Fi2000 settings--please share - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fi2000 settings--please share

Default Pulling the Cobra

Hi

A follow-up to my replacement of the Cobra Dragsters with the stock pipes - I have now set the FI 2000 to 0-0-0 and the bike runs the best it ever has

The mods on the bike are now:
    • K&N air filters
    • TDE gear posi emulator
    • Factory Pro gear shift star
    • EXCVA disconnected

The bike always ran too rich with the previous set-up - now the backfiring and popping has gone, smell of gas in the exhaust almost eliminated and its less twitchy on the throttle at low speed - so its not all bad!

The next step is to pull the FI2000 completely and save the weight - and the space in the battery compartment!

I wish I had done all of this a bit earlier - its now a much nicer drive

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default The settings break down

ADVANCED TUNINGYour Cobra Fi2000 fuel injection module has been tested and preset for best function and rideabiltyon a stock motorcycle with a Cobra exhaust.
    The Fi2000 does however, have 3 important adjustments that allow you to tune the module for optimum performance,
    especially if you have performed other changes to your motorcycle. These adjustments also allow you to resolve drivability issues if our stock settings are

not exactly right for your bike. Make sure your motorcycle is up to normal operating temperature
    (15minutes of riding should be sufficient) before making any adjustments. Remove the cover to expose the

pots shown in figure 2.

GREEN LED POT (left pot)

-this adjustment affects idle and cruise fuel. If you have cruising issues, this

is where you would try a different setting. Generally, surging and uneven running while cruising is a lean
    fuel condition, so try adding a small increase in fuel by turning the adjustment clockwisewith a small flat

blade screwdriver a 1/2 position. Test drive the bike to feel an improvement and only increase the setting

until the surge goes away.
    Also, backfiring or popping on trailing throttle is generally a lean symptom (or an exhaust gasket leak). Try

the same small increases as above just until the backfiring goes away.

YELLOW LED POT (middle pot)

-this adjustment affects acceleration and power fuel. If you have a

hesitation or bogging on acceleration, this is where you would try a different setting. Aftermarket air
    cleaner assemblies generally lean out fuel mixtures, so try small clockwise increases as above until a

smooth acceleration returns.
    RED LED POT (right pot)
    -this pot controls the top end (power) fuel. On most bikes the factory gets the top end fuel right, as emissions testing is not done there and

most exhausts by themselves won't dramatically change that requirement. Hi-Flow air cleaner assemblies, especially those that remove a lot

of restriction, can significantly alter the high R.P.M. demand for fuel. This is where you would use the red

led pot. Starting at the 3 position, to be safe, test ride the motorcycle up to redline and adjust the pot until
    you feel the best performance

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBman View Post
    ADVANCED TUNINGYour Cobra Fi2000 fuel injection module has been tested and preset for best function and rideabiltyon a stock motorcycle with a Cobra exhaust.
    The Fi2000 does however, have 3 important adjustments that allow you to tune the module for optimum performance,
    especially if you have performed other changes to your motorcycle. These adjustments also allow you to resolve drivability issues if our stock settings are

not exactly right for your bike. Make sure your motorcycle is up to normal operating temperature
    (15minutes of riding should be sufficient) before making any adjustments. Remove the cover to expose the

pots shown in figure 2.

GREEN LED POT (left pot)

-this adjustment affects idle and cruise fuel. If you have cruising issues, this

is where you would try a different setting. Generally, surging and uneven running while cruising is a lean
    fuel condition, so try adding a small increase in fuel by turning the adjustment clockwisewith a small flat

blade screwdriver a 1/2 position. Test drive the bike to feel an improvement and only increase the setting

until the surge goes away.
    Also, backfiring or popping on trailing throttle is generally a lean symptom (or an exhaust gasket leak). Try

the same small increases as above just until the backfiring goes away.

