2nd gear problems / failure - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 65

Thread: 2nd gear problems / failure

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I called the bike shop you recommended. I will probably go with them. Your right they are not cheap. By the way is there a tutorial on how to post to this site. Everytime I try, I seem to get my butt kicked Thanks for the info and help. Hope you get to feeling better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    QUOTE=Latinrascal;2861906]I don't remember the exact milage my bikes transmission started to fail but i do believe it was around the 4-5000 mark. I put another 15,000+ miles on the rebuild veggie my health issues forced me to put it away the last few years. The before and after difference is like night and day in 2 different universes! The before was a constant fight to shift from 1st to 2nd and back. After the repair its was like WOW! It now takes no effort to shift into any gear. A simple click and into the next great. I can't explain how different it actually is now for the better but it's like it's not the same bike. There are some high performance parts and modification that can be done now but these were not available to me when i had mine rebuilt. I would suggest you contact "FutuR" who is the resident mechanic on this site. He's out of Indiana but he knows all the tricks on making this transmission bullet proof. At the very least he could point you in the direction you need to buy the HP parts. At best you may be able to work it out to get your bike to him and let him do his magic. He is cheaper while using the better parts and he knows what he's is doing.
    [/QUOTE]

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    I called the bike shop you recommended. I will probably go with them. Your right they are not cheap. By the way is there a tutorial on how to post to this site. Everytime I try, I seem to get my butt kicked Thanks for the info and help. Hope you get to feeling better.
    [/QUOTE]
    I'm betting that they would work with you and send out for the better parts and back cut gears! That option wasn't a known fix for the transmission issues at the time i had mine repaired or i would have went with that. Only option was oem parts but even so there was a major improvement in the before and after repair that leads me to believe that my bike was a Friday at quitin time special from the factory i also have the pro shifter starr installed so with that and the fresh trans its a quick "click" and she's in gear! Up or down its 1/4 the effort compared to before! So i hope they take care of you.
    As for the site posting help anything i would say would be a lie about knowing anything about how to help you but im sure if you start a thread and ask there you would get your answers.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 11-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.

  4. #33
    Very Active Member futurR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    I am curious what they quoted you and what work they said would be done?
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    They told me that they had worked closely with Suzuki and now put in the gears that the 2011 and newer have. My cost would be "around" $2000. I understand you do this repair also? My email is [email protected]. I would be interested in talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    I am curious what they quoted you and what work they said would be done?

  7. #35
    Very Active Member Luvs2Play's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    5,243

    Default

    So they admit to having a problem, yet force the owner to pay the bill to fix it. Seems they are not looking to have people purchase a 2nd Suzuki badge as their next ride.

  8. #36
    Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    So they admit to having a problem, yet force the owner to pay the bill to fix it. Seems they are not looking to have people purchase a 2nd Suzuki badge as their next ride.
    Parts are often updated during the life of a design. Doesn't 'admit' that there was ever an issue with the original parts. Could simply be a different manufacturing process...

    Wouldn't read to much into what 1 dealership says.

  9. #37
    Very Active Member Luvs2Play's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    5,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    Parts are often updated during the life of a design. Doesn't 'admit' that there was ever an issue with the original parts. Could simply be a different manufacturing process...

    Wouldn't read to much into what 1 dealership says.
    Clutch shutter and the 2nd gear issue are some of the most common ailments of the 9. They are known problems and Suzuki does nothing about it. Both are a safety issue, but no recalls were ever put out to correct the issues. The 2nd gear issue costs 1/5th or more of the cost of a new bike to repair, you have to hope and pray that you aren't the next one to experience it. I was lucky that I didn't have the problem, but it was always in my thoughts that I may. At least mine was covered under warranty if it did happen.

    With that being said, the 9 was the most enjoyable bike I have had to date, and I am thinking of getting another one in the next couple years.

  10. #38
    Very Active Member Wildman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Burbs IL
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    They told me that they had worked closely with Suzuki and now put in the gears that the 2011 and newer have. My cost would be "around" $2000. I understand you do this repair also? My email is [email protected]. I would be interested in talking.

