M109 Rider Forums banner

air mods and rain

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  V42A9 
#1 ·
I have a question about air intake mods and the rain. I get caught in the rain from time to time and have been thinking about an air mod for 2 reasons:
1. easier to remove and clean
2. bike breathes better.
I have seen some of the mods with the filter uncovered and leading directly into the throttle body. I drive 80 miles to work one way and, again, I do get caught in the rain. Are there any worries the water may enter the throttle body and subsequently into the cylinders? Are there any mods that make cleaning and replacement easier than the OEM that will not allow the rain into the cylinders? I don't chase the rain, but sometimes the day starts out sunny only to end wet.:dontknow:

#2 ·
no problems. I ran the Tornado's for a long time and never had any water ingested, the air box itself is way up under the tank and higher than the side mounted filters. now I am running boxless with two big K & N's right off the TB's, works really well and protected from the elements completely. :bigthumbsup:

#6 ·
These are both homemade setups that utilize the back of the stock airbox. I have ridden 120 miles on the interstate with the Holleys in heavy ran. The other conical style filter I have gotten into several down pours and so far she's still running. I checked them both when I got in and they were dry on the inside.The paper filters were pretty wet on the holley setups. The conicals are treated with oil and the water kinda beads up on the outside.

The big air kit will take all worries away and I may be going that way here soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.