YELLOW LED POT (middle pot)

-this adjustment affects acceleration and power fuel. If you have a

hesitation or bogging on acceleration, this is where you would try a different setting. Aftermarket air
    cleaner assemblies generally lean out fuel mixtures, so try small clockwise increases as above until a

smooth acceleration returns.
    RED LED POT (right pot)
    -this pot controls the top end (power) fuel. On most bikes the factory gets the top end fuel right, as emissions testing is not done there and

most exhausts by themselves won't dramatically change that requirement. Hi-Flow air cleaner assemblies, especially those that remove a lot

of restriction, can significantly alter the high R.P.M. demand for fuel. This is where you would use the red

led pot. Starting at the 3 position, to be safe, test ride the motorcycle up to redline and adjust the pot until
    you feel the best performance
    Thank you for this it has been a great help to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I know this is a very old thread , but I want to put my grain of salt ... I installed the Fi2000r a few months ago and I set it at 1-4-2 ... The bike (a 2013 with Hypercharger intakes and Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust plus X-TRE) has been running great , but I always felt that accelerating in 4th or 5th or even in 3rd gear was missing some power ... I cut feel the bike jumping ahead strongly , but still , there was something amiss , like it was too lean and was needing a bit more of fuel ... and then , today it occurred to me to increase the 3rd pot 1 point from 2 to 3 , so I did rotate it 1 point up with a small flat screwdriver, left the #1 and #2 pots untouched as they have been from when I first installed the Cobra fuel controller and I went for a ride to try it .
    Man , what a difference ... the bike now accelerates like a Supersport bike , totally exhilarating !!! 2nd gear , 3rd gear , 4th gear , 5th gear ... it accelerates instantly and fluidly strong to no end , like powered by 110 octane gas ... no more piston noise , it is just going and going and going ... pure power ... Wow !!!
    This thing is now so powerful that it is scary , lol...
    and all of that just by increasing one point on the #3 pot .
    The bike is now set at 1-4-3 on the fuel controller .
    And to think that I waited a few months to do that ... ah well !!!!
    Last edited by josey88; 01-09-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Well...my turn....I have the V&H's Big Shots, and the Baron Big Air Kit....I read this whole thread before I did the install and replaced the exhaust gaskets to be safe...well started her up and had an FI code...so back to reading and discovered the rear cylinder plug as not properly seated....so all back together and had the FI2000 set at factory of 1-3-2...and it was terrible...surging at 2000 to 3000...crappy. I am in Ontario and I believe that I am at sea level...so I re-read this thread and adjusted the FI2000 to 2-4-3...it ran better but the surging at low rpm was still there and some weak back firing....so I re-read thread again!!!! Then read Cobra's instructions...and decided on setting the FI2000 to 3-4-3....and WOW!!!! What a difference....surging almost l gone...smooth acceleration in high gear and she pulls like the head of a comet!!! Just one small backfire...if it is back firing as they maybe decal pops as they only happen in deceleration from high gear roll ons... I figure I will pump the first pot to 3.5 and see how that works out....so will and up at 3.5-4-3....it's been 16C here today so it's been cool...may have to factor that...

What you guys think?
    Last edited by Marco11964; 05-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Sorry...won't let me edit my last post....I also have the X-TRE but have yet to install it....it shouldn't affect the FI2000 settings as it's timing and the Cobra is fuel management...or am I missing something?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marco11964 View Post
    Sorry...won't let me edit my last post....I also have the X-TRE but have yet to install it....it shouldn't affect the FI2000 settings as it's timing and the Cobra is fuel management...or am I missing something?
    Why don`t you try lowering your first pot ? 3.5 must be causing your idling to be high ...
    Mine I have it at 1-4-3 and it is perfect , with idling between 800 and 1000 rpms . It is perfect , at least for my bike .

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Why don`t you try lowering your first pot ? 3.5 must be causing your idling to be high ...
    Mine I have it at 1-4-3 and it is perfect , with idling between 800 and 1000 rpms . It is perfect , at least for my bike .
    Well if I lower my first pot it surges like crazy....like she is starving for fuel...also my idle is perfect...it never varied at all...1 is way lean on the bike, for me anyway. When it was stock and cold it would surge between 1st and 2nd around the 2000 to 3000 rpm range...when I added the exhaust and intake it made the surge more apparent. So I increased my 1st pot to 2 and it was better...just when I went to 3 did I actually feel the surge leave and the bike run better...
    Last edited by Marco11964; 05-16-2017 at 09:22 PM.

