Another Clutch Question- Kind of

Thread: Another Clutch Question- Kind of

Very Active Member
    Richmond, Virginia by way of New Orleans La.

Default Another Clutch Question- Kind of

Just had my bike serviced (26400 miles). I have noticed a kind of rattle near my clutch basket, dealer told me I may need to replace my clutch plates and add heavier duty springs because I pull a trailer. All this, to the tune of $4-$500.00. My question is, am I being taken as far as the repair price is concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Discount View Post
    Just had my bike serviced (26400 miles). I have noticed a kind of rattle near my clutch basket, dealer told me I may need to replace my clutch plates and add heavier duty springs because I pull a trailer. All this, to the tune of $4-$500.00. My question is, am I being taken as far as the repair price is concerned?

How much does your trailer weigh when you are towing it? Also, a clutch at that mileage isn't unrealistic. As far as price goes, that isn't bad.
    3 horses in the stable. 1 horse for each motorcycle mood. Mood 1 - Straight line speed fetish. Mood 2 - Curvy line speed fetish. Mood 3 - Go beat up on Harleys fetish.

Default Rattle?

Does the rattle go away when you pull in the clutch? I'm just thinking it's the common (to this bike) clutch hub damper springs rattling. A new set of clutch plates and heavier springs won't do anything for this rattle.
    If this is the case, and your clutch is working fine otherwise, just ride it, or you could try the Bluey fix, or ask about a new clutch hub as well.
    Might be better left for a winter project.
    A man has got to know his limitations... Harry Callahan

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR1000DUDE View Post
    Does the rattle go away when you pull in the clutch? I'm just thinking it's the common (to this bike) clutch hub damper springs rattling. A new set of clutch plates and heavier springs won't do anything for this rattle.
    If this is the case, and your clutch is working fine otherwise, just ride it, or you could try the Bluey fix, or ask about a new clutch hub as well.
    Might be better left for a winter project.
    thanks guys. yes the rattle does go away when I pull the clutch in and it is workin fine otherwise, no slipping or anything, just the annoying rattle. And the price I was quoted included parts and labor.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romiezeus View Post
    How much does your trailer weigh when you are towing it? Also, a clutch at that mileage isn't unrealistic. As far as price goes, that isn't bad.
    Trailer weighs 150 empty, I guess about 180-200 loaded, give or take a few pounds. Thanks for the input.

1. Good Price.
    2. Sounds like the clutch rattle pretty much all of us have.
    3. That trailer doesn't weigh any more than most passengers, so shouldn't cause any added wear. It would take two rather large folks on board to require a heavier clutch and springs.

Zoom it he's ride solo and only has the trailer, he's fine. Just drive Bro Unless you want a winter project, and there is a how to on the forum where you maybe able to do it yourself. So long as there's no, special suzuki tools required
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    Zoom it he's ride solo and only has the trailer, he's fine. Just drive Bro Unless you want a winter project, and there is a how to on the forum where you maybe able to do it yourself. So long as there's no, special suzuki tools required:-
    Thanks, I have already begun the project, wish me luck.