Fi2000 settings--please share - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fi2000 settings--please share

vapiper

Cobra swept/stock air

Currently at preset 1-3-2
    Going to bump it to 2-3-2 and see what that does....have only had this setup on for two days and havn't really had a chance to put her through the paces..so far runs excelent...have had a slight pop once, or twice on decelleration....but it would do that in the stock form once in a while as well......

the "manual" says to adjust each "pot" individually and instructions on what to look for on each...so...will just have to play with it and I'll repost my final settings when I can.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have mine currently at 2-3-2 and its still a pita to roll on the throttle easily it did seem to get rid of the intake fires, but still have lots of decel pop..

i still need to block the pair valves and remove the s.e.t vlave cables, and install my K&N's.

Stock shorties and "duck" style mod..

Quote Originally Posted by bullrider View Post
    thick shmoopucky(technical term for gunk)

vapiper

At 2-3-2 now, dosn't decell pop as much as it did, but still a little there....

I guess I need to go up a little higher? on the first pot

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

Quote Originally Posted by vapiper View Post

I have never had decell popping so I am not an expert on your situation,however if your running Cobra Swepts with stock air intake or even K&N's thru the stock boxes,I cannot see how you would need it more then 1 to 1.5 on the first pot and any more then 2 would seem too rich...but try it and see...you can always turn it back. I was under the impression decell popping was from too much air entering the combustion chamber when the fuel flow is shut down. I might go up one more on the 3rd pot overall adjustment and back the first pot down to 2 or even 1 if it doesn't work out your way.

Quote Originally Posted by vapiper View Post

As Gramps said, the fuel adjustment won't stop the popping. It may even make it worse if you add more fuel as the popping is caused when unburnt fuel ignites in the exhaust.

Two things cause it and can be fixed.

One is the PAIR valves, which admits air into the exhaust under deceleration. Block them and that usually stops the popping.

The other is an exhaust leak. Any leak that can let air in can cause decel popping. The most common place for a leak is the connection to the heads.

vapiper

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    As Gramps said, the fuel adjustment won't stop the popping. It may even make it worse if you add more fuel as the popping is caused when unburnt fuel ignites in the exhaust.

Two things cause it and can be fixed.

One is the PAIR valves, which admits air into the exhaust under deceleration. Block them and that usually stops the popping.

The other is an exhaust leak. Any leak that can let air in can cause decel popping. The most common place for a leak is the connection to the heads.
    thanks gang...will try that out and see what happens....it's not doing it enough to be a major concern...but if I can eliminate it, it would be nice I'm sure just some minor tinkering and all will be good....

read alot of different settings trying to decide which one is the best, im running shortenend gutted exhaust, gutted cat, big air kits and a tre, my settings are 1-4-2 which is the way it was set before i chopped exhaust and added air kits, seems to run rich but is jerky on the take off, which way should i go to try and smooth it out some??
    Robert Booty

"I WOULD RATHER BE AN OPEN SINNER THAN A FALSE SAINT"

vapiper

at 1-2.5-2....seems the more I bump up any, the more backfiring I get....so..this is about right....I'll do the TRE when I get back from bike week as most of it seems to happen during the hesisatation that occurs in 1,2,3rd.....

ok I guess it's time I said my peice cuz I've been havin issues too. I do think 109's have condensation issues in the tank ( I live in VT) cuz I have to use dry gas to keep it from stalling at a stop sign in spring and fall, a tiny bit of dry gas fixes that problem instantly. Then I went with Cobra swept exhaust, K&N filters and a pc3. In hot weather I had sporadic issues, poor acceleration when wringin it and sometimes after it was running ok I'd park it for a bit, then when I got back on it would start right up but didn't want to move, a scooter could out run it! After 2 pc3's I had an fi2000 put on, then in hot weather it wouldn't rev up over 2 grand but wouldn't stall either...I think my biggest problem may have been that my mechanics were puttin these fuel controllers on with the factory settings (1-2.5-1.5 was where mine was at out of the box for the fi2000) and calling it good enough. After readin what some people here had to say I took matters into my own hands and put the thing at 2-3-2 based on what someone else said here who had the same exhaust/filter set up. Tell ya what I had to change my shorts after wringin out fourth gear with that setting! I think I'll still try to find a shop with a dyno tho....and I have been smellin gas when I come to a stop always since the pipes got put on....also gotta see what happens on a hot day cuz I can't remember the last time I heard my fan runnin....can anyone tell me how to check that out myself? Thanks for listenin, Charley

bumping to the top for new people.

