LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics

Quote Originally Posted by mojo!k View Post
    tnx bro. Got it done-whew greased and torqued + double checked. My son let me use his air tools so breaking loose the nuts/bolts were a breeze. Never coulda done it without it.

I know those 12hr shifts too. Not much time for anything else when working those. Tnx for your help & encouragement this site is A+

A big thank you to the Canadian for his write up and pics --a MUST have, for me at least

I'll post pics when it's off the lift. polishing wheels next I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!
    Congradulations on the install!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Here's a before and after.
    before

after
    Lowered with YS 2" links.

Mojo!k, you will love the look with the wheels polished! I see you have the fastest color too. The drop looks killer!

K&N Filters, Debeavered, gutted stock pipes, Lowered 2.25". Suzuki Engine Guards, Suzuki Backrest, Irate Mesh Grill, Stebel Air Horn, Back Off Flashers, Polished Wheels, 250mm Rear, Kuryakyn foot pegs and shifter cover, Duck's Covers, ISO Grips

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

tnx NMclay your bike is !

I was out today for the first time since installing the links and it handled just fine. I scaped the pegs and my boot heel a bit but nothing too bad or outta the norm I luv the new look.

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianM109R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post
    Before....

After....

Ok someone please explain to me how 2.25" bones appear to only be about 1/4" longer than stock bones, but yet the bike drops 2" or so I don't get it.

I ask because I assumed by how my bike sits in the rear that the previous owner must have installed about 1.5" bones. I have a set of 2.25" bones and I took everything apart and lined up the 2.25" bones over the bones on my bike (centered both bolts) and they appear to be exactly the same length. So does that mean my bike already has 2.25" bones on? I don't want to go through the work of removing & installing these new ones if it's what I already got on. You dig?

I just didn't think my rear end looked that low.

What do you experts think?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaRoller View Post
    Ok someone please explain to me how 2.25" bones appear to only be about 1/4" longer than stock bones, but yet the bike drops 2" or so I don't get it.

I ask because I assumed by how my bike sits in the rear that the previous owner must have installed about 1.5" bones. I have a set of 2.25" bones and I took everything apart and lined up the 2.25" bones over the bones on my bike (centered both bolts) and they appear to be exactly the same length. So does that mean my bike already has 2.25" bones on? I don't want to go through the work of removing & installing these new ones if it's what I already got on. You dig?

I just didn't think my rear end looked that low.

What do you experts think?
    Way I understand it GR is, Length is very critical on these . Like 1/16" = 1/2" of drop. Zoomer and papawill chime in I'm sure,,,,,, Mine are 2" and some with the 2 1/4 say mine looks lower, Different manufactures i guess and the way they measure things.

Last edited by Nemo; 01-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Maybe it has something to do with your rear suspension setting ?? I think each bones set are made different from each company, i have the Yana shiki 2" drop and they look more like 2.25" drop , so ...

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

GR, the change in length will be very slight from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 maybe a 16th. The suspension and the setup of the bike amplifies or magnifies this difference to the height of the rear assembly.

you would almost need a set of calipers or a very good eye to accurately see the difference between the two bones.

Put a pencil or another straight item through one end and hang both side by side. You may be able to see a slight difference in the positioning between second hole of the two bones at this point, but in order to get to this point you would actually have to take one off, which means that you might as well just change them anyways
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 01-29-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Very Active Member GeorgiaRoller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianM109R View Post
    GR, the change in length will be very slight from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 maybe a 16th. The suspension and the setup of the bike amplifies or magnifies this difference to the height of the rear assembly.

you would almost need a set of calipers or a very good eye to accurately see the difference between the two bones.

Put a pencil or another straight item through one end and hang both side by side. You may be able to see a slight difference in the positioning between second hole of the two bones at this point, but in order to get to this point you would actually have to take one off, which means that you might as well just change them anyways
    Thanks Dude! I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how that minute of a difference lowers it so much more. I'll probably go ahead and switch them out to be sure. Perhaps once I do that it will show that it's a 1/16" or a 1/8" different from what I got on my bike which stance wise always appeared to be about maybe what a 1.5" lower bone would look like to me.

Also thanks to Lucky06 for PM'ing me this link https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...lowering+bones It gives the measurements of the bones.

You guys are alright!
    Last edited by GeorgiaRoller; 01-29-2011 at 11:47 AM.

That link explains the difference very well. I guess the bottom line is that the new ones should be longer(edit, my bad) measuring the holes center to center. that will tell you if there is a difference for sure.

Thanks Dude! I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how that minute of a difference lowers it so much more. I'll probably go ahead and switch them out to be sure. Perhaps once I do that it will show that it's a 1/16" or a 1/8" different from what I got on my bike which stance wise always appeared to be about maybe what a 1.5" lower bone would look like to me.

Also thanks to Lucky06 for PM'ing me this link https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...lowering+bones It gives the measurements of the bones.

You guys are alright!
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 01-30-2011 at 01:39 PM.

This is an old chart that showed the amount of lowering for every incremental length changes. It's based on C50 bones but you get the idea.

