De-baffle the stock exhaust - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: De-baffle the stock exhaust

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

Mine just passed the other day with flying colors and i hae off road spot lights for head lights. One low beam and the other high beam. lol
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member need more power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glaze26 View Post
    Just got my first M109R. I have been wanting this bike since 2006. My question is Will this void my warranty?

pick up an extra set of stock pipes and stick em in the garage...if you ever have a warranty issue, change them. you can usually get stock pipes for pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open.
    I'm pullin' for ya'...we're all in this together!

Very Active Member bigdaddyking's Avatar

Great video, I will be doing this ASAP.

thanks, it helps making this decision easier.

bdk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Just went to pick up parts for this at lowes..and they only had 10 inch ext....would that work for two baffles?
    "Motorcyclist are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what make of machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan" - Walter Davidson 1920.

I'm considering doing this mod this weekend. We shall see if I do and if I like it. I'm not much of a mechanic so I've got to keep this thread up for pointers.

To those of you who have done this and posted about it...THANKS for all the info!
    2008 - Black - No mods

I think there needs to be an official clarification of terms. Drilling out baffles VS Debaffling. I believe that I have debaffled my exhaust (see attached pic). Prior to debaffling I had done several versions of drilling out the baffles. In the pic the hole you see is were the primary enters the muffler, my cat and crossover are intact, otherwise it is a straight pipe.
    If you want LOUD and deep sound especially when you get on it, then you need to debaffle. At idle, it sounds good, and the neighbors are not going to linch you, but if you snap the throttle or get on it under load this thing flat rours. When I start it next to cars with alarms, it sets them off.

Been saying it for years. Four years later and every body finely caught on. And yes its a nice deep sound.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.

Yeah I gutted mine out bc I did the baffle and then the four then 8 holes It wasn't what I was looking for the I decided to gut it but the 08 models have I different baffle system and it was a PITA to do but after talking to a couple guys I used I air hammer with a chisel and got it all out finally
    2008 LE, Homemade chrome radiator grill DeBadged &Beaver, Stebel, Kury ISO Grips, Throttle Boss, Corbin seat & rear w/built in sissy bar, Homemade Led turnsignals front& rear, Modded stock exhaust, Kury floorboards,Arnott air ride, PC 3 ,ATRE, (Homemade intakes/key side plates/tag mount/blade mirrors)
    blade levers, Hid Headlight, passenger boards, 1+ riser, custom wheels

So I drilled out the first 2 pair of baffles . I havent drilled the 1/2 inch holes yet . Its a huge improvement but maybe Im lookin for just a *little* more . I am considering drilling out the 3rd baffle ( last pair ) before I do any drilling of the 1/2 inch holes . Any sound to be gained from the last baffle removal ?

This post here is for de-baffle not drill. We rip the baffles right out.

I gutted mine completely....next step, 3 inch pipe welded into the 3 inch hole and pushed all the way up to the inner pipe. I hope it sound like the hounds of hell set loose.

Very Active Member bigdaddyking's Avatar

Thanks DewmanCo. I did this last week, only did (2) 3/8" holes instead of 1/2" holes. All I can say is that it took me about a half hour to do this and the sound is much, much better. This will have to do for now until the Banker lets me spend $1000 for pipes and then $1700 for paint.
    Thanks again
    BDK

Save your money, Gut your stock exhaust, you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by AFelix View Post
    Save your money, Gut your stock exhaust, you will not regret it.

They do not come out easy, but they sound absolutely great. I am so glad that I did not pay for a set of exhaust. At first I never thought I
    would get them out, but after a little help from "Yellow109R" and they
    came out. I recently got the chance to hear them compared to a
    Sideburner and I think it beat the Sideburner with loudness and deepness.

I picked up a used exhaust on craigslist thanks to LuciousBlvd this week and decided to do a "custom" version of the original like his bike. He calls shorty. I saw his bike on our first meeting two weeks ago and looks and sounds nice.
    I'll keep my original for warranty issues as other members suggested.
    Pictures soon...

Its good to see lot of people liking the DE-BAFFLE of the stock pipes. It is a nice sound. At that point you have options to do what ever you like to the pipes. Tips, turn outs, putting all sorts of things inside the 3" pipe. Can't wait to see what people do to them. Rumble on guys.

Makes me feel fuzzy all over...lol

Is there 3 baffles in all year 9's. I have 2 drilled out, but am having a hard time finding the 18" extension. No luck at HD and Lowes. Thx!!
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

There's to sets of baffles in each pipe. There's one plate that holds one set of small pipes, then in back of that one is another plate that holes a nother set of pipes. That's whats in the 07s. The newer ones have what their calling a Gatling gun pipes Don't know if your just drilling. But most of us that do it we rip the baffles right out plates and everything. No drilling. Most use air chisel to pop the welds. Its a horn party. But sound nice when done. Hope that helps Bosox.

Oh yea the bottom one you can take the tip off if you have a welder to put it back on. It has a small tack you can grind off. Makes it easy to work on.

What a space shot I am. Here I was thinking this was the post we talked about DE-BAFFLE and its about drilling. What throw me off is someone talking about de baffle instead of drill. sheesh. The pictures here are grate for people de-baffling or drilling. Thanks guys for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    Is there 3 baffles in all year 9's. I have 2 drilled out, but am having a hard time finding the 18" extension. No luck at HD and Lowes. Thx!!
    Up through 07 there were 3 baffle walls in each pipe, and the center pipes were slightly larger. 08's and up have 2 baffle walls, slightly smaller center pipes, and totally different baffles around the center pipe.

