De-baffle the stock exhaust - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: De-baffle the stock exhaust

Found this one where he says 4 1/2" holes were drilled out in each back plate:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqubLTEtkHI[/ame]
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Any this one from the same guys where he just says drilled out. Can't tell if it sounds different. Wish he was out in the open, but beggers can't be choosers

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWle8wNBz6E&feature=related[/ame]
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin

Default Exhaust mod.

I just did this mod and it is great!! I did it in stages like most people have said they did it. I removed first one baffle then tried it and so on. I removed both baffle's and drilled two half inch holes horizontally across from each other. At that point I ran the bike and liked the noise level so I did not finish drilling the half inch holes. This is a great mod and is very easy to do. Also it only takes maybe five to ten minutes and your done!

Thanks a lot for the great pics and how to!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

You guys make me laugh. Its not debaffle. If you debaffle you take the baffles out. Your just drilling them..

Ive debaffled and you can stick your arm up inside the pipes...Thats debaffle, when you got the baffle in your hand. LMFAO.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by She's real fine my 109 View Post
    You guys make me laugh. Its not debaffle. If you debaffle you take the baffles out. Your just drilling them..

Ive debaffled and you can stick your arm up inside the pipes...Thats debaffle, when you got the baffle in your hand. LMFAO.
    Technically your correct. But it's not a big deal. You know what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaRoller View Post
    Technically your correct. But it's not a big deal. You know what they mean.
    When you quote him it forces me to read his non value add crap. You're defeating my ignone option
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    When you quote him it forces me to read his non value add crap. You're defeating my ignone option
    and it encourages him/her

Quote Originally Posted by bullrider View Post
    thick shmoopucky(technical term for gunk)

just drilled out the baffles on my 07 stock exhaust. removed 4 plates, 2 from the top, 2 from the bottom. tested it without the 8 1/2 inch holes in the back plate. couldn't really tell the difference at idle, not until i reved the throttle could I really notice a difference. so I went ahead and drilled out the 8 1/2 in holes in the back plates. really noticed it then, even in idle. i did notice what looks like another set of plates before the curve in both pipes. thought about drillin those out, but it sounds good enough without havin to do that, plus id need a longer extension. I think its a 07 thing with the extra plates. either way, beats spendin 600 bucks on pipes. heres to the cheap 109 riders.

Thumbs up De-baffle'n the M

Thanks Dewmanco, I will be head to the hardware store to pick up some additions to my drill set and start getting this baby breathing !!!!! I am also about to change my clutch and thinking about going with a aftermarket cycle house high performance with MTC springs... any suggestions ??

crossq ([email protected])

Default Baffles

Ok, I have a 2006 and I was only able to drill out 1 baffle in each pipe. I actually used 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4" hole saw...its a perfect fit! So with a 12" extension, I can't reach #2 baffle in each...whats up? By just drilling out one it sounds chirpy when I rev it up and the rpms come back down...Not sure if they make a long extension for the hole saw I have. I'll try drilling 4 holes in the end caps and go from there.

Default Best upgrade for the money so far

Thanks, great sound and only spent $40 total. Two walls and four holes on each pipe. Was able to use a 10" extension. Maybe as I get older and my hearing is going away I'll get to 8 holes. This sight has been great for how to's and finding parts.

Quote Originally Posted by psiedoff View Post
    Ok, I have a 2006 and I was only able to drill out 1 baffle in each pipe. I actually used 1 3/8 instead of 1 1/4" hole saw...its a perfect fit! So with a 12" extension, I can't reach #2 baffle in each...whats up? By just drilling out one it sounds chirpy when I rev it up and the rpms come back down...Not sure if they make a long extension for the hole saw I have. I'll try drilling 4 holes in the end caps and go from there.
    On page 2 of this thread I gave pics. & a full parts list including a 18" extension you can get from Home Depot or Lowes. Why didn't you just do that?

On page 2 of this thread I gave pics. & a full parts list including a 18" extension you can get from Home Depot or Lowes. Why didn't you just do that?

Yes, I went to Menards and got an 18" extension and was able to drill out the 2nd baffle plate. But lost both inside my pipes. Sounds a bit better...I took off the top exhaust slip on and at the cross-over pipe, inside I noticed catalayorconverter core inside...this is what is restricting the sound don't you think? Has anyone removed this stuff on the stock pipes to see how it sounds? I'd just hate to loss my stock pipe look and the cross over. I'm thinking that removing the honeycomb would let it roar better! thoughts

Yes, I went to Menards and got an 18" extension and was able to drill out the 2nd baffle plate. But lost both inside my pipes. Sounds a bit better...I took off the top exhaust slip on and at the cross-over pipe, inside I noticed catalayorconverter core inside...this is what is restricting the sound don't you think? Has anyone removed this stuff on the stock pipes to see how it sounds? I'd just hate to loss my stock pipe look and the cross over. I'm thinking that removing the honeycomb would let it roar better! thoughts
    Yes some guys have completely "Gutted" the pipes which is a true & complete debaffle job. I have not heard that in person however. With the 18" extension you can successfully drill through all three plates on each pipe. Even with all three plates bored out and 7 or 8 1/2" holes in the end cap it's still not a "loud" setup. It will however be much more throaty/sporty sounding. I have not noticed any loss of power by doing this.