    FutuR's cell # is in his signature at the bottom

  11. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman7 View Post
    FutuR's cell # is in his signature at the bottom
    Well I talked with FutuR. Made a lot more sense than the service manager I talked with. I like this guy, talked straight with me. The service manager I talked with told me that he had repaired 60 or more of the 109s'. Seemed like a lot of bikes for the area at the time. Going to get the gears back cut. Probably put new rings and bearings in while its ripped down. While it is ripped down, anyone have anymore ideas what could or should be done?

  12. #40
    Very Active Member some 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    Well I talked with FutuR. Made a lot more sense than the service manager I talked with. I like this guy, talked straight with me. The service manager I talked with told me that he had repaired 60 or more of the 109s'. Seemed like a lot of bikes for the area at the time. Going to get the gears back cut. Probably put new rings and bearings in while its ripped down. While it is ripped down, anyone have anymore ideas what could or should be done?
    I would do every possible thing I could while it's out, port and polished heads, shift rods, cams, evo shift kit, clutch mod, order motor mounts from scorp along with your back cut gears and anything else Matt recommends.
    Last edited by some 9; 11-29-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

  13. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    Posts
    11

    Default Second gear problem

    I'm having the same problem with my 2006 m109r. My bike was lunging in 2nd gear, now it's jumping out of second gear. Second gear has always been suspect since I brought the bike new. I tried calling the number on this page, but was unable to connect.

  14. #42
    Very Active Member Wildman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Burbs IL
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgem109 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 2006 m109r. My bike was lunging in 2nd gear, now it's jumping out of second gear. Second gear has always been suspect since I brought the bike new. I tried calling the number on this page, but was unable to connect.
    Word is he got a settlement and left a ton of people hanging. May want to contact FutuR he will be able to give you some directions

  15. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    My 2007 lost second gear as well as third, I just got my bike back from Matt Guthrie yesturday, best it has ever run. His repair was less than what the Suzuki quoted, they were going to put the same crappy parts back in. TEXT matt at 231-946-1045. Calling doesnt always work. You should see the junk that Suzki put in that crashed in my bike. Nothing but high end parts are put in by Matt. I like him and I dont like anyone ; )

  16. #44
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Santa Claus, Indiana
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry1drew View Post
    My 2007 lost second gear as well as third, I just got my bike back from Matt Guthrie yesturday, best it has ever run. His repair was less than what the Suzuki quoted, they were going to put the same crappy parts back in. TEXT matt at 231-946-1045. Calling doesnt always work. You should see the junk that Suzki put in that crashed in my bike. Nothing but high end parts are put in by Matt. I like him and I dont like anyone ; )
    231 is Michigan. Is that where Matt is now?

  17. #45
    Very Active Member NJDEVIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    JERZEY
    Posts
    4,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawzx7 View Post
    231 is Michigan. Is that where Matt is now?
    No, he is still in INDY

  18. #46
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Santa Claus, Indiana
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
    No, he is still in INDY
    haha, then this dude has his numbers mixed up.

  19. #47
    Super Moderator HyperPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Adams County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,654

    Default

    Yeah, that's not the number I have for Matt.

    - My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

  20. #48
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Mi.
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    All of this is why I got rid of my 9. I started getting the shudder and it popped out of second a few times. I had it for 18 month, put 17k miles on it and when I went to Suzuki with the problem they told me to get used to it, it's normal. Winter came with lots of snow then spring finally came and so did my new Concours.


  21. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Yep, got the mumbers mixed up. Try 317-507-0904. Just got a text from Matt. Give him a try

  22. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4

    Default I am with ya!

    [QUOTE=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxko109;1178550]Hello my name is Keith Rutledge and i'm an owner of a 2007 M109. I along with so many other owners of the famous M109 have experienced 2nd gear problems / failures. Now the Suzuki company is trying to put a spin on this situation calling it an isolated incident, which is the farthest from the truth, so I'm getting together all of us M109 owners with the 2nd gear problem to contact me at 313-492-9743 in an effort to have Suzuki do the right thing and call this what it is, which is a '' RECALL '' that should of been called a long time ago. I have here in Michigan Cooperation from the news media to put it out in the open about Suzuki not taking care of what is a '' Safety Issue '' dealing with the failure of the 2nd gear. This cost of repair would cost each one of us customer and est. Price between $1000 to $1600 to fix. I feel and believe that Suzuki should be responsible for the cost of repairing our 2nd gear problem, please join me and other M109 riders in effort to insist that Suzuki do the right thing and fix this problem they started. STRENGHTH ARE IN NUMBERS...[/QUOTE Hey Ken I totally agree and there are a few other questions Suzuki needs to answer! I have a 07 nine as well. The motor mounts causes a lot of problems as well.

