De-baffle the stock exhaust - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: De-baffle the stock exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
    excellent write up and great pictures.

And to ensure that all other variables remain the same, the camera should not be moved from its position relative to the bike, as well as changing the RPMs from idle to 3k......

Should be interesting.....
    Thought I was doing about the same in my video's :).

*I do with I would have done some slower rev's as well, and slow rev to about 3k and hold for about 5 seconds.

Michael
    Last edited by mrwjr2003; 01-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrwjr2003 View Post
    Thought I was doing about the same in my video's :).

*I do with I would have done some slower rev's as well, and slow rev to about 3k and hold for about 5 seconds.

Michael
    I guess I mean, combine it all into one video.
    I really liked the sound of the second video, there was a noticeable difference. I think if it was back to back with no interruption of having to start another video it would be a more dramatic difference. I think with the subtle changes of just one baffle removal at a time, this difference may be small enough that it would be hard to tell......

Slower revs to about 3k, I agree. I'll make a point of doing that to so that people can get an idea of what it sounds like as they are cruising down the road........

again, I really like the sound of the de-baffled pipes, very nice.

Very Active Member 1 wheel peel's Avatar

I had posted this in the other thread but I will post it here too. It might help someone to see just what they are drilling through.

Some have comented on the tone getting much deeper once the third baffle is cut out. Here are some pictures out of a 2006 that may explain why.

1st baffle shown(with eight hole mod but no center hole cutt out) from the inside looking past the 2nd baffle(or middle one)

2nd or middle baffle (not much there)

Here is where most of the work is done 3rd baffle (closest to the engine)

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Man! This thread is getting better and better. Thanks to all for the excellent information, pictures and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Just got off the phone with some local experts and found out that there is a slight difference in the 06 and some 07 exhaust. The first 2 baffles can be reached with a 12" extension, but there is one more a little futher in. It "can not" be reached with a 12" extension, and will need at least 18" to get to it. Once it warms up, I will see how it sounds with the inner baffle still in place. If it is not to my liking, I will give it a try with a longer extension.
    I've looked everywhere for a 18" extension and can't find one. Is it safe to hook a 12" and a 6" extension together?

Anyone close to Music City already have the tools and be willing to help a 9r out?

excellent write up and great pictures.

I plan on doing this as well and posting results of the following sounds all in one video:

Stock
    1 baffle removed from each pipe
    2 baffles removed from each pipe
    4 holes drilled with both baffles removed from each pipe
    8 holes drilled with both baffles removed from each pipe

I think this would give a comprehensive review of what the difference is in sound between each change. And to ensure that all other variables remain the same, the camera should not be moved from its position relative to the bike, as well as changing the RPMs from idle to 3k......

Should be interesting.....
    That should be quite interesting. I didn't think to do that stuff when I put up the pics but something you might also think of is seeing if you can get a hold of a decimeter somewhere. I was looking for some and you can get them pretty cheap, would be interesting to see what the difference in decibel output is.

I guess I mean, combine it all into one video.
    I really liked the sound of the second video, there was a noticeable difference. I think if it was back to back with no interruption of having to start another video it would be a more dramatic difference. I think with the subtle changes of just one baffle removal at a time, this difference may be small enough that it would be hard to tell......

Slower revs to about 3k, I agree. I'll make a point of doing that to so that people can get an idea of what it sounds like as they are cruising down the road........

again, I really like the sound of the de-baffled pipes, very nice.
    Yeah, I think that will be helpful, plus if you use a better camera than an iPhone you will be doing better than I.

Until that video comes, what I found helpful was to play all three videos one at a time until you get to the section where I am reving. Then Pause each one.

Once there, then you can start one video, listen to a rev, pause, do the same with the next. Very nice comparison.

So, I am off to brave the freezing temps here in FL, a High of 45. And make more holes and then video.

Now where are those thermal underwear?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by dewmanCO View Post
    That should be quite interesting. I didn't think to do that stuff when I put up the pics but something you might also think of is seeing if you can get a hold of a decimeter somewhere. I was looking for some and you can get them pretty cheap, would be interesting to see what the difference in decibel output is.
    I have some recording equipment that plugs into my laptop for musical purposes. I'll use that equipment instead of the mic on my camera. This should be very interesting.

Which bike may have 3 baffles per pipe?

I have a 2007, and looked down my tail pipe (haha) and it sure does look like another baffle is down there.

Thanks,
    Michael

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

06 and some 07's. I think I will try it with leaving the last (or first) baffle in and see what it sounds like.