I did these pics of the stock bones for some reason. I don't remember why...

Here are the dimensions:

Total length = 6.125" (155.575mm)
    Center to Center bolts = 4.4375" (112.7125mm)
    Width (Large End) = 1.3125" (33.3375mm)
    Offcenter (LE) = 1.0312" (26.192mm)
    Width (Small End) = 1.0625" (26.9875mm)
    Offcenter (SE) = .8125" (20.6375mm)

Comparison of stock to Jason Steel Bones...

Lowering is achieved by making the bones longer. If I calculated correctly, adding .625" (15.875mm) center to center will provide a 2.5" drop.
    -Del
    2006 VB M109R with a few MODs....

You guys are alright!
    GR, it's the difference between where the swingarm pivots, the suspension yoke attaches, and the axle location. It's a basic lever effect. Look under your bike and notice where the swingarm pivots and then where the links attach to the swingarm. Now look how far it is back to the rear wheel. It's at least a 8 to 1 ratio. So if the bones shove the axle up 1/4" where they sit, the axle is levered up 8 times that amount, or 2".

What was hard for me to grasp is why the bike gets lower as the bones get longer. The way I got that was looking at what the bones do, which is to move the swingarm up. What happens when the swingarm moves up? The wheel goes further under the fender and the bike sits lower. It seems simple once you start looking at it. They basically change the starting point of the suspension travel, which is why they really don't affect the ride. It still has the same travel, it just starts off at a different height.

And the other thing that took me a while to figure out is why the suspension moves so much for the shock to move so little. That has to do with the suspension yoke that the shock attaches to. It gives it almost exactly a 2-1 ratio, or the shock moves only 1" to get 2" of suspension travel. I watched how that happens while playing around with the air ride on it.

The more I think about it GR, you could probably just measure the existing bones from center to center on the middle of the attachment bolts, without removing the bones, by just using a tape measure, and getting down under the bike on your back. You would then compare that measurement with the new bones.

Might save you some work.
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 01-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Smile lower bones for 2010 black /orange

hi all we have the black /orange 2010 m109r just got 2'' bones from Barons awesome parts looks great took about 30 minutes to install
    Last edited by jlow; 02-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    hi all we have the black /orange 2010 m109r just got 2'' bones from Barons awesome parts looks great took about 30 minutes to install

Quote Originally Posted by jlow View Post
    30 mins? is that like a world record?

http://

I follow ur pics and I did it in 45min Thx

Default thanks a bunch bro !!!

followed step by step....i rate this as a "2 beer" job...took me about an hour but had to take a 10 minute break for a fecal evacuation...TMI ? hahahahahaha

excellent tutorial, took all the worry out of it...i must admit though, air tools came in handy cause i had to lay on the floor to do this and couldnt get good leverage in a few of the positions i needed to be in

Last edited by Nitrogary; 03-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.

I have my bike prepped and ready for my bones to get here! I'm a little too excited for this, but that's what happens in the winter up north..

Thanks Chris for all your help today
    2017 Boss with lots of mods to come.

No problem Gary, we need to figure out why you can't post any pics of your bike, since it looks awesome with the new chin and lowering bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudebwoy View Post
    Thanks Chris for all your help today

Easy as cake! No pics, but installed the cyclehouse 2.25 bones.

Thanks very much for the tutorial. I do have one question though.Once lowered do you have to change out the kick stand?

I drop 2.25" and still with the OEM kickstand, but have to be more careful .... nobody want to see the 9 on the side ...... believe me ....

Before and after pics ( lowering and some other mods )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	31883  

Wow , ca c'est de la Pipe , bonne décision ,
    plus beau que l'exhaust précédent

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Wow , ca c'est de la Pipe , bonne décision ,
    plus beau que l'exhaust précédent
    i really love that pipe, look and sound !!

Lowered my bike tonight and used this thread to do so. Great Thread!

I too used the 2.25" and had no problems with the shock. Just place the jack toward the front so the shock has some play up and down and was able to get bolt #3 out with no troubles.

I did notice that bolt #2 has a sleeve over it and if that sleeve is removed during disassembly you could risk a chance of knocking out some of the barrel bearings in there. If this happens dont be alarmed. Just clean the barrel bearing and grease if necessary and push it back into the race. Then carefully re-insert the sleeve and continue to reassemble the bike.

After riding the bike after the drop I feel as though I can feel the bumps a little more. Probably not but I was paying more attention during this ride. Also, turning seems slightly different too. On my slow turns I feel as if I have to either lean more or turn the wheel more to make the turns. Again, probably not but I was paying more attention this time.

Other than that....I am so glad I did this! I should have done this first thing when I purchased the bike. Great look and highly recommend this mod to anyone with a 9!

I hear ya, the look is just awesome. I had a bearing drop out too. Did the same, cleaned and greased and put it back in.

....I don't share the same feeling about cornering or anything related tho. Plus once I put the 160 up front it just seemed more stable during slow turns. I have more confidence now than I had before. (but I still ride like a grandpa!)

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!
    2008 M109R2
    280 Club
    10 in Rear - PM Torque Wheels