De-baffle the stock exhaust - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: De-baffle the stock exhaust

Default 2006 Drilled

I have a 2006 with stock pipes. It was too quiet so I read all the information on this thread which was very helpful.

I drilled the two baffle walls out like the great instructions and photos said but there was still a third that was over 10 inches in the pipe. I bought a second 12" extension and joined them together and drilled them.

I also drilled the 8 1/2" holes around the base plate.

Its pouring down outside so I haven't been for a big ride yet but so far I love the sound.

Thanks Very much

So you will have to use 2 12" extentions to do this mod on an 2006. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Just did mine an hour ago and sounded loud. but not when in high speed though.Which is great as it will not impaired my hearing during long rides. BTW, we do not have extended bits for the drill bits so I modified a square bar to be used for drilling. It got stuck twice in the hole and broke once too.In the end I am glad it got the job done.
    Last edited by MalM109R; 08-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    That's what I did. Don't forget to shoot a little black high temp paint in there. You do not want the pipes rusting out from the inside.
    just spray right in the hole or the outside wall>

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I swear I see a set of 3rd baffles in my 08 about 14" or so inches in. Should I drill em. Can someone w/ an 08 pls. chime in Thx
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    I swear I see a set of 3rd baffles in my 08 about 14" or so inches in. Should I drill em. Can someone w/ an 08 pls. chime in Thx
    I have an 08 and mine only had two in it. From what I am hearing in 08 two different exhausts were used. I know the 06 and 07's have a third baffle wall.

Quote Originally Posted by LoRange93 View Post
    I have an 08 and mine only had two in it. From what I am hearing in 08 two different exhausts were used. I know the 06 and 07's have a third baffle wall.
    I've heard likewise however mine (as you can see in the pics) only had two baffles per pipe as well. Shine a light in the bottom (or top) exhaust pipe and look throuth the opposit pipe, if you see the light and a distinct angle where the pipes curve in towards the engine then no more baffles, if not then there's a 3rd one in there somewhere.
    If you think you might be slurring a little, then you are slurring a lot. If you think you are slurring a lot, then you are not speaking English.

Anyonejust drill the 8 holes? If so any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebmx View Post
    Anyonejust drill the 8 holes? If so any difference?
    Tremendously louder with either the 8 half inch holes or the end caps all taken out.

My 08 have only 2 walls to be drilled both top and bottom exhausts. Pushed a steel rod in to check and it went straight in and almost at the beginning of the exhausts.

[QUOTE=BobbyMac;1322079]I gutted my pipe. Thread and pics here:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132546

BobbyMac is the guy who wrote the post that got me to gut my pipes. There is NO comparison between gutting and the 8 holes drilled. Gutted, the bikes just sounds MEAN. I have had more compliments on it from friends who knew the bike's sound before. Nice thing is it is not obnoxiously loud like some pipes can be. Great mod by any measure!

K&N Filters, Debeavered, gutted stock pipes, Lowered 2.25". Suzuki Engine Guards, Suzuki Backrest, Irate Mesh Grill, Stebel Air Horn, Back Off Flashers, Polished Wheels, 250mm Rear, Kuryakyn foot pegs and shifter cover, Duck's Covers, ISO Grips

thanks guys, I'll get that 3rd baffle on my 08 outta there....and report back
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin

found and drilled out the 3rd baffle on my 08. Sounds pretty much the same at idle, but roars a lot more when you nail it
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    found and drilled out the 3rd baffle on my 08. Sounds pretty much the same at idle, but roars a lot more when you nail it
    It's louder than my Cobra's now.

Great post! I just finished it, sorta. It took me FOREVER to find the right tools. But anyway, I have an 08 and I drilled out the two baffles in the top pipe, however one of the pieces i drilled out AND the drill bit that broke off disappeared somewhere inside the pipe! (Will this hurt anything? ) On the bottom pipe I drilled the first baffle, and drilled, and drilled, and drilled, got what looks to be all the way through but it wont budge. So i drilled and drilled and drilled and well nothing. Well the nine does sound alot better than stock but be careful riding behind me cause a drill bit might come shootin out at ya

Default Thanks guys!