So...final settings after weekend of riding....hopefully this helps others out. I cannot for the life of me understand how everyone is running there bikes at factory settings or slightly above...I read lots of posts were there settings are at 2-3-2...then it dawned on me...I keep forgetting about ...elevation. Toronto is at sea level....so the average setting that are in this tread are way to lean...anyway I had my pots set at 3.5-4-3 and I figured I was set...well out this past weekend for a long ride and on decel I was popping a bit still....so I figured I was still to lean....so I set my pots to 4-5-3...checked for exhaust leaks and all the decel pop is gone...the response​ is great now...even better than before. I must have been close with the previous settings but now she runs great through the whole rev range...may still jack the last pop up to 4...but will see how she is for a while before I do that.

So hopes this helps others out....if your at sea level...do intake and exhaust...my settings ended up being 4-5-3...
    Last edited by Marco11964; 05-16-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Very Active Member

So...final settings after weekend of riding....hopefully this helps others out. I cannot for the life of me understand how everyone is running there bikes at factory settings or slightly above...I read lots of posts were there settings are at 2-3-2...then it dawned on me...I keep forgetting about ...elevation. Toronto is at sea level....so the average setting that are in this tread are way to lean...anyway I had my pots set at 3.5-4-3 and I figured I was set...well out this past weekend for a long ride and on decel I was popping a bit still....so I figured I was still to lean....so I set my pots to 4-5-3...checked for exhaust leaks and all the decel pop is gone...the response​ is great now...even better than before. I must have been close with the previous settings but now she runs great through the whole rev range...may still jack the last pop up to 4...but will see how she is for a while before I do that.

So hopes this helps others out....if your at sea level...do intake and exhaust...my settings ended up being 4-5-3...
    I am in Florida which is sea level and perhaps lower than that , lol ... and my settings are as I stated previously , 1-4-3 .
    If I turn the first pot to the 4 setting I would have an idling of 3000 rpm or likely even higher than that .
    Have you checked your fuel filter and your plugs ? I still think that a #4 setting on the first pot is really high ... it is a suggestion , anyway .
    And you should have no popping at all with a Cobra fuel manager.
    I also have an X-TRE
    Last edited by josey88; 05-17-2017 at 01:47 PM.

I am in Florida which is sea level and perhaps lower than that , lol ... and my settings are as I stated previously , 1-4-3 .
    If I turn the first pot to the 4 setting I would have an idling of 3000 rpm or likely even higher than that .
    Have you checked your fuel filter and your plugs ? I still think that a #4 setting on the first pot is really high ... it is a suggestion , anyway .
    And you should have no popping at all with a Cobra fuel manager.
    I also have an X-TRE
    Well I checked for leaks on the exhaust and have none....tight as a drum. Are you running open intakes as well? I have the Barons Big Air kit with the V&H's Big Shots...which lets in allot more cold air that the stock boxes did. When I was at 3.5 my bike was still having decel pops and a slight sputteing between 2-3K...now at 4 they are gone...idle is at 750-1000....she pulls hard in every gear and there isnt that much of a black soot on the exhaust tip ends....on the inside I mean....and she sounds and runs like she is balanced...no fuel smell, no black exhaust....no extreame heat off the engine when I stop...

Fuel filter is clean as the bike is new, 2400 KMS only...haven't pulled the plugs yet but will too verify.

Why do you state that I should have no poping with the Cobra fuel manager....if its not set right to the bikes setup it will pop as it can only add fuel and it must be set to add enough to the bikes particular setup. I also believe that allot of people stop once they get the bike ridable and live with the decel pops...

I think that the pots settings overlap each other...as the more I read they compare them to the low speed idle screw (green pot), needle (yellow pot) and main jet (red pot)... and all these work together and overlap....so having the second pot conciderably higher than the first maybe adding more fuel to compensate for a leaner idle screw (green pot), and the rider doesnt notice the low rpm lean condition...and I think that Suzuki got the fuel mapping on the high end correct...hence the lower red pot setting by all.

I was thinking that I would of had higher setting then most as when I built my Honda Spirit years ago and was on that forum, everyone there was posting needle and jet sizes that would make my bike run so lean it would sputter....when I posted pics of my plugs and setting people couldn't believe my settings so eventually with other fellow locals it was believed it must be the elevation...or air density?

Well let me see how she runs for a few days now....besides I can always make her leaner...and I would much rather be running slightly rich than lean...as slightly rich won't damage my bike short of fouling the plugs....running lean for too long is not a good thing.

