M109 Rider Forums banner

De-baffle the stock exhaust

170K views 318 replies 166 participants last post by  NemoM109R 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I know if you search here you get quite a few results for de-baffling the exhaust. One of which used to have a video that no longer works. I learn by seeing so I though I'd throw up some pictures of what I did so that those of you who may still have questions and want to see it kind of step-by-step can.

This is on an '08 M109R

First off, the tools:
-Drill
-flash light
-1-1/4" hole saw with drill bit guide
-12" extension
-1/2" drill bit

Now set up the drill for, well, drilling:

The hole saw goes into the exhaust like so:

This might get a bit tricky just because the hole saw might spin funny due to the set screw in the extension, to get around this I just put a folded up piece of paper between the hole saw bit and the female end of the extension to tighten it up so there was less awkward spinning going on (does that make sense?).

Moving on, once you get the bit in there you'll hit the first wall. You can push hard when drilling if you want but know that when the guide bit goes through the baffle the hole saw might catch and spin the drill so hold on tight.

The first two baffles come out pretty nicely on the hole saw. I found that if you push lightly and let the saw grind through it, the baffle came out with the hole saw. You'll want to keep the drill spinning slowly on the way out, that way its a bit easier to pull out and you don't lose the baffle and/or bit:

and:

Now that the first baffle in both exhaust pipes is out you can do the same for the second. The second baffle is a bit harder to get to but just keep heading back in there and you'll hit 'em. When the drill spins smoothly that means the guide bit is doing its job.

The second set of baffles unfortunately didn't come out as easily as the first. No biggie though, thats where the extendy magnet thing helps:

The first set of baffles are on the right and the second set on the left:

I tried to get a shot inside the pipe of the finished product but it didn't work too well:

Any who, that is what I did. I didn't bother to drill the 1/2" holes around the outer perimeter of the main exhaust hole. I think I'll ride her like this for a bit and see if I want more out of her.

I didn't notice a big change in the idle sound but definitely did in the sound during acceleration. Instead of hissing it gives of a nice rumble now, then when cruising at speed it is a bit mild which I personally enjoy (I can still hear myself think which is always a plus). Well, :a18: for this mod. Big fan. Hope this helps people or gives people a bit of reference when trying this stuff out.

See less See more
#2 ·
i just did this a few weeks ago and it sounds killer....

way better than stock. i drilled 4 holes around the outside as well and Im happy with it there....

#6 ·
Soooooo Easy

That was so easy and it sounds awesome. Got all 6 plugs out without a problem. It sounded OK after that but the 8 holes in the end wall made it perfect.

#8 · (Edited)
09 M109R LE

Just drilled out the insides. I used a hole saw to cut out the back plate also, used a drimmel tool to cut the extra tube down, I recorded it and took pics, the audio sucks. I'll post them when i figure out how too.I like it, its a little loud but not terrible. Imo these bike need to sound like this, to look like they do and sound like that stock is unjust.

#13 ·
How did the baffle drilling affect performance? I have done the 8x1/2" thing already, but don't want to lose any punch. I bet it sounds way cool.

#14 ·
just for peoples reference

the 09's are different to earlier models

i tried to debaffle and only 1 baffle from each pipe was able to be removed

so i put holes in the end caps

imho sounds ****house @ idle (sounds how it should but i dont like it, but hey its a short stroke twin crankpin twin, so it will never sound like a long stroke single crankpin V twin)

but ride it and its awesome, sounds bloody fantastic!

#16 ·
You shouldn't have messed anything up. Take a nice bright flashlight and shine it down the exhaust and see what's in there. If you made it through the baffles you'll be able to see past them and you should be able to see where they end.

#18 ·
With a little effort it can out perfect, sounds great. three hours later i rode to the gas station and came in contact with another M109 rider, we began to talk an I told him about the mod and cranked it, he was blowed away he said he was going to look in to it so I gave him the website. Just passing the message on to another brother. thanks for a great thread.