Just finished doing this mod and wow. Bike sounds GREAT!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roctiludrop View Post
    Just finished doing this mod and wow. Bike sounds GREAT!
    cool, Mine has had the baffles out for about a month, I finished drilling 8 1/2" holes in each muffler tonight, LOL Wanted a lil more noise. Not REAL loud though, Had to bump up the last 2 pots on the Cobra FI2000 one notch though to allow for the more free flow of the exhaust.....

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post

@ 42 seconds what are you doing Looks like your wiping ball sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch 09R View Post
    @ 42 seconds what are you doing Looks like your wiping ball sweat
    Very well could have been...LOL. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was about 120+ degrees in my garage that day....hot Georgia summer!

HD ETR

got ya or caught ya---

well i did mine yesterday and I have an 06 and it only had 2 baffles .
    so i saw here that the 06 has 3 so I stuck it down more and I started to drill and cut the muffler bat the end ,so I had to take it of and fix it .so why mine only had two then if it's a n 06 .
    but after all I like the sound not to much just a dipper sound I like it thx guys.

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

They both have two halfs in both upper and lower. Both 06 and 07.

Its nice to see that everybody got the hang of this. I did it way back in 07 and every body was in to the drill that they didn't think about pulling the baffles out. The top one you have to leave the outer sleeve to the baffle. Its got isolation between the sleeve and the chrome cover. The bottom one don't have a sleeve. They used a thicker pipe and no sleeve so you have to brake the welds off the walls holding the baffle pipe.
    They do sound nice and deep when you get on it.

Dave and Sandy @ NES.stone.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

Default Merry Christmas

I can't believe it has been a little more than a year since I posted this up here, goes by so quickly. I am glad that there has been so much feedback and that everyone has added a little here and there and that this posting has helped so many people over the past year. I just wanted to jump on and say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all and hope everyone has a great and safe new year!

-"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

-Dewman
    If you think you might be slurring a little, then you are slurring a lot. If you think you are slurring a lot, then you are not speaking English.

Default Removed 4 drilled 8

Huge improvement .... much more angry and pissed off, just the way it should be.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE THE SECOND BAFFLE WALL FROM THE OUTER WALL IN AN 09 WITH THE BAFFLE THAT HAS THE 5 SMALL PIPES AROUND THE 1 1/4" CENTER PIPE?

My wifes C50 had that same setup, and I used an extension and a 4 inch hole saw. worked great.

Default De-baffling

Are there any other adjustment that need to be made after de-baffling? ie fuel air mixture or K&N filters?

First of all, let me introduce myself, I'm out of San Antonio Tx and i just purchased a 2011 M109R LE. I love this bike and I think it's bad a$$.
    There seems to be a ton of good info in here and I've done a lot of reading. I know I will learn a whole lot here as well and I look forward in doing so.

So here is my first question. Being that I have a 2011, how different is the "baffle" system in mne? Do I still have those first two that I keep reading about?

I see how this thread is mainly on 07's and 08's. Of course I won't be doing this for a while cause I'm still in the break in period. I only have 160 miles on the clock so far.
    I guess I'm also scared of messing up my warrenty. That bothers me. Purchased some additional years for the bike. If I find some other stock exhaust for warranty issues, are they hard to replace?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    First of all, let me introduce myself, I'm out of San Antonio Tx and i just purchased a 2011 M109R LE. I love this bike and I think it's bad a$$.
    There seems to be a ton of good info in here and I've done a lot of reading. I know I will learn a whole lot here as well and I look forward in doing so.

So here is my first question. Being that I have a 2011, how different is the "baffle" system in mne? Do I still have those first two that I keep reading about?

I see how this thread is mainly on 07's and 08's. Of course I won't be doing this for a while cause I'm still in the break in period. I only have 160 miles on the clock so far.
    I guess I'm also scared of messing up my warrenty. That bothers me. Purchased some additional years for the bike. If I find some other stock exhaust for warranty issues, are they hard to replace?

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome! I think the only difference on your bike is the tach location and gear indicator. Otherwise same bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

The other day I drilled eight 3/8" holes in each pipe. Sound much better.

Hopefully this will be my last ?.
    Should I wait till I finish the break in period of the motor to do this mod?

Gonna drill them out tomorrow if I have time to do so. My bike is a 2011. I stuck a measuring tape in there to see how far the first one was. It hit it at 11". Does this mean that I need a longer extension to get the second one?
    Last edited by dre319; 05-20-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Did it and love it. There were only two to drill out of the top and bottom.