2nd gear problems / failure
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd gear problems / failure

Default 2nd gear problems / failure

Hello my name is Keith Rutledge and i'm an owner of a 2007 M109. I along with so many other owners of the famous M109 have experienced 2nd gear problems / failures. Now the Suzuki company is trying to put a spin on this situation calling it an isolated incident, which is the farthest from the truth, so I'm getting together all of us M109 owners with the 2nd gear problem to contact me at 313-492-9743 in an effort to have Suzuki do the right thing and call this what it is, which is a '' RECALL '' that should of been called a long time ago. I have here in Michigan Cooperation from the news media to put it out in the open about Suzuki not taking care of what is a '' Safety Issue '' dealing with the failure of the 2nd gear. This cost of repair would cost each one of us customer and est. Price between $1000 to $1600 to fix. I feel and believe that Suzuki should be responsible for the cost of repairing our 2nd gear problem, please join me and other M109 riders in effort to insist that Suzuki do the right thing and fix this problem they started. STRENGHTH ARE IN NUMBERS...
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxko109; 11-10-2009 at 04:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Good luck 109ers!

so far so good on the 90's but if it happens hopefully we'll get taken care of too.
    CAPZ LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

I sympathize with you my friend but I would not say "I along with so many other owners" As a majority of 9 owners don't have second gear problems...

I feel that Suzuki should address the issue for sure but I still think a small percentage are having the serious problems. I just wanted to say that so that anyone reading this doesn't assume that ALL 109's are problematic. What year is your bike?

Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The only problem i have, if its even a problem, is the clunking sound. Which i didn't think much of it since my 1999 Roadstar and 2006 HD Electra Glide did the same thing. Hopefully that doesn't change.
    [DON'T LET A BIG ASS SCARE YA !!!!!]

"As government expands, liberty contracts." - RONALD REAGON

Question

I don't know if you're deliberately spamming the boards. You have another identical topic posted on here in the past few hours.
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Pissed off B*stard of Baltimore
    ATGATT 4 LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    I sympathize with you my friend but I would not say "I along with so many other owners" As a majority of 9 owners don't have second gear problems...

I feel that Suzuki should address the issue for sure but I still think a small percentage are having the serious problems. I just wanted to say that so that anyone reading this doesn't assume that ALL 109's are problematic. What year is your bike?
    ....it is a little percentage of 9's that have had this prob

BigPapa's link with about 11 pages should put all in perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    ....it is a little percentage of 9's that have had this prob

BigPapa's link with about 11 pages should put all in perspective

Should I reply the same thing to the duplicated thread?
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Default 2nd gear issue

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post

Hello, im not saying that all of the m109's are problematic. i'm just saying that this is not an isolated issue at all, i have friends all across the country with the same problem with their m109, that does not dog their bike at all. I purchased my m109 brand new in feb 07, and that Suzuki should be a responsible company to where if there is an issue they need to stand behind there product...

Quote Originally Posted by ko109 View Post
    Hello, im not saying that all of the m109's are problematic. i'm just saying that this is not an isolated issue at all, i have friends all across the country with the same problem with their m109, that does not dog their bike at all. I purchased my m109 brand new in feb 07, and that Suzuki should be a responsible company to where if there is an issue they need to stand behind there product...
    Understandable and I completely agree with you... I cannot confirm 100% but I believe that 08-09 models have different parts numbers associated with the shift forks and other parts so it would be at least nice if some kind of replacement/return program could be worked out... These problems seem to be most common with 06-07 owners unfortunately
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

The problems associated with the M109 drive line are real. The actual truth is their are not enough bikes with drive line failures for Suzuki to even consider a recall. You're better off taking them on yourself then trying to put together a class action group. The facts are that once Suzuki is aware that you have hired a lawyer they will in fact not deal with you anymore. They will let their lawyers handle it. This process can take years and you will be stuck with a garage coat hanger while you wait. As for years affected, the drive line is pretty much unchanged for all years of this bike. There are several new part numbers associated with the drive line but there are still people who have 08's that have had issues. Think about the ramifications to Suzuki if they were to make a wholesale change to the drive line, it would be an admission by Suzuki that there are problems. So, were there tweaks to the bike in various parts, sure but major upgrades, I don't think so. Good luck to all those who are having problems. Take Suzuki to task but fight a fight that you can win and not be waiting around forever to ride your bike. I personally would rather dump the bike and move on then wait around for a court case that if it is ever heard will be years away.

No Prob. yet, but it is man made

Default Same here twice

I had a 06 and at 10k mile it would just out of second into neutral. I traded it in on a 07 and at 14K it jumps in and out of gear in second under a load. And the more miles I put on it the load ranges is dropping. Suzuki had the same problem with the Busa's and never did anything to it until last year and they now have a 6 speed. Our year will come, but today and Suzuki will never do a recall on it. Just face it. We have a bad a$$ bike and we all know where the weak link is.

So either:
    1. Have the stealer fix it for around $2,200 average. With stock parts and it will do it again.

2. Get a lawyer, pay him around $2000 , with the same results as #1

3. Do it yourself or have someone that will put drag racing parts that hold up to the pull and torque that our motor puts out.

