Replaceing the clutch cable step by step - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replaceing the clutch cable step by step

Very Active Member

Live your own life....... everyone else has one!

'07 Red with a "Natural Mystic Blowing Through The Air........."

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Mine just broke at only 8300 miles - going out to fix it now. Thanks for the excellent DIY!

Default Good info

Good stuff,,,,, i will be getting another clutch cable to install soon, and use my old one as a spare. Had a 109 rider this weekend clutch cable broke on him. Don't want that problem. that will be this weekend project to replace my clutch cable and be sure to lub it up. i got over 12k miles on it, i'm sure it will be breaking in the near future. So why wait......

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I thought I had time to spare at 8k and I was wrong. So yes, you'll feel better knowing your ticking time bomb is gone!

Haha, nice photoshop skills brother.

Great tutorial too.

Default Excellent DIY

Now the throttle ones are next!

Another excellent how to. I did this one along with the throttle cables yesterday. Only thing I did differently-when pulling the new cable up at the motor mount I cut the string and rerouted around the mount. Retied the string on and continued pulling it up

Default exact spot of that motor mount

Quote Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
    Another excellent how to. I did this one along with the throttle cables yesterday. Only thing I did differently-when pulling the new cable up at the motor mount I cut the string and rerouted around the mount. Retied the string on and continued pulling it up
    I don't know if you ( or anyone else ) can find a picture of that motor mount we have to run around ,
    I have the new clutch cable ,I have had it for a while ,and I have read many times about "rerouting" the cable but I can't figure out exactly the spot that we are supposed to run around so i keep waiting to install the newer cable .

Kazimodo, it's easy to see. Look at your stock cable where it disappears under the engine. It goes over a frame cross member then under the motor mount, which places some pressure on it. You just want to get it out from under the engine. It lays right between those two bolts and the engine mount is a little lower and closer to the engine.

Here's where the stock cable lays and where you want the new one to go. Basically it's just out from under the engine. I also pulled my cable down from above instead of pulling it up.

WOW , thanks Zoom , this is really clear
    i was looking at original route and it didn't look too bad ,
    now I know where I want it to go

Thanks for the step by step help--great. Mine snapped at 13K right at the bottom end. Didn't have any fray, just a clean break

Default Excellent How-to

Just used your very thorough instructions to change my cable. It was frayed and the bike is for sale, so I went ahead and replaced it. Thanks for making that a whole lot easier.

Just installed my pro-motion cable, thanks for the excellent write up. Let me echo what we always say, this site is great!

Very Active Member purvistechie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTM109R View Post
    Just installed my pro-motion cable, thanks for the excellent write up. Let me echo what we always say, this site is great!
    I just did the same last night, installed Motion Pro +3. Do you notice that your motion pro has a bit more pull to the clutch? Seems like the tension increased quite a bit from stock. Did you notice this? Does it just need to break in?

OLD - RED 07 loaded, NEW - 2015 StreetGlide Special Black Denim Dropped Bags, CVO Rear Fender, Passenger Boards, Chop Tour Pack, Driver Back Rest, Stage 3 BOOM! Audio, Full Sac Headers, Tuner, Exhaust.

Question

Excellent how to.

Just a question.
    I've bought a new cable from a Suzuki dealer, I thought just to get only the cable (for info, I didn't see this "how to" yet when I ordered it).

I think I've got the entire cable assembly.
    Is it stictly necessary to get the entire assembly, or is it enough to get only the cable to replace it? I do not understand completely this from the pics here.
    This is what I got, in the attachment.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch Cable Assembly_1.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	77950  
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    Excellent how to.

Just a question.
    I've bought a new cable from a Suzuki dealer, I thought just to get only the cable (for info, I didn't see this "how to" yet when I ordered it).

Is it stictly necessary to get the entire assembly, or is it enough to get only the cable to replace it? I do not understand completely this from the pics here.

Thanks.
    That's how it comes. You replace the whole thing.

Thank you .
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Default How To

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    Excellent how to.

Just a question.

Thanks.
    Hey man...sorry I didn't get back to you for a LONG TIME...just havn't been on the site lately. I am sure you got your answer by now, but I just wanted to appologize.

If you got no answer shoot me back a PM and I help out.

They say it's not the size that counts - They are obviously HD owners?

Question...after routing around the motor mount and the "two bolts"...did you route the cable inside or outside of the bracket shown here?

09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

Ive seen a guys a cable put on the inside of that bracket and it was summer and he was wondering how on a long stop and go ride his fan never came on and nothing showed up out of the warning lights. So he turned it on and let it idle on a hot day and then when it came on it didnt spin because the cable was touching it! So he moved the cable out of the way and what do you know it was ON. So watch out for that. I dint think urs should block the fan because it looks straight but his cable was curving around and thats what caused it to lean in the fan.

Sent from my FULLYSICK iPhone using Tapatalk
    140 Metz, 260 Metz, Cobra Longshots, Cobra Fi2000, K&N filters, Blocked Pair valves, HID + LED kit, 2" lowered, Derby cover, mirrors etc.. Hopefully alot more to come

Quote Originally Posted by gooroo View Post
    Hey man...sorry I didn't get back to you for a LONG TIME...just havn't been on the site lately. I am sure you got your answer by now, but I just wanted to appologize.

If you got no answer shoot me back a PM and I help out.
    It's fine .
    I got my answer.

Excellent pics and info pal,well done

Very Active Member hitchiker1959's Avatar

I am totally useless when it comes to anything to do with cars or Motorbikes believe me !!! but through this site and certain individuals i have grown in confidence to do more and with the help of my son who as just started a motor mechanic apprenticeship we have changed the risers, the front brake line, the clutch cable and tacho housing and the only thing to do at present is the throttle cables which i acquired from Barnetts they have a card connected to them stating DO NOT LUBRICATE WITH A AEROSOL LUBE could anyone tell me why this is so !!!!
    YOU CAN TAKE MY LIFE BUT NOT MY FREEDOM

CUSTOM GRIPS,STEBEL,FOOTRESTS,K&Ns,CUSTOM SEATS,TRE,GREGS SWINGARM COVER,MODS IN PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by hitchiker1959 View Post
    I am totally useless when it comes to anything to do with cars or Motorbikes believe me !!! but through this site and certain individuals i have grown in confidence to do more and with the help of my son who as just started a motor mechanic apprenticeship we have changed the risers, the front brake line, the clutch cable and tacho housing and the only thing to do at present is the throttle cables which i acquired from Barnetts they have a card connected to them stating DO NOT LUBRICATE WITH A AEROSOL LUBE could anyone tell me why this is so !!!!
    The lube can seap out of the cable and stain the braided cover, so they don't want you to lube them with anything oily. I never lube my Barnett cables, they have a teflon sleeve inside the cable housing and the cable itself is telon covered. Really doesn't need any lube.

subscribed. Doing this tonight.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

This was a great and easier to do because I have bike tore down. I do want to know how much play should there be in the pull cable or should it be tight, I still have a little play. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo H View Post
    This was a great and easier to do because I have bike tore down. I do want to know how much play should there be in the pull cable or should it be tight, I still have a little play. Thanks.
    Atleast 2 quarters worth. Just stack 2 $.25's in the gap at the lever and adjust the gap until they barely fall out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry just realized I posted in wrong board

Default wow

what a great way of showing the total clutch cable replace ,much appreciated .

what is the part # for the barnett cable guys? and where are you guys buying the cable at?