If you remove/hollow out the CAT, you will lose low end torque! You will notice a difference in performance... especially if you end up removing the cans, and putting tips on. Just a FYI!

Oh, I rans scorpion tips, with the CAT intact... That is NOT what is making it quiet. The cans, are mufflers... period. If you want to make it loud, drill/grind out the tack welds, and remove all the internals in the mufflers...
    Last edited by Hink; 04-01-2010 at 01:46 PM.

New Member? Click here: Frequently asked questions.

Yes some guys have completely "Gutted" the pipes which is a true & complete debaffle job. I have not heard that in person however. With the 18" extension you can successfully drill through all three plates on each pipe. Even with all three plates bored out and 7 or 8 1/2" holes in the end cap it's still not a "loud" setup. It will however be much more throaty/sporty sounding. I have not noticed any loss of power by doing this.
    I used to make Baffle Busters that were 24 inches long and welded together with replaceable hole saw tip. You could drill all the way into the CAT if you wanted.

As for the exhaust after debaffle,, just a little louder at idle, definitely louder under load. Perfect for those cops that want to give loud pipe bikes a ticket (i.e. Myrtle Beach).

Note: Debaffling the exhaust off the bike is a PITA...
    Last edited by Delmustator; 04-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

Ok, I've read each and every post. Just in case I missed something, don't bash me (there's a total of 76 posts mind you). From what I understand if you change aftermarket filters (K&N for example) using the stock cover you would require fuel management. With that being said, would a Duck's mod using the OEM filter and drilling out all 3 baffles require fuel management?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher View Post
    Ok, I've read each and every post. Just in case I missed something, don't bash me (there's a total of 76 posts mind you). From what I understand if you change aftermarket filters (K&N for example) using the stock cover you would require fuel management. With that being said, would a Duck's mod using the OEM filter and drilling out all 3 baffles require fuel management?
    From what I understand if you change aftermarket filters (K&N for example) using the stock cover you would require fuel management? NO

Would a Duck's mod using the OEM filter and drilling out all 3 baffles require fuel management? YES

Any time you increase the air flow with an aftermarket intake (including a Ducks Mod) then you really need to get a FI controller. Having said that your bike will probably run crisper with a FI controller entirely stock, but it's not necessary.

I'm running drilled out stock pipes, K&N replacement filters, Ducks mod covers & Cobra FI Controller and it all works great. (also have the Smart TRE).

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I haven't run into any performance issues that I know of since the Duck's mod, but from what you're saying I might (and probably will) with the exhaust drilling.
    Last edited by Krusher; 04-07-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Just got my first M109R. I have been wanting this bike since 2006. My question is Will this void my warranty?

Very Active Member Screamnyellozonker's Avatar

My dealer tried to sell me a bike [orange] too slow with a set of roadhouse pipes on it and it was new. I bought a fast one [yellow] with the stock pipes. I now have a raw shorty and can put the stocker back on if I need to. Look in the manual It says it is illeagle to modify the parts that effect sound levels. My guess is it will depend on your dealer and what goes wrong.
    John3:16 PGR Rider.
    USMC
    Raw Black Shorty
    PC-V with Auto tune and quickshifter, Factory Pro shift star, Edelbrocks. 162 Hp 142 torque with the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamnyellozonker View Post
    My dealer tried to sell me a bike [orange] too slow with a set of roadhouse pipes on it and it was new. I bought a fast one [yellow] with the stock pipes. I now have a raw shorty and can put the stocker back on if I need to. Look in the manual It says it is illeagle to modify the parts that effect sound levels. My guess is it will depend on your dealer and what goes wrong.
    The only reason I ask is that I got a 4 year warranty and if it is going to void that then im not doing it. It cost a chunk of change to get it. Thanks for the reply.

Do you "gentlemen" happen to know if I would use the same process for the 90?

Quote Originally Posted by nbnight View Post
    Do you "gentlemen" happen to know if I would use the same process for the 90?
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...ighlight=drill
    CAPZ LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Default New c109r, need help

Hello all, just purchased a new c109r and i want to debaffle the pipes. Has anyone done this to their c109r ? How many walls is there, what tools do i use and how should i do it. I live in Hagerstown md and i'm willing to travel some if anybody is willing to help me. I really dont want to screw this up. Wife is like DONT YOU DARE DO THIS, IM LIKE Riiiiiiiiiight honey. Thanks all

Default De-baffle exhaust

Thanks..... I purchased my M109 a week ago and I'm so glad there is a webpage like this, doing the debaffle of my bike was so easy following the steps you all log here. I'll keep checking the "How to, step by step" board to see what else I can do to my M109R....

Once again ... Thank you ALL..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Screamnyellozonker View Post
    Has anyone experienced problems getting their Nine passed during vehicle inspections (realizing inspections vary from state to state)?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusher View Post
    Has anyone experienced problems getting their Nine passed during vehicle inspections (realizing inspections vary from state to state)?
    good question
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin

Talking

I gutted mine it sounds way better I posted a vid but it is very pepy now with the atre mod and the gutted exhaust it keeps up with my buddys gsxr 750

Drilled out the 2 baffles, tested it. Wanted it a little louder so I drilled 4 1/2" holes in each pipe. Took it for a blast, sounds just right....If I can do it, anyone can. All 4 baffles came out in the holesaw.
    Last edited by Bosox; 05-17-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    In wine there is wisdom,
    -Ben Franklin