Thanks for the thoughts though Josey88....good food for thought...
    Last edited by Marco11964; 05-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Very Active Member

I know this is an old thread, I just put the Fi2000r on my bike a week ago, along with Cobra swept pipes with the baffles intact. When I first got it all together it ran perfect, but after a bit the performance declined a bit. I just upped my low setting from 1 to just barely over 1, hard to tell as there are no marks inbetween the even numbers, if I had to guess it is on 1.25 for low and factory setting for mid and high. The small end of the processor is pointed down and the low end setting will be on the right side high setting on the left.

HTH
    Marty

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    I know this is an old thread, I just put the Fi2000r on my bike a week ago, along with Cobra swept pipes with the baffles intact. When I first got it all together it ran perfect, but after a bit the performance declined a bit. I just upped my low setting from 1 to just barely over 1, hard to tell as there are no marks inbetween the even numbers, if I had to guess it is on 1.25 for low and factory setting for mid and high. The small end of the processor is pointed down and the low end setting will be on the right side high setting on the left.

HTH
    Marty
    There are 3 adjustable pots .
    The first pot (green light) is on the left and it works only mostly as an idle of sorts .
    Second pot works for medium speed and normal acceleration .
    The third pot is on the right side and it works for high power and high speed acceleration .
    My setting are : 1-4-3 and the bike is a missile .

Very Active Member

There are 3 adjustable pots .
    The first pot (green light) is on the left and it works only mostly as an idle of sorts .
    Second pot works for medium speed and normal acceleration .
    The third pot is on the right side and it works for high power and high speed acceleration .
    My setting are : 1-4-3 and the bike is a missile .
    Josey, you are looking at it opposite from how I held it to adjust mine. Also the dials are upside down if you hold it as you are stating. I determined which way to hold it as the factory settings make the 1 setting on the right, which puts the high end setting on the left side holding it with the small end down. I don't know if they changed the position of the pots from one model to the next. Mine is the Fi2000R witch I believe superseded the Fi2000 model without the R ending. I just bought mine and installed it. So I am assuming it is the current model.

When I changed the #1 pot the idle went up very slightly to 1000 rpm. From around 900. It was missing slightly, I first tried the 2 setting but it started gurgling like too much fuel, so I turned it down until the idle smoothed out but the gurgling stopped, at the 1.25 position it maintained the 100 rpm increase. I haven't messed with the other two settings yet, but I think I will have to do some tweaking as the performance is not what it was when I was stock pipes. Also I am still running stock air intake. I also installed the XTRE. And the servo eliminator.

Oh yeah and I just installed brand new Iridium plugs at the same time as everything else.

It would be nice if they made the dials bigger so you can adjust more precisely. I can't imagine anyone needing the highest settings the dials offer. Maybe a different bike?

Thanks!
    Marty
    Last edited by sssportsmfg; 09-01-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Very Active Member

Josey, you are looking at it opposite from how I held it to adjust mine. Also the dials are upside down if you hold it as you are stating. I determined which way to hold it as the factory settings make the 1 setting on the right, which puts the high end setting on the left side holding it with the small end down. I don't know if they changed the position of the pots from one model to the next. Mine is the Fi2000R witch I believe superseded the Fi2000 model without the R ending. I just bought mine and installed it. So I am assuming it is the current model.

When I changed the #1 pot the idle went up very slightly to 1000 rpm. From around 900. It was missing slightly, I first tried the 2 setting but it started gurgling like too much fuel, so I turned it down until the idle smoothed out but the gurgling stopped, at the 1.25 position it maintained the 100 rpm increase. I haven't messed with the other two settings yet, but I think I will have to do some tweaking as the performance is not what it was when I was stock pipes. Also I am still running stock air intake. I also installed the XTRE. And the servo eliminator.

It would be nice if they made the dials bigger so you can adjust more precisely. I can't imagine anyone needing the highest settings the dials offer. Maybe a different bike?