Where was this post when I could not find it? I have an 09 and wanted some more sound but not straight pipes. I had seen some posts that mention differences between older and newer systems so I was not sure how much change to expect. Thanks to some advice from members I decided to drill 8 1/4 inch holes in the rear plate of each pipe and I am very happy with the sound so far. Won't no for sure till I get it out of the garage when the snow melts. It has a little more rumble on idle and a lot more when I rev it. If It needs more I may go a little bigger with the holes but based on how it sounds now I think removing the baffles may make it too loud. My advice would be to start with the holes in the rear plate, easier than removing baffles and I'm sure many will love the sound without touching the baffles.
    Last edited by bigJim; 01-10-2010 at 01:11 AM.

I have a question. Will a 10 inch extension work? Or do you absolutely have to have the full twelve?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I have an 06 and the 12" extension barely made it to the second baffle. I did 2 baffles and 8- 7/16" holes in the end. I love the sound. Ride up US-1 to Apex and you can use my 12" extension. I have everything you need to do the 2- rear baffles and you can hear what it will sound like. 4 of us rode to Ashboro to meet a fellow niner last saturday. 1 bike with gutted exhaust, 1 bike with 3 baffles out and 4 holes, 1 bike stock, and my bike with 2 baffles out and 8 holes. I couldn't believe the differences in the sounds.

can wait to drill my pipes

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

I say pull the baffles out the end. then you can stick your whole arm up the pipe. Now thats a nice sound. Make a HD sound like a popcorn machine. Don't need commands either.
    Last edited by She's real fine my 109; 02-08-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

One of my first (and only right now) mods. I have big plans for this bike.
    You know me...

hey do i need to put a power commader on the bike when i do this mod in also the 8 holes go whare are do you just take out the hole back plate im new just got my bike thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlrsmpp1 View Post
    hey do i need to put a power commader on the bike when i do this mod in also the 8 holes go whare are do you just take out the hole back plate im new just got my bike thanks
    No power commander needed if you just drill the baffles and 8-holes (or the whole back plate). The 8 holes go through the back plate, around the outside of the center (baffle) hole. You could drill out the whole back plate instead of the eight holes, there is a video of what they sound like on youtube, I think it is also up here somewhere.
    If you think you might be slurring a little, then you are slurring a lot. If you think you are slurring a lot, then you are not speaking English.

thank you i just did it getting ready to take the hole back of it sounds good i need it louder hope it get louder after i take the back off

Default Fuel Man.

So... what I'm reading is there is no need for a fuel management system; when de-baffling and drilling 1/2 inch holes? Is this correct?

correct
    If you think you might be slurring a little, then you are slurring a lot. If you think you are slurring a lot, then you are not speaking English.

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

I just joined the debaffling club. I used the 1-1/4" hold saw method with an 18" extension and drilled through all three baffles on each pipe (6 pieces total) and also drilled 7ea. 1/2" holes in the end as well. I then sprayed the new cut holes with black Rustoleum High Heat paint.

Started it up and at idle it's still mild sounding. But give it a handfull of throttle and it's got much more bark. Still not as loud as I was hoping for but much better for sure. The tone sounds more like a racecar exhaust than a HD. Nice sporty rumble to it now.

Here's my parts list and what I paid to do the job:
    - 18" Irwin Speedbor Extension $17.97 (Lowe's)
    - Ridgid 1-1/4" Bi-Metal Bit $10.94 (Home Depot)
    - Hitachi 1/2" BlackGold Drill Bit $9.97 (Lowe's)
    - Hillman 25" Telescoping Magnet $3.97 (Lowe's)
    - Can of Rustoleum High Heat Paint $6.77 (Lowe's)

Total $49.62

I used my own 1/4" Guide bit that I had at home for the center of the 1-1/4" metal hole bit.

Last edited by GeorgiaRoller; 02-18-2010 at 02:19 AM.

Awsome. Thanks for the list.

Very Active Member Easy E on a 9's Avatar

Default exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Converted View Post
    So... what I'm reading is there is no need for a fuel management system; when de-baffling and drilling 1/2 inch holes? Is this correct?
    What if you debaffle and just put K&N filters in a stock box?? do u need a fule management system then??
    E

Great website.
    I did similar to GeorgiaRoller and drilled out the 6 baffle plates. I have not done the 1/2" holes in the end yet but it sounds much better than stock. My guide bit came loose and fell out inside the exhaust but lucky it was the top one and I was able to take it off and shake out the bit - this is not the case with the bottom exhaust as it does not disconnect...
    Mods - Radiator Guard - http://www.radguard.com.au
    Lambswool Seat Cover - http://www.goodwool.com.au/bike.html
    Windshield -VStream, Throtle control - Brakeaway, Rack - Ventura, Engine bars, Pillion back rest - HD Duece

