De-baffle the stock exhaust - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: De-baffle the stock exhaust

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Looks great Nice work

You're gonna find it annoying real quick though, Trust me
    ........The sound is not a deep toned rumble, its more of a twangy ear splitting tone (and loud) but it does amaze me at the number of people who contact me saying they have done or are doing this mod (in one form or another)

BCS

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

It may sound like a debaffled Harley.

Looks great Nice work

You're gonna find it annoying real quick though, Trust me
    Not annoying to me at all (this coming from a guy who ran, for 10 years, open headers to a x-pipe dumped to the sides of camed ls1 camaro). Still to quiet for me. Started cutting more today. 2to1 now with no cat. Just need to have it welded up. And if it's not what I'm looking for I'll add a Spintech resonator to it. Then it will be (flow) almost no different from a $800 exhaust, other than looks. And if I really don't like it I'll just order a HK VPR.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    It may sound like a debaffled Harley.

Harley's are lower frequency, they sound great just do go fast

The Scorpion Tips were just obnoxious loud and in the mid range frequency amplified that. Human ear is automatically tuned to pick up mid range which is our voice and doesn't take long to give you listener fatigue which is after under an hour it just starts to get on your nerves
    Last edited by FlyingCircus; 09-17-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Pootawn View Post
    Not annoying to me at all (this coming from a guy who ran, for 10 years, open headers to a x-pipe dumped to the sides of camed ls1 camaro). Still to quiet for me. Started cutting more today. 2to1 now with no cat. Just need to have it welded up. And if it's not what I'm looking for I'll add a Spintech resonator to it. Then it will be (flow) almost no different from a $800 exhaust, other than looks. And if I really don't like it I'll just order a HK VPR.
    What you had with that car is deep rumble, not twacky mid range. I love the sound of a snotty car engine, not the same

and a big block is lower frequency and just is amazing

Went ahead and just hacked the exhaust off. No way am I paying almost $300 for some side cut scorpion exhaust or the other ridiculous prices for exhaust systems. If anyone wants the measurements for my cuts, just ask and I'll get them.
    Attachment 379602
    Attachment 379604
    Why dont you cut the tips from the stock pipes thst you already cut up to give your pipes a more finished look plus it sorta directs the noise down and away from the riders a bit more then straight pipes.

Also if you want the deepest tone from The stock pipes you need to completely gut both cans so that they act as resonators and by gutting them you leave large pipes that have a much deeper lower tone overall. And if you start having rider fatigue caused by the sound you could very easily make up a nice set of baffles to quiet things down a bit that wouldnt cost you an arm and a leg if you really want to make it work

What you had with that car is deep rumble, not twacky mid range. I love the sound of a snotty car engine, not the same
    LS cars are anything but deep. Takes a cam with a real low lsa to give them that chop sound everyone wants. Mid to low throttle, raspy.

Ran my gsxr600 this way and my cbr600 both my busa's, zx14r. I just like them loud because I'm half deaf.

Has anyone from UK debaffled their stock pipes?

I'd be very grateful for any info about tools.

Been hunting for the right hole saw for weeks now. Sets with extension have arbors wider than 32mm hole saw sitting on it. Those that could do the job no way to find fitting extension....

Help

I have been following this thread and maybe this question was asked but I am going to ask it again if it was. Has anyone seen inside the OEM mufflers and are they packed with fiberglass or any other material or are they just metal inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulevard1974 View Post
    I have been following this thread and maybe this question was asked but I am going to ask it again if it was. Has anyone seen inside the OEM mufflers and are they packed with fiberglass or any other material or are they just metal inside?
    I have no answer to your question, but I dug out this schematic in

my computer. To be honest, I am only 90% sure that it is M109R.

But it might help you....:

M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

There is glass in there. I'll see if I still got a section and I'll cut it in half.
    Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulevard1974 View Post
    I have no answer to your question, but I dug out this schematic in

my computer. To be honest, I am only 90% sure that it is M109R.

But it might help you....:

So my shorty exhaust experiments went south when I realised how bad my cuts and welds were. Sounded how I wanted but looked like hot garbage. Got the Hard Krome Velocity Pro. Looks great and sounds good. Sadly I'm disappointed in build quality. Bigger exhaust leak than my garbage. Issue coming from resonator itself / collector and not from the couplers. Going to pull it off this weekend and see if I can find the exact fault point.

There is glass in there. I'll see if I still got a section and I'll cut it in half.
    Any luck on the inside?