Replaceing the clutch cable step by step - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replaceing the clutch cable step by step

Quote Originally Posted by mann75 View Post
    what is the part # for the barnett cable guys? and where are you guys buying the cable at?
    Barnett no longer makes one fir the 9. Get one from www.motionpro.com

sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

what is the part # for the barnett cable guys? and where are you guys buying the cable at?
    Thanks big... Do you know why they stop making it?

Rooted EVO LTE baby

Rooted EVO LTE baby
    I think they were having issues w/ them.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Rooted EVO LTE baby
    The Barnett was using crimped ends, not leaded (soldered). The slight flexing at the lever end would cause the individual wires to break as the crimp induced a stress riser on the cable. They have gone to a different end (like a Harley) but it requires that you use their lever.
    Last edited by TRod; 09-07-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Funny. On my way to work yesterday, and my clutch started feeling odd. Stopped and checked, needed two turns of the adjuster to get it right again. Alarm bells went off in my head, and I turned around and went home, parked it and took my old beater Ranger to work. Just came in from checking it. Looked at both the top and bottom where the cable enters the barrel. Nothing. All looks well. Lubed both barrels, shot some lube down the cable, hooked it all up and went for short ride. It's back to normal again.

Still got a spare and some string under the seat.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

After doing the above, went for a ride. About two miles from home, SNAP! LOL

Got it down to first gear and rode through a neighborhood, zig-zagging from street-to-street. Pulled into my apartment and managed to shift it into neutral without the clutch. What a PITA that was. Kept going either to first or second, would not catch neutral. Finally did and I coasted downhill into my garage.

Put the new one on tomorrow and order another spare for under the seat.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

See what happens when you brag too much?

Good thing you have a spare. Mine didn't break, but had only two strands holding it together. Probably one more shift and I would have been in your shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post

Good thing you have a spare. Mine didn't break, but had only two strands holding it together. Probably one more shift and I would have been in your shoes!
    Well, at least next time I will know for sure. When you have to make a rather sudden large adjustment all in one fell swoop, cable is on the way out. I kind of suspected it, but visually there was no indication.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Samething happened to me..but now i am replacing the cable with a hydraulic clutch. One time cable break is one to many for me.

Rooted EVO LTE baby

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Well, at least next time I will know for sure. When you have to make a rather sudden large adjustment all in one fell swoop, cable is on the way out. I kind of suspected it, but visually there was no indication.
    At least I could see mine breaking, hard to imagine a cable breaking inside the housing. Makes me think it was defective when it was assembled.

At least I could see mine breaking, hard to imagine a cable breaking inside the housing. Makes me think it was defective when it was assembled.
    I have not checked yet to see exactly where it broke. Was on the way to work, had to ride it home, park it and grab my truck. Was almost late for work. I'll check it out here in an hour or so.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

So much for the easy way. Cannot get that curved lower fitting through from the top. Tied the new one to the old one with a piece of wire. It broke before I could even get the curved part through the hole in the shroud. It seems to me the cable has to be fed in from the bottom due to that curved piece. Anyhow the old cable is now completely out, and I need to figure out how to get the new one in.

Nothing is ever easy for me I guess.

Got it! Fished it through from the bottom up without taking the bike apart. But what a pain the bottom is. Getting the end of the cable into the clutch arm is a PITA.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 09-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Getting the end of the cable into the clutch arm is a PITA.

Yep, standing on your head on a gravel road in the rain makes that quite the challenge.

Glad I didn't have to do it that way.

My cable broke at the lower barrel. No cable sticking out of the barrel at all. I thought at first the barrel fell out. But it was still inside the arm.
    The new cable appears to have a nylon coating on it, it feels smoother than the original one. Noticeably smoother.

Just got off the phone with a friend who has an 06 M109R that still has the original cable. Told him to buy a new cable and come over here so I can change it for him. Also told him to buy a spare to keep under the seat, just-in-case. I'm going to buy another spare next week. The new cable appears much better, but I am still not going to take any chances. Been riding since 1976, never had a cable break on me before, on bikes with a lot more miles on them.