Great thread! How many have done just this mod (8 1/2" holes in the rear plate) and are happy? I would like a little more rumble, but not much. My last bike was way too loud w/ the Cobra's that were on it when I bought it. Drove me crazy and I said never again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bigJim View Post
    Where was this post when I could not find it? I have an 09 and wanted some more sound but not straight pipes. I had seen some posts that mention differences between older and newer systems so I was not sure how much change to expect. Thanks to some advice from members I decided to drill 8 1/4 inch holes in the rear plate of each pipe and I am very happy with the sound so far. Won't no for sure till I get it out of the garage when the snow melts. It has a little more rumble on idle and a lot more when I rev it. If It needs more I may go a little bigger with the holes but based on how it sounds now I think removing the baffles may make it too loud. My advice would be to start with the holes in the rear plate, easier than removing baffles and I'm sure many will love the sound without touching the baffles.
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox View Post
    How many have done just this mod (8 1/2" holes in the rear plate) and are happy?
    I did this first and it wasn't throaty enough for me. It's really, really hard to tell you what to do because what one person thinks is too quiet another person thinks is too loud.

With the 1/2" endplate holes and all three baffle walls bored through it's just about right. You won't get any headaches from it but it sounds really nice IMO. I don't consider my pipes loud now, just a nice throaty/sporty sound is all.

Just drill through one baffle wall at a time and test the sound. Keep going or stop until its the sound you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E on a 9 View Post
    What if you debaffle and just put K&N filters in a stock box?? do u need a fule management system then??
    E
    Yes - You will need the Power Commander if you do both the exhaust and intake mads. These were the 1st mods I did and loved the results.
    Orange 2008 - Chrome wheels, polished rotors, Roadhouse Pipes, Power Commander, Modified Air Intake, Kury Grips, Cobra Shaft Cover, Matazu Bags, Ghost Brackets, Kewl Metal Fork Tubes, Debadged, Debeavered Phase 1, Side Mount Plate, Rifle Soloshield

Quote Originally Posted by mrwjr2003 View Post
    Ok, thought I would do this to help everyone out, not sure if it does or not.

First, how my bike sounds stock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z15UbuLZDi0

Next, this is with both baffles out of both pipes, and no 1/2 holes yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtj9NvRZOo

This one is with 2 of the 1/2 inch holes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ47-pX4RJM

I liked the sound, but wanted more umph. I drilled two 1/2" holes. I will record tonight and get it up as well.

However, my next move is to go to 4 holes. When I do this, I will record and put up as well.

Thanks,
    Michael

Also, as to my experience... It also took me longer to get the correct tools than to do the job. If you take it slow when removing the hole cutter you should be able to get all of the baffles out. I had to use the magnet on both pipes for the second baffle, but they were very easy to get.

Drilling the 1/2 holes was a bit different. Each hole take a bit longer than you would imagine, and you have to be patient and just take your time. I think I will use a center punch next time to help keep a better position on where I am drilling.

Good thread. I've already done the mod and loved it. For those that are contemplating this mod this thread will be very helpful. The video's in each step with the sound recordings are great also. I the spirit of continuing that help I've added my link to a UTUBE video I made of my 9er with the mod complete versus the Roadhouse 4" Slip on system I out on about a year after making the stock changes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bblQISOk7r8[/ame]

You can also search UTUBE for "Suzuki M109R Roadhouse 4" Comparison" and it should be the1st to come up.
    Orange 2008 - Chrome wheels, polished rotors, Roadhouse Pipes, Power Commander, Modified Air Intake, Kury Grips, Cobra Shaft Cover, Matazu Bags, Ghost Brackets, Kewl Metal Fork Tubes, Debadged, Debeavered Phase 1, Side Mount Plate, Rifle Soloshield

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaRoller View Post
    I did this first and it wasn't throaty enough for me. It's really, really hard to tell you what to do because what one person thinks is too quiet another person thinks is too loud.

With the 1/2" endplate holes and all three baffle walls bored through it's just about right. You won't get any headaches from it but it sounds really nice IMO. I don't consider my pipes loud now, just a nice throaty/sporty sound is all.

Just drill through one baffle wall at a time and test the sound. Keep going or stop until its the sound you like.
    Thanks for the reply. Was just the 8 holes much louder than stock? Would assume so... Just watched the Utube that corvette posted (thanks for that) and I think the 8 holes + the baffles drilled would be too loud for me. Is there a Utube for just the 8 holes that anyone's run across? Thx!!
    In wine there is wisdom,
    in beer there is freedom,
    in water there is bacteria.
    -Ben Franklin