#19 ·
I finally drilled out the baffles yesterday. It took longer to get the tools together than it did to complete the job. I think it took less than 15 minutes and all four baffles were out.

For those that are taking a long time to get through the baffles with the hole saw; be sure you are using a bit that is designed for metal. When I bought mine, the hole saw bits were all hanging in the same area and I just grabbed a 1 1/4". As I was standing in the check out line (Black Friday = long line...) I noticed that the bit was only for wood. I had to go back to get the right bit and ended up at the end of that long line again.

I actually like the look of the stock exhaust and the tone is now better than it was before the mod. I may still end up with some HC Sideburners, but this will keep me happy for a while. :bigthumbsup:

Smitty

#20 ·
Very nicely laid out...great photos...

I have one question, though...can you guys describe to me as best as possible how this sounds when you are done?

The reason I ask is, I don't want my bike sounding like a Milwaukee Paint Shaker (HD) and then when I open the throttle, sounding so loud it wakes the entire neighborhood up.

I wouldn't mind it sounding throatier, but want to avoid it sounding like a really loud and obnoxious HD.

Thanks

Chip

#21 ·
Very nicely laid out...great photos...

I have one question, though...can you guys describe to me as best as possible how this sounds when you are done?

The reason I ask is, I don't want my bike sounding like a Milwaukee Paint Shaker (HD) and then when I open the throttle, sounding so loud it wakes the entire neighborhood up.

I wouldn't mind it sounding throatier, but want to avoid it sounding like a really loud and obnoxious HD.

Thanks

Chip
I didn't drill the eight 1/2" holes in the end plate, but did remove the baffles. It's a little louder than stock, but not by much. After riding it today, I would bet that it would still be within the noise standards...

Smitty

#22 ·
Thanks for the awesome pics Dewman, and taking the time to share this. I had found a website which had Roadburner Street Pros for $202.00 sale price. Ordered them on Thanksgiving, waiting to see if they have them in stock,etc...price was fantastic. If this does not work out I definitely will try out the mod....you make it look easy!

#23 ·
Done this mod today. Sounds a little better i'm thinking about doing the 8 1/2 in the end cab. somone said they took out the end cab. Does any one have a picture of this. Also i got the 1st baffle out of each exahust the 2nd one fell in there somewhere and can't find it. or reach it with me long magnet. but i dont hear them rattling so hopefully they stay that way.....

#24 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought my m109r last night (2007 w/1200 miles on it). I already love it already, and want to give it the sound it deserves. I've looked at the post and still have two questions, it would be great to get some help.

1. After debaffling, was there any lost power or performance differences at all?

2. I am still not completely clear on the 8 1/2 holes. Am I over thinking it? Should I just drill 8 1/2 holes evenly spaced through the first metal wall?

Thanks,
Michael

#25 ·
1) you wont notice any power or performance differences. your fuel mileage may go down but thats just because you will be twisting the throttle more.
2) the 8 holes should be evenly spaced and 1/2 inch in diameter. you can do them smaller if you want.
you will probably want to get some high heat spray paint (black) to prevent rust after you drill the 8 holes. you wont be disappointed with the sound. its not too loud but just loud enough to hear it!!
and yes. you are overthinking it!!

#27 · (Edited)
Ok, thought I would do this to help everyone out, not sure if it does or not.

First, how my bike sounds stock.

Next, this is with both baffles out of both pipes, and no 1/2 holes yet.

This one is with 2 of the 1/2 inch holes.

I liked the sound, but wanted more umph. I drilled two 1/2" holes. I will record tonight and get it up as well.

However, my next move is to go to 4 holes. When I do this, I will record and put up as well.

Thanks,
Michael

Also, as to my experience... It also took me longer to get the correct tools than to do the job. If you take it slow when removing the hole cutter you should be able to get all of the baffles out. I had to use the magnet on both pipes for the second baffle, but they were very easy to get.

