pics ??

I see 30 pics, not counting the two avatars.

how many are you seeing?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I see them now. WOW that looks good. I am going to do that to mine. I think I will use plexi glass to cover the opening. Then paint them.

Talking

EXCELLENT JOB AND WRITE UP

I thought you'd be using some of that carbon fiber that you're hoarding
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by EY3LESS View Post
    EXCELLENT JOB AND WRITE UP

I thought you'd be using some of that carbon fiber that you're hoarding

Thank you.

This how-to was a duplication on a prior mod, before the CF.

I am holding on to them right now, waiting for a scrap that will cover the mounting plate.

I did not think that needed to be part of the how to, but we may see a picture of it soon

i will definately post pics when i get them mounted cant wait excellant write up
    "TO PUNISH AND ENSLAVE"

08 M109R2, Cobra Swepts, PCIII, Debeaved, Debadged, 2" bones, more to come

Very Active Member RonnieTheBull's Avatar

Good job bro....very detailed and the outcome looks great

Great job!! Very inspirational and it looks fantastic!

I wish I had tools to play around with to do cool stuff like that
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Very Active Member

It kills me how 2 or more people can come up with the same idea.I was drawing this out la couple of months back and never got around to it. Great minds think a like. Great write up!

One thing I would do differently is to run a long bolt or piece of all thread through the box. I have made a few different intakes and used resin glues like fiberglass or epoxy and it tends to want to crack after awhile.At least with the bolt going through it it's a safety back up for you.Hate to see you lose a hypercharger on the road some where.

Again Kudos!!! Looks Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert May View Post
    One thing I would do differently is to run a long bolt or piece of all thread through the box. I have made a few different intakes and used resin glues like fiberglass or epoxy and it tends to want to crack after awhile.At least with the bolt going through it it's a safety back up for you.Hate to see you lose a hypercharger on the road some where.

Again Kudos!!! Looks Great!!!
    I am not too worried about that on this one in particular as I am still planning a carbon fiber wrap.

Even without it, plastic epoxies melt the plastic together as much as they act like glue.

If that is a concern though, you could always leave one or two of the stock filter mounting bolts.

I expect people to take this mod and mod it, so go crazy.

Look, even my first reply thinks he will do it in Plexiglas.

Mod on!

Excellent mod and write up!!!!

Great idea one of the best ive seen yet,this is the best part off this forum Keep up the good work

Beautiful job bro..... This is the exact way i originally mounted my Air filter housings back in 08 but i went with an aluminum front plate and added a "safety" bolt straight through the back of the box just incase the glue ever gave up and the front plate tried to seperate... I since switched to the aluminum adapters.......

I will say though, yours are alot cleaner than mine were... Again Very nice job

i did this mod on my 90 after seeing a few of the 9's doin it because there are no after market intakes for the 90 yet.

Last edited by ixm01ws6; 01-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    CAPZ LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Thank you all.

I do want to be clear that I do not see this mod so much as a hyper charger mod as it is converting a stock air box to a universal mount to accept any custom intake you like. That is the part I want credit for. People have done the chargers before. The mount is the part from my head.

Here is a thought: do the plate in aluminum roof flashing and polish it if you are using and intake that will have it showing.

P.S.

If you like this one, wait until you see my "trunk" mod.

I will need a donor bike for the how-to on that. I found the how-to so much easier when it was the second time around on the build and I already knew where I was going rather then figuring it out as I went.

WOW!
    Excellent explanation & write-up!
    I just purchased the adapter plates & bowls from Thunder Mfg. ( Tornados ) or I would do this one for sure. It looks a ton cleaner than using those big bulky metal plates over the stock/OEM sized bowls...
    This sort of stuff is what makes this web-site sooooo great!

So, I was thinking about this.

The box is only about 3" thick, so it would not be a big deal to just run a drill bit through one of the mounting holes on the plate, straight out the back side, so you could use a long bolt. As long as you sealed up the back side, it couldn't hurt anything.

Default Know thats Custom !!!!!!!!!!

Man you did one hell of a job putting that toghter, some of you guys are funking creative with the mods... IM like Blade " You make the weapons and Ill use em"

That works as well.

I was more thinking of one or some of the bolts that actually mount the intake running all the way through.

It would be completely internal, so you would never see it, and it would add a good deal of rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Rounder View Post
    That works as well.

I was more thinking of one or some of the bolts that actually mount the intake running all the way through.
    Yes, exactly... but in my case those outer holes you see on the black plate actually hold my housings, not the centers like yours. My scoops cover the entire plate so all that uglyness i have on the plate is covered with the filter assemblies....My scoops are wierd, which is why i like them.....just like me

Excellent job SR, and excellent writeup. The detail and pictures are great!

I did something similar last fall but couldn't use it. I had some large round chrome filters that I wanted to mount, and the outlet was in the center of them. After I had fabbed up the mount I found the filters sit too high and hit the tank. I got an extra pair of the stock boxes from a member on here and modified them to drop the filters down lower, and it worked. So make sure if you do this to put the filters up against the box and see where the inlet to the box needs to be if you use something larger.

Mine actually placed the inlet about 2" lower than where the stock filter sits in the box, for point of reference.

Very Active Member

So, I was thinking about this.

The box is only about 3" thick, so it would not be a big deal to just run a drill bit through one of the mounting holes on the plate, straight out the back side, so you could use a long bolt. As long as you sealed up the back side, it couldn't hurt anything.

I'm sure it would be fine with an O-ring and flat washer probably use an aircraft nut on the other end with a washer and and o-ring as well.I'd stress to anyone doing this to snug it up but don't gorilla torque it so it would not put undo stress on the resin. It's just a backup

Just an FYI I have 3 DeWalt tool boxes. Should I put them in the for sale section?

I'm sure it would be fine with an O-ring and flat washer probably use an aircraft nut on the other end with a washer and and o-ring as well.I'd stress to anyone doing this to snug it up but don't gorilla torque it so it would not put undo stress on the resin. It's just a backup

Just an FYI I have 3 DeWalt tool boxes. Should I put them in the for sale section?

I talked with JMAKAMN and he does not want the carbon fiber wrapped as he plans to paint them, so I am recommending that he run at least one long bolt through when mounting.

I also have several DeWalt boxes around. We may start to see posts in the for sale section: 'WTB DeWalt box'

On that note though. I should emphasize that it is the heavy black plastic. Not all DeWalt boxes are made that way. Some are a couple of layers of thinner plastic formed around the tool inside. I am sure many would do the trick, but the circular saw and reciprocating saw boxes I can vouch for.

Nicely Done!

Default Modding the Mod

Here is the way I did mine.

I plan on sealing the plexi glass to the air filter mount. I countersunk the 3 mounting screws in the plexi. I will also paint the whole assembly. When I get them painted and mounted I will post more pics. I also plan on bolting my air cleaners through the housings. They are heavy and I want them to be secure. Let me know if you have questions. THANKS to Square Rounder for the how to.

Alien,

That gives me a thought.

I may have to mod mine a little.

After you paint them, if you tape off or go back and sand the paint off of the edge of the plexiglass, you could mount a light inside the box and it would glow out through the edges.

Alien,

That gives me a thought.

After you paint them, if you tape off or go back and sand the paint off of the edge of the plexiglass, you could mount a light inside the box and it would glow out through the edges.
    Genius. Excellent ideas all around, which gets me thinking

Alien,

That gives me a thought.

Good idea or get some LED"s on a strip and stick them around the outside. That way they will be brighter.