FI2000R settings (K&N, debaffled, JSD)
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: FI2000R settings (K&N, debaffled, JSD)

  1. #1
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Post FI2000R settings (K&N, debaffled, JSD)

    I just ordered the Corbra FI2000R. I understand the default configuration is 1-3-2 but I was wondering if anyone has the optimal settings for this mod configuration:

    - K&N air filters
    - Debaffled stock exhaust (2 of 3 baffles in '07 LE)
    - JSD-3M
    - NGK CR9EK

    I'm currently running on the lean side and getting engine knock without the FI2000R.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. It would also help reduce my experimentation time.
    Last edited by dazooki; 09-05-2008 at 10:14 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,464

    Default

    Bob, when I had basically that configuration I ran it on the 1-3-2 setting. It's actually for an aftermarket pipe, but it's not too rich. Once I did my exhaust I bumped it ot 2-4-2.

    I think those numbers are right, but whichever they are I left it stock with debaffled pipe, K&N filters and my GiPro, and bumped it up one click on the 1st and 2nd pots with the more open exhaust. Even with the setup I have now, it still runs fine on the stock setting too. I'd try it at that and see how it runs, and if it does anything funny bump the first two pots up one click at a time.

    The instructions that come with it explains how it works and how to tune it, but basically pot #1 is for idle to 4,000 rpm, pot #2 is like an accelerator pump and adds fuel as long as you are accelerating above a certain point, and pot #3 enrichens the mixture across the board.






  4. #3
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Received and installed the FI2000R. Installation went smoothly and bike still runs. Used Lamonster's post for a little extra guidance to the Cobra instructions. Gotta love this forum!

    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67296

    Settings are currently the default 1-3-2. I'm waiting for the rain to move on for the test rides. I'll keep you posted.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Today I was able to make test runs with the FI2000R installed. First thing I noticed is how much cooler the bike runs. I use to have hot air rolling off the engine, under the seat, and the fan would kick on quickly. Makes sense as lean AFRs run hotter then rich ones. Anyway, much cooler now.

    For the first tests, I used the stock settings of 1-3-2 and was able to add the JSD-3M back on without any noticeable engine knocking. Very happy about this. When running through the gears at hard acceleration I noticed that around 5000 RPM and above the engine would roar but didn't feel like it was pulling very hard. I made several attempts at adjusting the settings until I settled with 2-4-3. With this setting I had more pull thoughout the RPM ranges. The instructions indicate, "air filters with higher than stock airflow can create a need for higher fuel settings". This gave me the clue to turn all three pots up a notch.

    I'm still a little uncertain on how to get optimal setting in the "do-it-yourself" mode. But I'll run it this way for awhile until I get more time to play with it. Does anyone have any tips?

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    292

    Default FI2000R

    Quote Originally Posted by dazooki View Post
    Today I was able to make test runs with the FI2000R installed. First thing I noticed is how much cooler the bike runs. I use to have hot air rolling off the engine, under the seat, and the fan would kick on quickly. Makes sense as lean AFRs run hotter then rich ones. Anyway, much cooler now.

    For the first tests, I used the stock settings of 1-3-2 and was able to add the JSD-3M back on without any noticeable engine knocking. Very happy about this. When running through the gears at hard acceleration I noticed that around 5000 RPM and above the engine would roar but didn't feel like it was pulling very hard. I made several attempts at adjusting the settings until I settled with 2-4-3. With this setting I had more pull thoughout the RPM ranges. The instructions indicate, "air filters with higher than stock airflow can create a need for higher fuel settings". This gave me the clue to turn all three pots up a notch.

    I'm still a little uncertain on how to get optimal setting in the "do-it-yourself" mode. But I'll run it this way for awhile until I get more time to play with it. Does anyone have any tips?
    I've just ordered some K&N filters from DLP and am getting ready to order an FI2000R as I have a JSD also. Can anyone recommend settings? My exhaust is stock.

    Cheers
    John

  8. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
    I've just ordered some K&N filters from DLP and am getting ready to order an FI2000R as I have a JSD also. Can anyone recommend settings? My exhaust is stock.

    Cheers
    John
    Some people run the JSD with K&Ns without any problems. And if you have no plans on doing anything to the exhaust, you might be able to also. I did the step-by-step approach with my mods, first JSD, then K&Ns, then debaffling, then cooler plugs. Once I debaffled my stock exhaust the engine knock was very pronounced. It forced me to get the fuel management device to correct it.

