First ride of the season. Showing off the grill and chin

Thread: First ride of the season. Showing off the grill and chin

Default First ride of the season. Showing off the grill and chin

280/160 combo and air ride as well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Your entire ride is VERY-WELL DONE Bro. I love what youíve created. The only thing I would add to that masterpiece is a set of those DLX PRODOX Black Contrast Cut ďGUNNERĒ Fat Fork Tube Covers. No matter what, you should be extremely proud of that BEAUTY!!!
    😁😎👍🏽✋🏽👍🏽🏆🏆🏆✋🏽👍🏽✋🏽😎😁

I just mounted a 260 on my 9'. I was debating about moving onto the 160 as well. you made up my mind. Must have! Bike looks bad ass.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

New 9 rider in need of tires here. Do you have to modify anything to accommodate 280/160?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrjacobjohnson View Post
    New 9 rider in need of tires here. Do you have to modify anything to accommodate 280/160?
    Mostly just your expectations that you are stuck with stock.

160 Front - You will likely need to raise your fender slightly. Several ways to do this. Some just wedge the fender up while tightening the bolts and that works for them. Others use commercial lift bars to extend the mount holes. Others like myself just file the bolts holes into an oval, and I added an extra 3D printed plug which holds the fender up in that oval. Width is not a problem, just a bit of height.

280 Rear - I am only running 250, but here's what I know: The 8.5" rear rim width can handle max 260 by spec (which I think is already a bit over). However MANY run 280 on stock rims with NO problems and are quite happy with it. Others (like myself) insist it should be a 10" rim... to the beholder, as I have no opinion other than math and you can't really argue with physical success. 280 is however the largest you can physically go without mods, regardless of any opinions.

Welcome.

AND YES that is a beautifully dressed Nine!
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 04-05-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuporDave View Post
    I just mounted a 260 on my 9'. I was debating about moving onto the 160 as well. you made up my mind. Must have! Bike looks bad ass.
    You will never regret having made that decision. Not only does it look awesome, it actually/factually increases ground clearance a bit, improves the ride comfort of the bike as it pertains to how the bike absorbs imperfections in the roads, and the bike handles like a dream...even when combined with a rear 280 or 300 tire setup.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Mostly just your expectations that you are stuck with stock.

160 Front - You will likely need to raise your fender slightly. Several ways to do this. Some just wedge the fender up while tightening the bolts and that works for them. Others use commercial lift bars to extend the mount holes. Others like myself just file the bolts holes into an oval, and I added an extra 3D printed plug which holds the fender up in that oval. Width is not a problem, just a bit of height.

280 Rear - I am only running 250, but here's what I know: The 8.5" rear rim width can handle max 260 by spec (which I think is already a bit over). However MANY run 280 on stock rims with NO problems and are quite happy with it. Others (like myself) insist it should be a 10" rim... to the beholder, as I have no opinion other than math and you can't really argue with physical success. 280 is however the largest you can physically go without mods, regardless of any opinions.

Welcome.

AND YES that is a beautifully dressed Nine!
    ^^^^^ÖI agree 100%. Also, the part NSF was referring to when he stated commercial lift bars, are called ďFront Fender Extenders.Ē They are available at MEANCYCLES for $49.95 per set.

Those are definitely the answers I was searching for. You guys are awesome. Now I can buy some tires and continue my preferred method of "social distancing" in style!

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Your entire ride is VERY-WELL DONE Bro. I love what youíve created. The only thing I would add to that masterpiece is a set of those DLX PRODOX Black Contrast Cut ďGUNNERĒ Fat Fork Tube Covers. No matter what, you should be extremely proud of that BEAUTY!!!
    I'm going to look into those covers, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjacobjohnson View Post

Others already covered this but on my side I didn't have to get any adaptors for the front fender, it's very tight clearance but it doesn't rub with everything stock. Just pull the fender up a bit as you tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by DivkoviC View Post
    Others already covered this but on my side I didn't have to get any adaptors for the front fender, it's very tight clearance but it doesn't rub with everything stock. Just pull the fender up a bit as you tighten.