4. Trade it in and start all over....

Sad isn't it..

Default 2nd gear problems

Hey

This is Calvin. I talked to you earlier about the 2nd gear problem, but I lost the email address so can you send it to me again. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks.

Very Active Member IndyBlack109's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Streak View Post
    I had a 06 and at 10k mile it would just out of second into neutral. I traded it in on a 07 and at 14K it jumps in and out of gear in second under a load. And the more miles I put on it the load ranges is dropping. Suzuki had the same problem with the Busa's and never did anything to it until last year and they now have a 6 speed. Our year will come, but today and Suzuki will never do a recall on it. Just face it. We have a bad a$$ bike and we all know where the weak link is.

So either:
    1. Have the stealer fix it for around $2,200 average. With stock parts and it will do it again.

2. Get a lawyer, pay him around $2000 , with the same results as #1

3. Do it yourself or have someone that will put drag racing parts that hold up to the pull and torque that our motor puts out.

4. Trade it in and start all over....

Sad isn't it..
    Damn good recommendations! Your recommendations #3 and #4 are the best bets. If one can't make recommendation #3 happen, then recommendation #4 is the best option.

See ya....

Ride-um Safe !

So after that news report, is anything else going to happen? Is she doing a multipart series?

Wondering also. I try to read all 2nd gear issues because I'm having trouble too. Hard to hit 2nd and grinds sometimes...

Well I can tell you first hand it's not just the older bikes. I brought a brand new 2009 with 0 miles on it and with less then 3k miles the trany went bad. Was a long fight with Suzuki but they finally agreed to fix it. They replaced the 2 & 3 gears alone with the shift forks. Took 3 months to get the bike back so for you guys they haven't had this problem that's great news but some us are not that lucky.
    NY Phat Boyz - Vice President

Default Only a matter of time

My friend Keith Ruthledge has been diligently working to help those with this second gear problem get it resolved. Cheers bother! I must admit that I did not pay any attention to this issue because it did not affect me. I've been riding fine since 2007. However, yesterday my second gear started slipping. I have over 20,000 miles on my bike and I ride like an old lady. (a cool old lady) So, for those who are not having 2nd gear problems I believe that it is only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by lostrider View Post
    I personally would rather dump the bike and move on then wait around for a court case that if it is ever heard will be years away.
    Only problem with the "dump the bike", is someone else gets stuck with the problem, probably unknowingly since the seller is highly unlikely to tell the new owner the problem exists. And I consider that to be HIGHLY UNETHICAL, and IMMORAL.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

kawzx7

Quote Originally Posted by deezilone View Post
    Well I can tell you first hand it's not just the older bikes. I brought a brand new 2009 with 0 miles on it and with less then 3k miles the trany went bad. Was a long fight with Suzuki but they finally agreed to fix it. They replaced the 2 & 3 gears alone with the shift forks. Took 3 months to get the bike back so for you guys they haven't had this problem that's great news but some us are not that lucky.

Glad to hear it. Can you give us some details of what it took to get them to pony up??

I knew the owner of the dealership where I brought my bike and he argeed and sided with me. He checked to see if there were pieces of rubber under the rear seat (from brun outs). He even rode the bike and said " Well you can still ride if you want just shift to 3rd faster or get ready for a fight" I desided to fight....I called the dealer at least every other day to show them I really wanted my bike fixed and wasn't willing to pay 2,500 to 3k out of my pocket. I even brought down several print outs of complains form other members here on the forum to show them "it's not just me".. I did research and told them I have enough information to support my findings. The owner pushed the issue and finally called with the magic words "Suzuki will cover the cost" and 3 months later I was riding my bike off the dealers lot!

Just know what your talking about , show as much proof as you can and never give up!!
    NY Phat Boyz - Vice President

Just know what your talking about , show as much proof as you can and never give up!!

Lame. The first one I test drove grinded hard into 2nd. Like a semi. I thought it was beat on so I didn't buy it, but I know thats a common problem. Mine isn't too bad. Yet. Doesn't slip, but can be finniky at a stand still moving 1st to N to second, or any direction. Will grind if you pause or pu&&y foot it into second.

Just did the shift mod, synthetic oil, shift fast, and cross my fingers. The day it jumps outta gear under acceleration is the day I'm on the phone with Tokyo.

Suzuki is known for great bikes, decent engines, and crappy trannies. Read any article. I'm on my 6th SZ and none of them have shifted like butter. Or a Honda (I hear).

Good luck, bro.
    '06 M109R
    '08 Ninja 650R
    '01 GSXR 1000
    '01 DRZ 400

I knew the owner of the dealership where I brought my bike and he argeed and sided with me. He checked to see if there were pieces of rubber under the rear seat (from brun outs). He even rode the bike and said " Well you can still ride if you want just shift to 3rd faster or get ready for a fight" I desided to fight....I called the dealer at least every other day to show them I really wanted my bike fixed and wasn't willing to pay 2,500 to 3k out of my pocket. I even brought down several print outs of complains form other members here on the forum to show them "it's not just me".. I did research and told them I have enough information to support my findings. The owner pushed the issue and finally called with the magic words "Suzuki will cover the cost" and 3 months later I was riding my bike off the dealers lot!

I went thru the same crap with a snowmobile I had bought new (cost more than my C109RT by the way!). The stealer service guy was totally incompetent - he told me the only reason there were complaints on the Arctic Cat snowmobile forum was that other competitors signed in as an individuals and just made up rumors to make AC look bad! I brought my machine in four times and each time the moron said it was OK. Finally, I blew up with him (I really am a calm guy) handed him the numbers of the AC tech rep that I had got in the forum, went to the owner and complained and then got on the phone with AC. After a number of phone calls with different AC people they told me they were aware of the problem and had decided to do a recall! I finally got it fixed by AC and it runs perfectly. AC was great to work with.

Don't waste your time with your stealer after you have tried a few times with them. Go direct to Suzuki USA. Start filing complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, US Attorney's Office, US Consumer Protection Office, State Attorney, State Consumer protection, etc if Suzuki doesn’t do something. You have to be relentless but eventually it will work. DOCUMENT EVERTHING!!

Default Looking for Keith Rutledge from Michigan

Just lost second gear in my 2007 M109R. I live in rural area of Michigan and don't trust the local dealer. He had never heard of this before. I need to find a reliable Dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxko109 View Post
    Hello my name is Keith Rutledge and i'm an owner of a 2007 M109. I along with so many other owners of the famous M109 have experienced 2nd gear problems / failures. Now the Suzuki company is trying to put a spin on this situation calling it an isolated incident, which is the farthest from the truth, so I'm getting together all of us M109 owners with the 2nd gear problem to contact me at 313-492-9743 in an effort to have Suzuki do the right thing and call this what it is, which is a '' RECALL '' that should of been called a long time ago. I have here in Michigan Cooperation from the news media to put it out in the open about Suzuki not taking care of what is a '' Safety Issue '' dealing with the failure of the 2nd gear. This cost of repair would cost each one of us customer and est. Price between $1000 to $1600 to fix. I feel and believe that Suzuki should be responsible for the cost of repairing our 2nd gear problem, please join me and other M109 riders in effort to insist that Suzuki do the right thing and fix this problem they started. STRENGHTH ARE IN NUMBERS...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    Just lost second gear in my 2007 M109R. I live in rural area of Michigan and don't trust the local dealer. He had never heard of this before. I need to find a reliable Dealership.
    I can't help you with finding Keith but i can tell you about Rosenau power sports (313-278-5000) in Dearborn Mi On ford rd just off telegraph. This dealership is the place that fixed my 2nd gear transmission failure. They do a lot of work with the m109 and have been pretty dependable from my experience with them although they seem to be on the expensive side.

Very Active Member

Default trans,2nd gear

anybody have that problem on a 2012? mine jumped out of 2nd once but never had problem agian ,,is that it?

Thanks, I am going to give them a call. Id rather pay more to get experience in this. If you don't mind, how many miles did you get before yours failed and are you getting anything more reliability since they repaired it. Also, I heard that there are "high performance" parts outside of OEM parts that hold up better. Have you heard anything about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    I can't help you with finding Keith but i can tell you about Rosenau power sports (313-278-5000) in Dearborn Mi On ford rd just off telegraph. This dealership is the place that fixed my 2nd gear transmission failure. They do a lot of work with the m109 and have been pretty dependable from my experience with them although they seem to be on the expensive side.

I don't remember the exact milage my bikes transmission started to fail but i do believe it was around the 4-5000 mark. I put another 15,000+ miles on the rebuild veggie my health issues forced me to put it away the last few years. The before and after difference is like night and day in 2 different universes! The before was a constant fight to shift from 1st to 2nd and back. After the repair its was like WOW! It now takes no effort to shift into any gear. A simple click and into the next great. I can't explain how different it actually is now for the better but it's like it's not the same bike. There are some high performance parts and modification that can be done now but these were not available to me when i had mine rebuilt. I would suggest you contact "FutuR" who is the resident mechanic on this site. He's out of Indiana but he knows all the tricks on making this transmission bullet proof. At the very least he could point you in the direction you need to buy the HP parts. At best you may be able to work it out to get your bike to him and let him do his magic. He is cheaper while using the better parts and he knows what he's is doing.

QUOTE=Latinrascal;2861906]I don't remember the exact milage my bikes transmission started to fail but i do believe it was around the 4-5000 mark. I put another 15,000+ miles on the rebuild veggie my health issues forced me to put it away the last few years. The before and after difference is like night and day in 2 different universes! The before was a constant fight to shift from 1st to 2nd and back. After the repair its was like WOW! It now takes no effort to shift into any gear. A simple click and into the next great. I can't explain how different it actually is now for the better but it's like it's not the same bike. There are some high performance parts and modification that can be done now but these were not available to me when i had mine rebuilt. I would suggest you contact "FutuR" who is the resident mechanic on this site. He's out of Indiana but he knows all the tricks on making this transmission bullet proof. At the very least he could point you in the direction you need to buy the HP parts. At best you may be able to work it out to get your bike to him and let him do his magic. He is cheaper while using the better parts and he knows what he's is doing.[/QUOTE]