Drilling the 1/2 holes was a bit different. Each hole take a bit longer than you would imagine, and you have to be patient and just take your time. I think I will use a center punch next time to help keep a better position on where I am drilling.

#59 ·
Ok, thought I would do this to help everyone out, not sure if it does or not.

First, how my bike sounds stock.

This one is with 2 of the 1/2 inch holes.

I liked the sound, but wanted more umph. I drilled two 1/2" holes. I will record tonight and get it up as well.

However, my next move is to go to 4 holes. When I do this, I will record and put up as well.

Thanks,
Michael

Also, as to my experience... It also took me longer to get the correct tools than to do the job. If you take it slow when removing the hole cutter you should be able to get all of the baffles out. I had to use the magnet on both pipes for the second baffle, but they were very easy to get.

Drilling the 1/2 holes was a bit different. Each hole take a bit longer than you would imagine, and you have to be patient and just take your time. I think I will use a center punch next time to help keep a better position on where I am drilling.
Good thread. I've already done the mod and loved it. For those that are contemplating this mod this thread will be very helpful. The video's in each step with the sound recordings are great also. I the spirit of continuing that help I've added my link to a UTUBE video I made of my 9er with the mod complete versus the Roadhouse 4" Slip on system I out on about a year after making the stock changes.

You can also search UTUBE for "Suzuki M109R Roadhouse 4" Comparison" and it should be the1st to come up.

#28 ·
OK,
I finally got around to drilling out the baffles. The photos, and directions were great. My only question is, what should I see now when I look inside of the pipe? It almost looks like there is another set of baffles. I took 2 out of each pipe, like in the photos, but I still see something:dontknow:.

#29 ·
Just got off the phone with some local experts and found out that there is a slight difference in the 06 and some 07 exhaust. The first 2 baffles can be reached with a 12" extension, but there is one more a little futher in. It "can not" be reached with a 12" extension, and will need at least 18" to get to it. Once it warms up, I will see how it sounds with the inner baffle still in place. If it is not to my liking, I will give it a try with a longer extension:bigthumbsup:.

#35 ·
Just got off the phone with some local experts and found out that there is a slight difference in the 06 and some 07 exhaust. The first 2 baffles can be reached with a 12" extension, but there is one more a little futher in. It "can not" be reached with a 12" extension, and will need at least 18" to get to it. Once it warms up, I will see how it sounds with the inner baffle still in place. If it is not to my liking, I will give it a try with a longer extension:bigthumbsup:.
I've looked everywhere for a 18" extension and can't find one. Is it safe to hook a 12" and a 6" extension together?

Anyone close to Music City already have the tools and be willing to help a 9r out?

#30 ·
excellent write up and great pictures.

I plan on doing this as well and posting results of the following sounds all in one video:

Stock
1 baffle removed from each pipe
2 baffles removed from each pipe
4 holes drilled with both baffles removed from each pipe
8 holes drilled with both baffles removed from each pipe

I think this would give a comprehensive review of what the difference is in sound between each change. And to ensure that all other variables remain the same, the camera should not be moved from its position relative to the bike, as well as changing the RPMs from idle to 3k......

Should be interesting.....

#31 · (Edited)
excellent write up and great pictures.

And to ensure that all other variables remain the same, the camera should not be moved from its position relative to the bike, as well as changing the RPMs from idle to 3k......

Should be interesting.....
Thought I was doing about the same in my video's :).

*I do with I would have done some slower rev's as well, and slow rev to about 3k and hold for about 5 seconds.

Michael

#33 ·
I had posted this in the other thread but I will post it here too. It might help someone to see just what they are drilling through.

Some have comented on the tone getting much deeper once the third baffle is cut out. Here are some pictures out of a 2006 that may explain why.

1st baffle shown(with eight hole mod but no center hole cutt out) from the inside looking past the 2nd baffle(or middle one)

2nd or middle baffle (not much there)

Here is where most of the work is done 3rd baffle (closest to the engine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.