Thanks!
    Marty
    Marty , frankly , I have no idea what you are talking about ...
    On the FI2000R , the small cover , the one that hide the pots , is on the bottom . You flip out that cap and the 3 pots can be seen .
    1st pot is on the left (green light ) . That will work for idle
    2nd pot on the middle(yellow light) works for acceleration and normal speed .
    3rd pot on the right(red light) is for maximum power .
    Once the engine starts , both yellow and red lights are suppose to turn off , leaving only the green light(1st pot) on .
    The Cobra comes from factory with 1-3-2 default settings . I increased mine to 1-4-3 and it works beautifully .
    Remember : you need a fuel management if you are using both performance air intake and exhaust . If you have only one of those , the Cobra is not necessary and may explain the performance lost because of too rich on fuel . .
    Here is a pic :
    Last edited by josey88; 09-01-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Very Active Member

I know this is a very old thread , but I want to put my grain of salt ... I installed the Fi2000r a few months ago and I set it at 1-4-2 ... The bike (a 2013 with Hypercharger intakes and Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust plus X-TRE) has been running great , but I always felt that accelerating in 4th or 5th or even in 3rd gear was missing some power ... I cut feel the bike jumping ahead strongly , but still , there was something amiss , like it was too lean and was needing a bit more of fuel ... and then , today it occurred to me to increase the 3rd pot 1 point from 2 to 3 , so I did rotate it 1 point up with a small flat screwdriver, left the #1 and #2 pots untouched as they have been from when I first installed the Cobra fuel controller and I went for a ride to try it .
    Man , what a difference ... the bike now accelerates like a Supersport bike , totally exhilarating !!! 2nd gear , 3rd gear , 4th gear , 5th gear ... it accelerates instantly and fluidly strong to no end , like powered by 110 octane gas ... no more piston noise , it is just going and going and going ... pure power ... Wow !!!
    This thing is now so powerful that it is scary , lol...
    and all of that just by increasing one point on the #3 pot .
    The bike is now set at 1-4-3 on the fuel controller .
    And to think that I waited a few months to do that ... ah well !!!!
    Josey.....that is EXACTLY what I experienced when I put this on and the Cobra Swepts. The hang on for dear life just went away, I have per your post upped the middle and high end pots to your settings and because of my dicey idle kept it at 1.25, it is just BARELY over the one mark. I haven't been out yet to test the new settings. Hope mine juices up like yours did lol !! We are on the same page, just holding the processor in reverse direction. And yes all three light up when you start the bike and the yellow and red turn off and the green stays on.

Marty
    Last edited by sssportsmfg; 09-01-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Very Active Member

About the idle ... in my bike , the idle goes from 800 to 1000 rpms , but mostly stays on 800 rpms and some times goes up to 1000 rpms , then lowers to 800 again .
    I believe this is normal on the 109r .

Very Active Member

About the idle ... in my bike , the idle goes from 800 to 1000 rpms , but mostly stays on 800 rpms and some times goes up to 1000 rpms , then lowers to 800 again .
    I believe this is normal on the 109r .
    Mine did too, but settled at 950-1000 when I upped the 1 pot just a hair and stays steady there.

Very Active Member

Mine did too, but settled at 950-1000 when I upped the 1 pot just a hair and stays steady there.
    Well, just lower that hair back down until you hit it right at between 800 and 1000 rpms .

Very Active Member

Well, just lower that hair back down until you hit it right at between 800 and 1000 rpms .
    Why? The reason I changed it is it would run steady....then bloop, bloop then run steady..bloop bloop then steady, when I upped my #1 pot to 1.25 it settled down and runs steady as a rock. Is there some reason you are suggesting that I turn it back?

Marty

Very Active Member

Why? The reason I changed it is it would run steady....then bloop, bloop then run steady..bloop bloop then steady, when I upped my #1 pot to 1.25 it settled down and runs steady as a rock. Is there some reason you are suggesting that I turn it back?

Marty
    Well, I suggested to turn it down to the regular 800 to 1000 rpms assuming it would run just as well and steady .
    My bike runs exactly the same and as steady and smooth on 800 to 1000 as on 1000rpms . Only difference is it idles faster on 1000 , but perfectly smooth .
    But , all bikes are not the same . Elevation , gas quality , filtering , air intakes , etc etc ...
    If you notice that your bike works better at 1000 rpms , by all means , leave it there . After all , it is not much of a difference in idling anyway .

Necromancing this thread. :)

I can confirm the Cobra FI2000R works on a 2019 model. Cobra Powerflo intakes, Velocity Pro exhaust. A couple weeks of tweaking.. performance good in all ranges and no backfiring finally.. 1.5 - 3.5 - 2.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	388054