M109 Rider Forums banner

Installing an Oil Catch Can

59K views 115 replies 49 participants last post by  edwilk55 
#1 · (Edited)
Installing an Oil Catch Can.

I'm open to suggestions or any recommendations but this is what I have done so far to eliminate the oil issues blowing off on to the left side of the engine that so many people have.

Parts needed:
5/8 Hose
3/8 or 1/2 hose. ( Don't remember but I think I used 3/8
Air/Oil filter for an air compressor
male hose fitting to attached Air/Oil filter to hose
Breather filter
male to male fitting for connecting to hoses.
1/2 plug for airbox
hose clamps for both size hoses

I removed the main hose coming out of the breather in the engine block which goes up to the airbox.

I don't have a picture at this time but will try to update next time I remove the tank but make sure to cap off the hole in the airbox when removing the hose.

I bought 5/8 hose for radiators at the auto store and used that to run from the block (red arrow below).
Then ran it over a cross bar and to the right side of the bike behind the cover.

This hose was to big to for the Air/Oil filter so I cut a very short piece of the smaller hose which perfectly fit inside the 5/8 hose and used that to reduce the size. Installed it and clamped it down.

Make sure to install the air/oil filter the correct way for air flow to come out of the engine into the breather filter. If using this style filter it needs to stay vertical.

Used the smaller hose to run from the bottom of the filter to the breather where I used another fitting to attach the hose to the filter. The way I have it mounted the breather filter is hidden behind the chrome cover on the right side.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Installing an Oil Catch Can.

I'm open to suggestions or any recommendations but this is what I have done so far to eliminate the oil issues blowing off on to the left side of the engine that so many people have.
Before I say anything, I really appreciate the work you have put into this.

I was under the impression that oil on the side of the engine is a sign of overfilling the engine with oil.

If you put the right amount of oil in the bike, when picking it up from the dealer or when changing the oil, this should never happen.

I might be WAY off base here, so if i am, please let me know.

Cheers...

#3 ·
MNDiesel, just be sure that filter in the catch can does not hinder blow-by.
Nice set up, I did mine after I saw oil dripping from my left side air cleaner one day...and I wasn't the only one who saw it...:redfaced:
But i would imagine that set up makes it hard to unscrew the catch can to empty...my can hangs as a t-inline on the way to the breather.

3.6, 3.8, 4.0, hell I don't care anymore...the catch can does!
I just empty it, wipe it out and screw it back in...
how can I tell if the filter hinders the blow-by air pressure. i was concerned about this. specially since you have to go to a smaller hose.

I have not attempted to unscrew it and empty my catch can yet. I know what your talking about regarding the T-style. i have not been able to find one yet. The only T-style ones I have found are oilers which my understanding puts airtool oil into the line to oil your impact guns and other such items. I have not found one to that style to remove the oil.

#4 ·
If you are having oil puke from the left side, it is because of overfilling it or excessive blow by. I do my oil change the exact same every time and I knew for a fact that it was not overfilled. All of a sudden, at 10k miles mine was puking a lot. I went off synthetic back to dyno oil and the last 12k miles I have been 100% puke free.
I agree. I fill mine correctly every time and mine started around 6-7K. I have been only trying Suzuki oil standard oil. I have not tried synthetic or any other brands. Its not a lot of oil but the blow-by is enough to be annoying at times.

#6 ·
I have not figured out why but it seems like some people have the issue more then others. Some think it has to do with how you ride the bike some think it has to do with how it was broke in. I think its just dumb luck, but I def have the issue no matter how much oil I put in.

#7 ·
i am just curious how does the oil stay in the can but the gases go by without draining down the hose.I also used the home depot one works great a small amount of oil will drop down into catch can but the gases go by.

#8 ·
I can't tell you specifics on how this filter works but I do know it is meant to be setup this way. It has to be vertical for it to work. I haven't rode it much since installing it but there is a small amount of oil in it, so I know it is working. I have tested to make sure I can blow through it now to ensure it has the ability to release the needed pressure.

I may still search for the other T style filter that some of you are using because I think they are easier to clean out. So far no one has had them in stock.

#12 ·
Yes, The oil many people get on the left side of the bike originates from the breather on the block which is routed to the air box.

#14 ·
I made some changes to my setup because the T style filter is easier to empty similar to K109s.

#17 ·
mn diesel thanks for the props on the catch can i have had ONE problem lately,only happened once oil in the can must of been bouncing around and some how made it way all the way to the filter and it leaked out I have sense made the hose longer and made the hose loop around to the same place will take some pics and post them.
thanks again k109

#20 ·
I but a small filter at the end so dirt and dust don't get inside just a precaution I guess cause I believe the crank case only blows out and doesn't suck air in.I have since gone with a new filter we use at work on mac valves to release air works great so far and easier to hide under the cowl then that filter from autozone.
here it is

#22 ·
here is catch can even left a little oil so you know it works lol

this is how I run the hose if you want one of those small filters pm me I have an extra one