    Since I expect your airflow will not be as open without an exhaust change, I'd start with the default 1-3-2.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    759

    Default

    I agree with Zoom, but would add one thing. Think of pot 1 as the cruise/max mpg setting. You'll want to run this pot on the lowest setting that still allows a smooth running engine at constant or very slight increases in throttle.

  10. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Bob, when I had basically that configuration I ran it on the 1-3-2 setting. It's actually for an aftermarket pipe, but it's not too rich. Once I did my exhaust I bumped it ot 2-4-2.

    I think those numbers are right, but whichever they are I left it stock with debaffled pipe, K&N filters and my GiPro, and bumped it up one click on the 1st and 2nd pots with the more open exhaust. Even with the setup I have now, it still runs fine on the stock setting too. I'd try it at that and see how it runs, and if it does anything funny bump the first two pots up one click at a time.

    The instructions that come with it explains how it works and how to tune it, but basically pot #1 is for idle to 4,000 rpm, pot #2 is like an accelerator pump and adds fuel as long as you are accelerating above a certain point, and pot #3 enrichens the mixture across the board.
    Zoom, I did some digging. In the following thread you stated you used 2-4-3 for the K&Ns with the debaffled stock exhaust.

    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90720

    Can you clarify?

  11. #9
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazooki View Post
    Zoom, I did some digging. In the following thread you stated you used 2-4-3 for the K&Ns with the debaffled stock exhaust.

    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90720

    Can you clarify?

    That was about the time I first installed it and wanted to be safe with it. It was also in March and the weather was cold, so the settings would have been a little richer with the denser air.

    I just went out and checked to see what I have set at now, and I have it set at 2-4-2. When I put a baffle in my exhaust I probably bumped the 3rd pot from 3 to 2 and left it there.

    To tune mine I use a simple method. I take it out on a back road and run it at a steady rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear and see how evenly it runs. I vary the rpm's a couple hundred at a time, and if it sputters I bump the #1 pot up a little. I do this until it runs evenly at all rpms I'm likely to be using at a steady speed. Stock it had a little burble around 2300 rpm and that has gone away.

    Then for the second pot I acclerate from a few different rpms and see if it picks up smoothly. I bump it up a click at a time (they don't really click, you just set it to the next number) until I can't tell that it's doing anything different, then drop it back a number. I've never had to run mine higher than 4 before I could tell it was running rich just by revving the engine. With no cat I can get black exhaust smoke out at anything higher than 4 on the second pot. I even get a little with it set at 4.

    The third pot I mostly take a guess at. I don't know if you could tell what difference it makes unless you put it on a dyno. I know if you bump it up much it does affect the first pot as well, so if you go up on the third pot you might have to back down the first pot. It does fine on the 2 setting so I leave it there.

    The best thing to do is just play with it. I have mine installed under the seat in front of the air box, so I can quickly pull the seat off, pull it out, and change it. When I go on a long ride I'll sometimes tweak it a little just to see what it does. For instance I can get into 3500 foot elevations withing 35-30 miles of here, so I bump it down a click on the #2 pot if I'm running those roads. Higher elevations, less air, less fuel needed. I don't always do that, but I've done it just to see if it's noticeable. I can't really say it is but I tell myself it's making a difference.






  12. #10
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Thanks, I'll give this method a try.

    Here are some things I noticed when watching the LEDs. I just opened the lid on the FI2000R and watched the LEDs as i rev'd the engine. When engine is at idle or in low RPMs thegreen LED is on and uses the 1st pot setting. As stated in the instructions, link below. The yellow LED lights up and activates the setting for 2nd pot on fast throttle increases. The red LED for the 3rd pot is activated at high RPMs, greater than 5000 RPM.

    http://www.fi2000r.com/files/pdf/51_92-1845.pdf

    When testing I had to run the engine above 5000-6000 RPMs to feel the difference the 3rd pot makes. I did both gradual and fast throttle increases. Hard to do this and also watch out for Mr. . Anyway, I think setting the 3rd pot to 3 instead of 2 provides better acceleration in the high RPMs. I also try to convince myself that if I found 2-4-x worked better than 1-3-x for the first two pots. Then I'm probably lean at 1-3-2 and the 3rd pot also needs increasing.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Ok, I had some more time to play.

    I was running at the 2-4-3 setting today and was overall pleased with the performance, but when I stopped at a friends house he said that he could smell gas. According to the Cobra website, link below, black exhaust or the smell of gas means it's to rich.

    http://www.fi2000r.com/page.php?page=41

    So I backed off to the default settings again, 1-3-2. I ran this way for a while but was still bothered by the lack of pull at 5000 RPM and higher. Seemed like a lot of noise but no power. , I converted it to a Harley!

    I finally made a small adjustment to 1-3-3 and I'm taking off again!

    Summary of 1-3-3 setting and why:

    • Green (pot 1) set to 1 (default). Lowest (leanest) setting that provides steady engine power at constant RPMs. If your running lean you may notice some surging at a constant throttle in low RPMs.
    • Yellow (pot 2) set to 3 (default). Setting provides good pull on fast throttle increases in low and mid RPMs.
    • Red (pot 3) set to 3. High RPM pull was noticeably week with the default setting. The setting increase brought back the steady even pull throughout the RPM range. The advanced tuning instructions indicate that with air filters specifically designed for higher than stock airflow and additional one-position setting may be needed.

    Got to give thanks to Zoom for all his help on this!
    I'll make sure to post any setting changes I make.

  14. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazooki View Post
    Some people run the JSD with K&Ns without any problems. And if you have no plans on doing anything to the exhaust, you might be able to also. I did the step-by-step approach with my mods, first JSD, then K&Ns, then debaffling, then cooler plugs. Once I debaffled my stock exhaust the engine knock was very pronounced. It forced me to get the fuel management device to correct it.

    Since I expect your airflow will not be as open without an exhaust change, I'd start with the default 1-3-2.
    That's good advice. I could probably get away without the FI2000, but I know it's already running lean, so why not give it some more gas. I put a power commander on my SV1000S, and all I'd done to that was a K&N filter. The increase in torque from the extra fuel was amazing. The gas mileage didn't change due to the increased torque at the same throttle setting.

    Hurry up DLP send it soon and I'll rush to install it! (I only ordered it today)
    Cheers

  15. #13
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    759

    Default

    After lots of playing with my 2000r yesterday and this morning, oddly enough, FOR MY BIKE the default setting of 1-3-2 works best. I've got the Cobra Swept exhaust, JSD, and K&N filters in the Holley intakes. I ran 2-4-3 for a long time to be on the "safe side" but then discovered that MY BIKE did just fine with the first pot on 1 and the second pot on 3. Yesterday I did a few runs through 3 gears with the third pot on 3 and then backed the third pot down to 2. There was a marked improvment and for the very first time, the back tire broke loose when I rolled-on the throttle in first gear. The shift to second and third felt like the the motor was ripping the back wheel out of the frame. I did a 200 mile ride today with a few friends and could not be more pleased with the performance. Towards the end of our ride today I ran through 4 gears and I can tell you 130 has never come so quickly.

    All that said, I honestly think most bikes with my setup would run better with the third pot bumped-up to 3. I think for some unknown reason my bike was born a bit more on the rich side than most. My first indication was the GREAT improvment in performance when simply changing to K&N filters in the stock location. Later, when moving the K&N's to the Holley intakes, I realized another performance gain.

    I think the bottom line here is that the default settings are a good place to start. However, I don't think there can be an "optimal setting" for any one bike configuration due to differences in our bikes and riding conditions. Here in South Florida, I'll be waiting to see how she runs the first time we have one of those cool, crisp mornings. Who knows...might have to bump the mixture just a hair.

  16. #14
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamdaddy View Post
    Here in South Florida, I'll be waiting to see how she runs the first time we have one of those cool, crisp mornings. Who knows...might have to bump the mixture just a hair.
    Let's see, a cool, crisp morning in South Florida would be like 70 degrees and humidity of less than 60%?

    I agree fully with what you said, there is no setting that will work exactly the same on a different bike, even with the same mods. Altitude is probably the biggest difference in the tuning needed, but humidity plays into it, and just the difference from bike to bike.






  17. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Let's see, a cool, crisp morning in South Florida would be like 70 degrees and humidity of less than 60%?

    I agree fully with what you said, there is no setting that will work exactly the same on a different bike, even with the same mods. Altitude is probably the biggest difference in the tuning needed, but humidity plays into it, and just the difference from bike to bike.
    You are close on the temps. I think I had to wear longs sleve shirts 4 times last winter. Brrrrrr

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->