Cobra Dragsters with quiet baffles,K&N's in stock air boxes

Elev about 600 ft ASL

1-3-2 and running good

Dave

bump the last 2 pods up .5 or 1 i bet it runs better.

i finally got mine set.i'm running 2.5,3,3 and it purrs like a kitten. for anyone having popping or rough running off of idle check your wiring. check the ground wire at the crimp on the ring connector (mine wasn't crimped good). also pop the cover off and check the plug where wires come into the unit. it is hot glued from factory but i had mine pull apart twice causing bike to run like crap! decel pop, hesitation,stuttering etc.

Default Just getting mine

I just ordered mine and I currently have.
    Holley Air and the standard factory pipes that have been drilled...
    Like to know if any one has that setup if so what you have your Fi2000r set to...

Sideburner 2 into 1 exhaust
    K&N filters
    TRE
    My cobra is set to 2-3-2 and runs great

Sideburner Exhaust, Lowered 2", K&N Filters, TRE, Power Commander, Raw Rear Turn Signals, Raw Side Mount Licence Plate, Low & Mean Chin, Irate Mess Grill with matching chin mess. CM Legacy rims 280 on the rear and 160 up front, More to come!!!!

I'm at about 2300 ft here in Idaho, I've got Xtreme Revolution Ultra Flow air cleaners and Cobra Dragsters. I'm getting a lot of missing and surging around 3200 - 3900 rpm. Anyone else have a similar setup and an idea of what settings I should be going with?

what are your settings now? default??

I'm at about a 1-2-1 right now. I don't like the way its running at all

UPDATE - just checked the plugs and I definitely need more fuel, I just don't know which pot to tune the 3-4K RPM range

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

The first pot controls the idle to lower rpm range and light throttle loads,the second pot acts like an accelerator pump for medium to full throttle ,and the third pot is like a main jet for adding overall fuel throughout the rpm range. Generally mine runs best at 2 or 2.5/4/2.

Quote Originally Posted by paulyester View Post
    I'm at about a 1-2-1 right now. I don't like the way its running at all

UPDATE - just checked the plugs and I definitely need more fuel, I just don't know which pot to tune the 3-4K RPM range
    i would bump them to 3-4.5-4 with your air kit and you alt that should send enough fuel.

Default Help with settings for mine

Any suggested settings for mine, it has the D&M Custom Cycles Power flow intakes

http://www.dmcustomcycle.com/product...ct=PF-6100-SCH

and the cobra swept exhaust.

I have a pc3 on it (was free) but truthfully dont want to pay 400.00 to dyno it.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by tesnevo; 08-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    "If you cant change your team, then change your team!"

Quote Originally Posted by tesnevo View Post
    Any suggested settings for mine, it has the D&M Custom Cycles Power flow intakes

http://www.dmcustomcycle.com/product...ct=PF-6100-SCH

and the cobra swept exhaust.

I have a pc3 on it (was free) but truthfully dont want to pay 400.00 to dyno it.
    Thanks.

so do you have PC3 or the cobra unit??

I have the pc3 on there now. Not really happy with it due to it seeming to stumble under acceleration. It still runs great and great mpg I just dont feel its set correctly enough w/o a dyno. And like I said dont want to fork over 400.00 to do it. Im ordering the fi2000r tomorrow morn.
    I am curious as to if the fi2000r would perform better than the pc3.

i like it better. its cheaper more user friendly and more tunable without the need of a tuner.

Any settings suggestion for my setup? Or maybe I just need to custom dyno the girl and be done...

look for some one with tornadoes and sweeps. that would be about the same.

Try setting the FI2000R pots to 2-4-3. With the Roadhouse pipes, K&Ns and FI2000R, you should see a gain of at least 10HP.

Guys, I got Scorpion tips, K&Ns and FI2000R. It is running good ,but I know it could be better. I have some popping issues too.
    Right now it is 3.5-5-2.5
    I tried the 2-3-2 and played with it a few times, but not really sure which way to go with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

got a little tid bit of info on the fi 2000 that helped me. in the instructions it says to put the ground on the battery -. a buddy told me to ground it to the chassis. took it for a ride and can tell a difference, especially when i open the throttle up. no more hesitation or "building" up it is right there when you hit the throttle. he explained it about what happens i'm not even going to try to repeat it. i just know it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by devilr1 View Post
    Guys, I got Scorpion tips, K&Ns and FI2000R. It is running good ,but I know it could be better. I have some popping issues too.
    Right now it is 3.5-5-2.5
    I tried the 2-3-2 and played with it a few times, but not really sure which way to go with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    i posted this before. check your ground wire end connector,and check the connection in the box itself. hot glue not the strongest thing in the world. i think i pulled mine apart when i put the seat on,caught the wire harness.