Just came in from examining the barrel. The cable did not break, it pulled out of the barrel. No cable in the barrel at all.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-13-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

very helpful write up
    One who leads with no followers is merely taking a walk

Default Where is the cable breaking

Mine hasn't broke but I purchased the bike used, I don't know if the cable has ever been replaced, is it mostly at the bottom end where you guys are finding the break ?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBman View Post
    Mine hasn't broke but I purchased the bike used, I don't know if the cable has ever been replaced, is it mostly at the bottom end where you guys are finding the break ?
    My stock cable, as you'll see from the posts above, pulled out of the barrel at the lower end. I keep a spare under the seat just in case.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Well it happened. Yesterday Clutch cable broke and I had to push it uphill 1/4 mile and coast for 3/4 miles. Clear beautiful day and still got a lot of compliments. Today I called around and looks like I have to order it. Looks like I will need this thread soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OGPAULG View Post
    Well it happened. Yesterday Clutch cable broke and I had to push it uphill 1/4 mile and coast for 3/4 miles. Clear beautiful day and still got a lot of compliments. Today I called around and looks like I have to order it. Looks like I will need this thread soon.
    You might want to buy 2 so you have a spare. Kewp one under the rear cowl.

... you may want to consider also a hydraulic clutch
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Thanks for the info. I will order two cables.Researching hydraulic clutch for near future

Great thread. Will definitely keep this one in mind. I picked up an extra cable before my trip last month. I have it wrapped in plastic and have no idea how you guys fit it under your seat. Maybe you guys have it wrapped differently or something.
    07 Pearl M109R: Cobra Swepts, Chrome Derby Cover, PC III USB, Chrome Swing Arm, Debeavered, Poor Mans Chrome Rad , Debadged, Tach Relocation, White Front Reflectors, Smoked Signal and Brake Lights, Front Signals into LED Driving lights, Holley Intakes, Tricky Air Ride, HID Headlight, TRE, 250 Fat Rear Tire, '11 Black Rims, Painted Rotors, Switchblade pegs, Arlen Ness Grips, ISO rear grips, OEM Crash Bars, Chrome kickstand, and more to come....

Finally replaced the hydraulic clutch. Fairly easy with the rerouting of the cable. Only (huge) challenge was putting the cable in by the engine. In had to disconnect and then put the barrel in first. Works great now but of course I forgot to put the dust cover back on. Thanks to this thread the stealer only got $60 for the cable and that's it

Thanks soooooo much for the write up Gooroo,you have made the job a lot easier for those of us that maybe mechanically illiterate.....okay am mechanically illiterate lol

Sent from the bowels of awesomness

Enter the beast for it has taken thee to its den and shared its power !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobtheMedic View Post
    Great thread. Will definitely keep this one in mind. I picked up an extra cable before my trip last month. I have it wrapped in plastic and have no idea how you guys fit it under your seat. Maybe you guys have it wrapped differently or something.
    My cable under the seat in the bag it came in, unopened. You have to keep it toward the front and position it just so, or the seat will not fit. Once you have it down, it's not a problem later. This is the second cable I've stashed here in the factory bag. Piece of string about five foot long under it. Tie string to top of old cable, Pull through from the bottom. Tie string to top of new cable, pull through from the top. Voila, new cable without dis-assembling anything.

Last edited by cbxer55; 08-19-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Many thanks to Dickchiff and gooroo for this. +1 feedback to both of you.

Bill in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    2012 M109R Limited Edition (VZR1800ZL2), Rifle windshield & lowers, Viking leather-covered hard bags, Rostra electonic cruise control, +3" risers, +3" throttle & clutch cables, +3" front brake lines, LED driving lights, WOLO air horn, and a Woolich Racing ECU tuning package & wideband --- I think the bike is finally perfect!

Thanks for the post, I'll be changing mine tonight. Looks fairly easy, Miss riding, it's been awhile.

Very Active Member

Default Clutch cable change

Awesome post ,changed cable today,immense help,only difference was 12mmm instead of 13mm open end,this was on an 08.Son helped I'm sure it's one man job but xtra hands helped.Thanks RR

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBotha54 View Post
    Thanks for the post, I'll be changing mine tonight. Looks fairly easy, Miss riding, it's been awhile.
    Is there a video on how to do this

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    Awesome post ,changed cable today,immense help,only difference was 12mmm instead of 13mm open end,this was on an 08.Son helped I'm sure it's one man job but xtra hands helped.Thanks RR
    Is there a video on how to do this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk