2nd gear problems / failure - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2nd gear problems / failure

Default 2nd gear worries UK bike

Quote Originally Posted by dre109 View Post
    My friend Keith Ruthledge has been diligently working to help those with this second gear problem get it resolved. Cheers bother! I must admit that I did not pay any attention to this issue because it did not affect me. I've been riding fine since 2007. However, yesterday my second gear started slipping. I have over 20,000 miles on my bike and I ride like an old lady. (a cool old lady) So, for those who are not having 2nd gear problems I believe that it is only a matter of time.
    Hi guys, im looking at an 06 bike with 6k miles on it. What sort of percentage or numbers of bikes have had the 2nd gear problem? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Hi guys, im looking at an 06 bike with 6k miles on it. What sort of percentage or numbers of bikes have had the 2nd gear problem? Thanks.
    Welcome to the Forum Fuzzy. I hope things work out, and you’ll become an M109R owner. As for percentages, I doubt anyone here can provide that information factually. However, the number of M109Rs that have had the 2nd gear problem has been relatively-very-low, compared to the number sold. Indeed, the problem has reared its ugly head on some owners, unfortunately. Nevertheless, you should take the opportunity to test ride the bike you’re looking at. While test riding it in 2nd gear, you should quickly crack down on the throttle, and pay attention to determine if the bike drops back to neutral with your help. Do that several times during your test ride to confirm whether it has that problem or not. Also, take the time to do a thorough check of everything on the bike, to include the tires. Don’t just check the thread depth. Check the sidewalls for cracks as well. An 06’ model bike with only 6k original miles on it, clearly indicates that the bike has sat far more than it has been ridden. Make sure you talk about the servicing of the bike, and get all service records from the current owner. Ask as many questions as you can think of, so you don’t get duped on the deal. Make the owner give you a history lesson on that bike, before you commit to anything binding.

Quote Originally Posted by clinkster View Post
    anybody have that problem on a 2012? mine jumped out of 2nd once but never had problem agian ,,is that it?
    I'd say no. I have an 08 and when I first got it, I missed the shift to second a good bit. After I started shifting, as I say, with authority, I haven't had a problem since.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    If you don't want to get into a rebuild, stay away from the first gen. It's not an if but a when. If you drive like a Prius owner for the life of the bike you will not likely ever encounter the issue but as time will show... Your right wrist will develope a problem where it drops almost uncontrollably and the simple torque and deflection of hollow shift rods will lead to a rebuild. First symptoms will be brushed off as randomly your speedo tachs out up to and above 150mph when you know your doing the speed limit(metal shavings stuck to sensor ), and end up feeling like a vehicle with the recoil of a Gatlin gun hitting your bike in the rear every time you touch the throttle in 2nd gear.

But heck it could be one of the "good ones" i.e. Not the reason there are so manny upgrades/revisions to numerous parts of the drive line over the last 14 years of production.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

So how much do they charge to do the job on the m109r

I can't help you with finding Keith but i can tell you about Rosenau power sports (313-278-5000) in Dearborn Mi On ford rd just off telegraph. This dealership is the place that fixed my 2nd gear transmission failure. They do a lot of work with the m109 and have been pretty dependable from my experience with them although they seem to be on the expensive side.[/QUOTE]