I still don't think people get it. I gutted the wifes C50 tonight, and discovered that behind the 3rd plate (when counting the 1st plate) there seems to be a CAT (honey comb) in each pipe, I left them in place. The wife wanted loud!! And now she is concerned about getting pulled over for being to loud. Seems you can never please them .
    Any way, at idle her C50 isn't very loud at all, but if you snap the throttle or get on it under load, it sounds great. (Not as good as my gutted 9) but good. I spent $40 on extensions and bits, and saved myself $500 +.
    If you like the look of the stock pipes (which I do), I think you are crazy to spend money on aftermarket pipes before you gut your stockers. I think my gutted stock pipes sound deeper and more bad ass, that any aftermarket I have heard yet. I would post a sound bite, but they never do the real sound justice.
    Check my previous post to see a pic of what a 109s gutted pipe looks like. I have an 08 R2, and there were 3 plates including the 1st wall at the very end of the pipe. It took me alot less than 5 hours to complete, and since I don't make $100 + an hour at work, I consider it to be time well spent, especially considering the outstanding result.

I would still have my stock pipes on if i wasn't hit from behind and recked the pipes, tire and rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Up through 07 there were 3 baffle walls in each pipe, and the center pipes were slightly larger. 08's and up have 2 baffle walls, slightly smaller center pipes, and totally different baffles around the center pipe.
    OK, I have the 2 baffles drilled, and went from 4 holes in the back of each pipe to 8 holes. Sounds better, although I see what looks like a 3rd baffle 10 inches in on my 08. What would that be? Should I drill it? Do not want to remove baffles, i think it'll be too loud for me. I had dragsters on my last bike, too dam& loud. Thanks!!
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

What a great thread, some very useful information.

Maybe I missed it, but what can I expect for an 09 109. It seems the pipes for an 09 are different based on what I'm reading, but I can't seem to find clarity on the number of baffles and how far back the 2nd baffle is...

Thanks in advance.
    '09 109...kind of catchy!

Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd View Post
    What a great thread, some very useful information.

Maybe I missed it, but what can I expect for an 09 109. It seems the pipes for an 09 are different based on what I'm reading, but I can't seem to find clarity on the number of baffles and how far back the 2nd baffle is...

Thanks in advance.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
    '09 109...kind of catchy!

I finally did it to my 07. All I could find was a 12" extension so I only got 2 baffles out of each pipe.

What a difference in sound. The sound clips online do not do justice to how it actually sounds. To me it makes the bike sound more muscular. The sound fits the look and image. I can understand why gas mileage will go down now.

Now I'm wondering just how much different it'll sound if I can ever get the last 2 baffles out.

Not ready to drill the holes around the end yet.

I gutted my pipe. Thread and pics here:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132546

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGIZKOnOAs[/ame]

HD ETR

Did my pearl white 9 with the eight holes and it a big difference in sound and you can also tell in performance. Have couple of other 9 riders with the side burner set up which is really nice and a deeper sound with back off pops. I think I will ride with this one for now and wait for the winter for more ideas on exhaust and fuel management upgrades..

Keep the shiney side UPPPP !!!!!

crossq

Default De-Baffling an 06

Quote Originally Posted by dewmanCO View Post
    Ok, so I know if you search here you get quite a few results for de-baffling the exhaust. One of which used to have a video that no longer works. I learn by seeing so I though I'd throw up some pictures of what I did so that those of you who may still have questions and want to see it kind of step-by-step can.

This is on an '08 M109R

First off, the tools:
    -Drill
    -flash light
    -1-1/4" hole saw with drill bit guide
    -12" extension
    -1/2" drill bit

Now set up the drill for, well, drilling:

The hole saw goes into the exhaust like so:

This might get a bit tricky just because the hole saw might spin funny due to the set screw in the extension, to get around this I just put a folded up piece of paper between the hole saw bit and the female end of the extension to tighten it up so there was less awkward spinning going on (does that make sense?).

Moving on, once you get the bit in there you'll hit the first wall. You can push hard when drilling if you want but know that when the guide bit goes through the baffle the hole saw might catch and spin the drill so hold on tight.

The first two baffles come out pretty nicely on the hole saw. I found that if you push lightly and let the saw grind through it, the baffle came out with the hole saw. You'll want to keep the drill spinning slowly on the way out, that way its a bit easier to pull out and you don't lose the baffle and/or bit:

and:

Now that the first baffle in both exhaust pipes is out you can do the same for the second. The second baffle is a bit harder to get to but just keep heading back in there and you'll hit 'em. When the drill spins smoothly that means the guide bit is doing its job.

The second set of baffles unfortunately didn't come out as easily as the first. No biggie though, thats where the extendy magnet thing helps:

The first set of baffles are on the right and the second set on the left:

I tried to get a shot inside the pipe of the finished product but it didn't work too well:

Any who, that is what I did. I didn't bother to drill the 1/2" holes around the outer perimeter of the main exhaust hole. I think I'll ride her like this for a bit and see if I want more out of her.

I didn't notice a big change in the idle sound but definitely did in the sound during acceleration. Instead of hissing it gives of a nice rumble now, then when cruising at speed it is a bit mild which I personally enjoy (I can still hear myself think which is always a plus). Well, for this mod. Big fan. Hope this helps people or gives people a bit of reference when trying this stuff out.
    I just did this mod to tide me over until I get a set of scorpion tips. This was a great help and my bike sounds great. Just to let you and everyone that reads this know. An 06 has 3 baffle walls in each exhaust. So you will have to use 2 12" extentions to do this mod on an 2006. Thanks

Ok, I shouldn't have drilled out the baffles.

My gas mileage has decreased.

More people are looking.

Beast doesn't want to sit still.

May have 16 holes by tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's actually quicker but I do seem to twist the throttle a little farther.