Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

Thread: Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

Default Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

my clutch lever used to be stiff when pulling it back, meaning it was heavy to pull back toward the grip, while riding the other day it seemed that all of a sudden the clutch lever became extrememly light and easy to pull in........It is still working the same, but Its a noticable difference, I was so used to the weight behind it coming off of red lights, that when I first stopped after noticing the difference I nearly stalled the thing........wondering if anyone had an idea whats going on

"08" Orange,Debeavered,Debadged, J-Rod's custom LED's Ducks517 Famous Airbox covers, Custom License Plate Bracket,Custom Carbon Fiber Rear Turn Signals, Zuki Full Cut Gel Seat,Corbin Passenger Seat with Corbin Backrest! Key Mod, More to Come Stay Tuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

it happened to me once so i'll suggest it as a possibility. the rubber boot that covers the base of the clutch lever stuck to my lever and was being pulled like a rubber band as i pulled the clutch in. i did it all of a sudden one day and then it released and freaked me out as well. took me a little time to relize what had caused it. all lube the inside of the boot a little so it would never happen again. this was my experience. try it yourself, pull the boot tight over the lever and pull the lever in and see if it felt the same as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeM109 View Post
    my clutch lever used to be stiff when pulling it back, meaning it was heavy to pull back toward the grip, while riding the other day it seemed that all of a sudden the clutch lever became extrememly light and easy to pull in........It is still working the same, but Its a noticable difference, I was so used to the weight behind it coming off of red lights, that when I first stopped after noticing the difference I nearly stalled the thing........wondering if anyone had an idea whats going on
    Sounds like it partially broke,,, frayed either at the lever or down at the linkage,,,

Better check that!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member windycityrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone©®™ View Post
    Sounds like it partially broke,,, frayed either at the lever or down at the linkage,,,

Better check that!

definitely check over everything to be sure it doesn't cause a bigger problem while on the road.

OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED.......THE
    WINDY CITY IS MY PLAYGROUND

Check both ends of your cable and report back.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Exactly the same thing happened to me, it was the rubber boot restricting the movement of the lever. I thought something was busted too, but when I checked it was all fine.

I used a bit of silicone lubricant on the inside of the boot, it's been nice & smooth ever since.

Obviously check your cable just in case, but I'd wager it's just the boot.

The boot did it on mine too. I put the Barnett cable on it and while I had the cover off I cleaned it and everything under it with Windex. Installed the cable and put everything back together, and instead of being 40% lighter pull as they advertise it was a lot stiffer. I thought the cable was binding or I had kinked it somewhere, then noticed that the boot was stretching as I pulled the lever. I had a can of the spray on tire cleaner/shine and hit it with that, and it's been good since.

Maybe your Wheaties finally kicked in

Same thing has happened to me twice with my Barnett new clutch cable. Tight pull overall, then all of a sudden come to a stop, release the lever, pull back to go into second and like butter...WTF!!!! Stays like butter throughout the day but eventually goes back to being a tight pull again. I pulled the cable and inspected at the lever and at the bottom end. No fraying at either end of the cable. Everything looked fine.

I'm gonna try "loobing up" the Clutch lever boot to see if that helps.

Thanks all...
    2" Lowering bones, JSD3, Raw Taz Pipe, PC-III, Dyno'd, Iso-Flames Grips, Kuryakyn Front & rear, Kewl Metal 2" hole risers & Tach Mount, SS throtle and brake lines, SS Barnett Clutch cable, Sissy bar, de-bagged, de-beavered, Tony Rumble Air, K&N Filters, Pro Evo Shift Star, Gel seats, Chromed stock wheels.

Lightbulb YEP!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethetwins View Post
    it happened to me once so i'll suggest it as a possibility. the rubber boot that covers the base of the clutch lever stuck to my lever and was being pulled like a rubber band as i pulled the clutch in. i did it all of a sudden one day and then it released and freaked me out as well. took me a little time to relize what had caused it. all lube the inside of the boot a little so it would never happen again. this was my experience. try it yourself, pull the boot tight over the lever and pull the lever in and see if it felt the same as it did.

Can attest to that !

BELIEVE WHAT IS, NOT WHAT YOU THINK !
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

thanks for all the input guys, I checked everything it looks to be fine.........The boot was rubbing slightly.....not sure if that is the total cause of the problem, I haven't had a chance to ride due to the crappy weather here........i'll keep you posted.

"08" Orange,Debeavered,Debadged, J-Rod's custom LED's Ducks517 Famous Airbox covers, Custom License Plate Bracket,Custom Carbon Fiber Rear Turn Signals, Zuki Full Cut Gel Seat,Corbin Passenger Seat with Corbin Backrest! Key Mod, More to Come Stay Tuned