DivkoviC, I think the decision some/most have made to either go with or forego the Fender Extenders on their front fender has to do with the roads they generally travel on, and/or whether or not they foresee maneuvering their bikes through gravel at any time. Some just prefer to have the extra clearance, just to be on the safe side. I however, prefer not to use Fender Extenders, tamper with elongating the mounting holes on the fender, or move the fender up a bit and then tighten the bolts. Iím currently running the 160/60 tire on two of my 9s, and my third one will eventually have a 160/60 tire. I just havenít purchased my custom wheels and tires combo set yet. Nevertheless, I will simply mount the front fender just as it is, without any modifications, unless itís rubbing or it sits too close to the tire. Knock on wood...Iíve never had an issue with rocks or any other road debris affecting my front fenders...no chipping, no cracking, or anything. Plus, I love the look of the front fender hugging the 160/60 tire just right, with just the right amount of clearance to avoid any issues with rocks, etc...

DivkoviC, I think the decision some/most have made to either go with or forego the Fender Extenders on their front fender has to do with the roads they generally travel on, and/or whether or not they foresee maneuvering their bikes through gravel at any time. Some just prefer to have the extra clearance, just to be on the safe side. I however, prefer not to use Fender Extenders, tamper with elongating the mounting holes on the fender, or move the fender up a bit and then tighten the bolts. Iím currently running the 160/60 tire on two of my 9s, and my third one will eventually have a 160/60 tire. I just havenít purchased my custom wheels and tires combo set yet. Nevertheless, I will simply mount the front fender just as it is, without any modifications, unless itís rubbing or it sits too close to the tire. Knock on wood...Iíve never had an issue with rocks or any other road debris affecting my front fenders...no chipping, no cracking, or anything. Plus, I love the look of the front fender hugging the 160/60 tire just right, with just the right amount of clearance to avoid any issues with rocks, etc...
    Just posting the other perspective... There are posts on this site showing front fenders that were completely destroyed by a rock getting lodged between the fender and tire. I like the look without fender extenders, but didnít want to chance it, so I have the extenders on my 9.

I have not had any issues with the 9, but I did have a rock that got wedged between the front tire and fender of my Magnum. (Stock tire and fender) The rock locked up the front tire. Luckily, I was in my driveway and was not going very fast when it happened. Steel fender, so no damage to the fender, it just stopped the bike. Rolled it backwards and the rock came out.

Great looking bike

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Just posting the other perspective... There are posts on this site showing front fenders that were completely destroyed by a rock getting lodged between the fender and tire. I like the look without fender extenders, but didn’t want to chance it, so I have the extenders on my 9.

I have not had any issues with the 9, but I did have a rock that got wedged between the front tire and fender of my Magnum. (Stock tire and fender) The rock locked up the front tire. Luckily, I was in my driveway and was not going very fast when it happened. Steel fender, so no damage to the fender, it just stopped the bike. Rolled it backwards and the rock came out.
    Yes, I agree there are other posts showing the front fenders destroyed by rocks lodged in the tire treads. I’ve seen several of them. I thought I mentioned something about riding on gravel, as being one of the reasons some have decided to go with Fender Extenders. I’m not totally against using them. I would use them as well, if I were going to be riding on/through gravel regularly. It just so happens that I don’t ride on/through gravel, which is intentional. I purposefully stay clear of gravel, due to the fact that I know my front fenders hug my 160/60 tires.

By the way, do you have a gravel driveway? Just curious, because you mentioned a rock got lodged between your front tire and metal front fender on your Victory Magnum.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 04-14-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Yes, I agree there are other posts showing front fender destroyed by rocks lodged in the tire treads. Iíve seen several of them. I thought I mentioned something about riding on gravel, as being one of the reasons some have decided to go with Fender Extenders. Iím not totally against using them. I would use them as well, if I were going to be riding on/through gravel regularly. It just so happens that I donít ride on/through gravel, which is intentional. I purposefully stay clear of gravel, due to the fact that I know my front fenders hug my 160/60 tires.

By the way, do you have a gravel driveway? Just curious, because you mentioned a rock got lodged between your front tire and metal front fender on your Victory Magnum.
    Yes, I have about a 10th of a mile gravel driveway between my garage and the paved road. Planning to pave the driveway at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Yes, I have about a 10th of a mile gravel driveway between my garage and the paved road. Planning to pave the driveway at some point.
    I hear you Bro. You have two very SWEET rides, and Iím sure you want to preserve them as much as possible. 😁😎🏆🏆😎😁

damn DivkoviC, your bike looks great!
    (Gone) 2014 M109R B.O.S.S.
    (Current) 2019 M109R B.O.S.S.
    Cyclops LED headlight, Hard Krome Sideburner exhaust, Side Mount Tag, Under-tail turn signals, Low & Mean Chin Spoiler
    COMING SOON: Arnott Air Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tcolt45 View Post
    damn DivkoviC, your bike looks great!
    Thanks bro!