  23. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    Posts
    11

    Default 2nd gear problems

    My name is George Martin I've been having problems with my M109 for 3 years. The bike started out like it was jerking in 2nd gear. I took it to Suzuki and the mechanic told me it was a bent shift fork. He said the job would be expensive and he recommended me to ride and skip second gear and bring it back when it got worst. Last week it got worst, I was leaving work and decided to cut a block before I went home. As I was going around a curve the bikes back wheel locked up. I had to everything I knew to keep the bike under me. As I kept the bike up the car behind me almost ran up my ass. The transmission had locked up. I was in the middle of the road and I could not change gear, or roll the bike. I called a Harley mechanic I knew and he put my rear wheel on a dolly and rolled it on a trailer. Now I need a good shop to repair my bike in North Carolina. Any suggestions for a good suzuki mechanic. 09riders let me know.

  24. #52
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Mi.
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Wow George, I can't help you. I am glad you got through that unscathed. It still angers me that Zook made these nice ass bikes, sold them as muscle cruisers and put a $.50 shift fork in them. To top it off when they get bent they just shrug their shoulders and blame the rider. Hope you find someone that can help you.


  25. #53
    Very Active Member futurR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgem109 View Post
    My name is George Martin I've been having problems with my M109 for 3 years. The bike started out like it was jerking in 2nd gear. I took it to Suzuki and the mechanic told me it was a bent shift fork. He said the job would be expensive and he recommended me to ride and skip second gear and bring it back when it got worst. Last week it got worst, I was leaving work and decided to cut a block before I went home. As I was going around a curve the bikes back wheel locked up. I had to everything I knew to keep the bike under me. As I kept the bike up the car behind me almost ran up my ass. The transmission had locked up. I was in the middle of the road and I could not change gear, or roll the bike. I called a Harley mechanic I knew and he put my rear wheel on a dolly and rolled it on a trailer. Now I need a good shop to repair my bike in North Carolina. Any suggestions for a good suzuki mechanic. 09riders let me know.
    Probably not a trans issue. My bet, your original problem was clutch shutter, and now you have tube nut failure. Both are not that expensive to fix by comparison. I would stay away from that shop. Sounds like they either do not know what they are talking about or trying to make a lot of money.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

  26. #54
    Super Moderator HyperPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Adams County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,654

    Default

    FuturR is the man to go to for transmission problems. It will probably cost you less for a much better job if you get your bike to him. He's honest and trustworthy, and probably the best M109R tech you'll find. A tube nut, however, is something that you could do yourself.

    - My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

  27. #55
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    On the street
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chef109 View Post
    Wow George, I can't help you. I am glad you got through that unscathed. It still angers me that Zook made these nice ass bikes, sold them as muscle cruisers and put a $.50 shift fork in them. To top it off when they get bent they just shrug their shoulders and blame the rider. Hope you find someone that can help you.
    Please explain me that a person like SKIDMARK goes mental on his bike does a lot of dragracing plays to win and doesn't has any problems at all.

  28. #56
    Super Moderator HyperPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Adams County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,654

    Default

    "Luck of the draw"

    - My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

  29. #57
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Mi.
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Can't explain it. All i know is I started having the issue, tried to get Zook To fix it to no avail, got rid of my 9 and picked up a Kawi and rode it for 70k miles with no issues at all. It seems to me if it was rider error I would have had the issue with other bikes.
    Or as stated above, "luck of the draw."
    It's also well known that the Busa has a paper mâché shift fork as well.


  30. #58
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    On the street
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Thank you ^^ both you guys. :)

  31. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manistee, Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I just had my transmission repaired by FutuR. Works better than when it was new.

  32. #60
    Very Active Member Black Widow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dirty Jerzee
    Posts
    316

    Default Picking mine up

    He must of just finished yours before mine. Cause mine is the black one, I'm picking up this Thursday. Glad to hear all the good responses regarding futurR.
    Can't wait to see, ride, & hear my bike.Then of to Myrtle Beach the following week.
    Last edited by Black Widow; 05-04-2015 at 04:12 PM.

    MUSCLE on MUSCLE 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->