M109 Rider Forums banner

Proof I don't have a waterjet for doing covers

Tags
covers
6K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  sutphen771 
#1 ·
I had to post some pics of me doing these covers. My wife kept saying that she was going got take some pics while I was doing the covers for a little proof that I don't have a waterjet. Have had a lot of people ask me if I have a waterjet or what kind of machine I use. I only use the jigsaw and the dremel. Yes it is not the dremel brand. The power on the turns off to much when they get hot. So when I am down there for 12 hours sometimes on my days off doing covers I can't have one that turns off so it doesn't burn out. This was me yesterday cutting my Swept design for Adirondack Bill who has an 09' maroon. He went with maroon mesh and black edges. Didn't take a pic of the covers because it is the same design as one in my signature line.

And yes I have a bunch of Core Fee covers to go around. LOL

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice work!

I did mine as one of my first mods by hand also, so I doubly appreciate what fine work you do, and the time involved. People asked me way back when to do theirs, but I declined. I'm not sure I could do 2 alike again.
You're an artist!

#7 ·
Wow - that's pretty impressive!! I thought for sure you must have some fancy cutting machine - especially for some of the more intricate designs! Nice work!

#12 ·
I'm going to need you to put a little extra work in mine when I get them. Looks like you're slacking!!! :joke: Great work man! :a18:

#15 ·
x2 :bigthumbsup:

#14 ·
Ah, I see it. You have one of those fancy jig saws with the laser built into it. That blade ain't cutting nothing. :D

Excellent work Len, no matter how you do it. I'd be scared to death to start cutting on mine with a jig saw, and I have one of those nice DeWalt units that my wife spent way too much for as a Christmas present.

Interesting about the Dremels too. I have one old unit that came as part of a chain saw sharpening kit that I've ran for years, primarily as a router. I got one of their router bases for it. I also have, and this is really old, a Montgomery Ward imitation that has also ran for quite a few years. A year or two ago I cashed in a service award and bought one of the better heavy duty Dremel kits with something like 70 accessories and it's worked great. I've polished a bunch of small aluminum pieces with it.

#20 ·
your a very patient man!

i figured you werent doing these with a waterjet because they will blast a little bit around the cuts and you would have to re-do all the chrome afterward... i have had a lot of stuff waterjet cut and you always have to do some type of finish work afterward.

#23 ·
Awesome bro... I appreciate the fact that you are using a jigsaw with a conventional handle. I switched out to a barrel grip jigsaw years ago and
never looked back.
That is one thing that I am going to look into. The jigsaw is heavy and hurts the wrist every once in a while. Would love to get a air one that is kind of an inline. The lighter the better. Plus a good hand position while cutting is key to being able to do these for a while.

#30 ·
When your wife takes your picture you should scowl to mimic the expression of the duck in your logo. LOL! :D

#33 ·
len,

I always thought the same thing no way he cuts these by hand but after meeting you and your wife at the MID your word was good enough for me

wish you much success in this venture you both deserve it.and anyone how get the chance to meet them will know what I mean.

best wishes
k109

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.