#28 ·
Thanks to all for the submissions on this issue. I've been reading this thread over and over. If I am understanding the instrctions correctly: 1) 5/8" hose routes from engine block to the "in" end/side of the T-catch can --downsize the hose, if necessary; then connect another hose on the opposite end/side of the T-catch can and route it to the coned airfilter or, stuff the airflow end with some type of filter, 2) where the hose previously ran from the engine block to an airbox, "cap" the airbox hole, and 3) after I clean out the left-side breather (i.e., location of my K&N air filter), reconnect the original hoses that routed back to back of the breather, on both sides. Please let me know if I misunderstood.
In addition, here are my other issue: 1) how does one "cap" off the airbox, what the process, what materials should I use, 2) the T-catch can I bought has a fitting on the bottom which suggest it fits into a coupling portion of an air hose...I put a small amount of water in it and it leaked out. I take it this is the wrong one? Was there another type that I was suppose buy?
Any or all clarification is greatly appreciate. one. Was

#24 ·
oil puke

does anyone know if this happens to the 2009's? I purchased my 9 a week ago and had heard about this, but did not know if was specific model years that were affected, and could not find that information

thanks
Yes it does. One of the first things I did (100 miles or so) was intall a catch and it was catching oil by the first service. There are as many opinions as there are members but for whatever reason the bike pukes and this is a reusable bandage. My 2007 didn't start puking until 3000 - 4000 miles, but it puked as well.

#26 ·
just curious how do they get oil to the filters when then hose only goes to the catch can and totally eliminates the air box where the stock hose was connected too :dontknow:

#31 ·
gray9_08 the catch can you should be buying is from lowell's or home depot from the air compressor section.you are right about everything you are doing and I just put a small rubber booty over the air box outlet and zip-tied it.

the oil looks milky cause of condensation the pic was taken when the weather was fluctuating a lot it freaked me out at first but talked to member here and my cousin who owns his own motorcycle shop all said same reason my bike runs great with 18,000 miles on it.

#32 ·
K109 Thanks for the confirmation and additional advice. Also thanks to the others that responded, I've gained insightful tips. My bike is disassembled and ready for me to complete the work. I'll post an update once I'm done.
By the way, how quickly does your catch can fill and must be emptied? I poured apprx 1/8 of a cup of oil out of my left breather.
Again, thanks to all for your advice.

#33 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by scotty109
It happens to any you over fill. dont care what anyone says but since i have done my own oil changes putting in Exactly what it says 3600ml with filter , i have never had oil puke.
This isn't true, so I guess you need to come up with a new hypothesis Scotty. :-\ I guess you've just been really lucky.

I changed my oil 1200 miles ago at the end of May, checked it a few times in June/July. Was spot on every time. Then all of a sudden, it just started to puke the first week of August with around 1,000 miles on the change. Not sure how after 1,000+ miles it was all of a sudden overfilled. Have always used dino 10W/40. The bike has 5,200 miles on it, and didn't start getting the puke until it had about 3,600 miles.

Maybe you can explain that one, Scotty, because I sure as hell don't get it.

The only thing I know for sure I did was rev it high in 3rd gear (up to 5500 or so) and the next thing I knew, it started puking. I know it was then because I did it pulling away from a gas station and everything was clean when I filled up.

#43 ·
This isn't true, so I guess you need to come up with a new hypothesis Scotty. :-\ I guess you've just been really lucky.

I changed my oil 1200 miles ago at the end of May, checked it a few times in June/July. Was spot on every time. Then all of a sudden, it just started to puke the first week of August with around 1,000 miles on the change. Not sure how after 1,000+ miles it was all of a sudden overfilled. Have always used dino 10W/40. The bike has 5,200 miles on it, and didn't start getting the puke until it had about 3,600 miles.

Maybe you can explain that one, Scotty, because I sure as hell don't get it.

The only thing I know for sure I did was rev it high in 3rd gear (up to 5500 or so) and the next thing I knew, it started puking. I know it was then because I did it pulling away from a gas station and everything was clean when I filled up.
did you do it as the book? add 3000ml, start the bike let it idle a few minutes ,then shut it down and another 600ml (with filter)

I know someone who added the whole 3600ml in one hit and had it coming back out the oil fill hole.Must be two chambers

#34 ·
:agree:

I do my own oil changes with engine still pretty warm. Removed filler cap, both plugs, wait a few mins. Remove filter, then lean bike to the right as far as I can for a minute, lean as far to the left as I can, wait a few and repeat. Before I did all the leaning I did a change and was horrified that I only got less than 2.5 quarts out (didn't start with filler cap out and never leaned). Filled it back up with 3.7 and got puking.

Since doing the leaning thing I get out what I put in. Also, I switched to 10/40 dino oil.

#36 ·
I got the booty from autozone it came in a box with a bunch of them but the kid was cool at store opened the package an gave it to me i will look around tomorrow for something and if I have it i can send it to you.

#38 ·
I had picked up an assorted pack of "Vacu-Tite" from AutoZone, but the largest diameter was 3/8 dimension. It never occurred to me that the diameter of the airbox was 5/8 and I could use that fact during my search. That realization would have prevented me from carrying dishwasher caps all over town from store to store . Oh well, I'll check the stores again tomorrow. K109...I've attached the cone filter but am seriously interested in the filter that you changed out. Any recommendations as to where I should look for that type of filter? And, have you had any problems with that filter? By the way, zip tying mod in a few minutes. Again, thanks for the advice .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.