LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics

muhbeef

has anyone measured a before and after from the ground to the peg?
    Before this 9 I had a VFR and although the only time I've been on the 9 was to bring'r home, I noticed a BIG difference going around corners. I'd be concerned about scraping around corners. Do you guys have to really watch it while cornering? I wouldn't want that to be a constant potential problem.

...looks good in the garage tho! Looking fwd to the next few days now that it's my weekend

oh, and if I were to install a 300 kit down the road would the stock bones need to be reinstalled?

Thanks guys - AWESOME site!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mvnvltn View Post
    I dont recall having to remove the shock?

I should be getting my 2" lowering bones tomorrow. Had some free time, plus it calls for rain today, so I decided to remove the stock bones.
    I had my jack positioned to where the shock was not able to drop down far enough for the bolts through the fram to slide out. I ended up having to put a 4x4 and two 2x4's on the edge of the right side of the frame and the jack on the other side. (left kick stand down to pull jack out when lowered)
    After that, shock dropped down far enough for the bolts to slide right out.
    Removing stock bones was MUCH easier that I had expected. 20-30 mins for removal.
    Question about the sleeves. Do I remove just the inner part of the sleeve or the whole unit?
    Package should be here around noon tomorrow. Thinking the worst. I should have it done within two hours. Bit of a challange doing this solo. But doable. Plus you get to know and understand your bike a little more. Will post before and after pictures when complete.

muhbeef

if I were to install a 300 kit down the road would the stock bones need to be reinstalled?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by muhbeef View Post
    if I were to install a 300 kit down the road would the stock bones need to be reinstalled?
    no
    -Dave

muhbeef

ok ty ...thought those kits lowered it some after installed.
    thanks again for the reply :)

I have to say that this was one of the easiest mods I had done to my bike. After reading about the lining up the shock bolt I was a little concerned. I was able to control the jack speed and the bolt slipped right in.
    In all I got about a 2 1/4 drop. It was raining when I completed so I was not able to go for a ride to see if there was a difference.
    I wasn't able to use my sleeve from the stock bones either.

ok ty ...thought those kits lowered it some after installed.
    thanks again for the reply :)
    NO prob there's a few guys here running 300's lowered
    -Dave

muhbeef

hole-ee smokes guys, I'm a new 9 owner and knew that I'd scrape a peg here and there but I find that I'm constantly worried about grinding at most corners. I took er out today for my first long ride around the backroads loop I always have done on previous bikes and bout scared the who-who outta me when I got a boot full of asphalt!!
    I don't think I'll be lowering this one.

Default 3" bones

Looking for feedback on 3" bones before I install mine.
    I am 240lbs and worried that 3" may be a bit much , any experiences out there?

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chadcla View Post
    Looking for feedback on 3" bones before I install mine.
    I am 240lbs and worried that 3" may be a bit much , any experiences out there?

If you take corners and curves aggressively, you might have a problem with 3" drop.

Mine are 2 1/4 and I haven"t had a problem, except when I'm aggressively going around corners or tight curves.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Finished this job a couple of weeks ago with a 2 1/4" drop. It was pretty easy (because I have a compressor and air tools!). This is not what I would call a job ANYONE could do. It had some difficult parts. However, the end result is SICK! Pics coming!

Quote Originally Posted by NMclay View Post
    Finished this job a couple of weeks ago with a 2 1/4" drop. It was pretty easy (because I have a compressor and air tools!). This is not what I would call a job ANYONE could do. It had some difficult parts. However, the end result is SICK! Pics coming!
    I think if you have the basic tool experence and follow this thread they should not have that big of an issue. Just lining the bolt to the shock would be the hardest as most people on here have said. IMO

My point was that without Air Tools I would have been hosed. I tried to do it manually but I eventually had to break out the impact wrench. From there, it went OK.

K&N Filters, Debeavered, gutted stock pipes, Lowered 2.25". Suzuki Engine Guards, Suzuki Backrest, Irate Mesh Grill, Stebel Air Horn, Back Off Flashers, Polished Wheels, 250mm Rear, Kuryakyn foot pegs and shifter cover, Duck's Covers, ISO Grips

I went to walmart and picked up one of these babies for about $20 and the bone and shock bolts were very easy! Just make sure you get metric.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Four-way lug wrench.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	18453  

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Rider View Post
    I went to walmart and picked up one of these babies for about $20 and the bone and shock bolts were very easy! Just make sure you get metric.
    Now THAT is a great idea if you don't have air tools! makes the job much easier.

hole-ee smokes guys, I'm a new 9 owner and knew that I'd scrape a peg here and there but I find that I'm constantly worried about grinding at most corners. I took er out today for my first long ride around the backroads loop I always have done on previous bikes and bout scared the who-who outta me when I got a boot full of asphalt!!
    I don't think I'll be lowering this one.
    That's what worries me to. I love to corner to much and have a hard time telling myself to take it easy on the leaning. I've scraped way to much and have hit my exhaust header on the ground a few times as it is. But I really LOVE the way the lowered bike looks. I don't know what I want to do.
    Home made De-beaver, A & R 6K HID, Factory Pro Evo Shift STAR, Suzuki Engine Guard, JSD-3M, Road Burner Velocity Pro 2-1 exhaust, PCIII, Custom Speedo face, Suzuki Billet Engine Cover, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Smart Man's Grill, Chrome Brake Reservoir, Cobra backrest and rack, Cobra Drive Shaft cover, Rifle Windshield and lowers, Much more to come...

I feel the same way. The bike looks awesome with it lowered but I think it will make me slow down even more ...which is probably a good thing!
    Still on the fence.

Default Is the suspension stiffer after lowering??

So after your 9 is lowered is the ride then stiffer? That would be my assumption. I'm on the fence with holding off until I have the coin for air-ride as apposed to getting bones because I'm impatient.

If the suspension becomes hard then an air-ride may be a better route for me.

Quote Originally Posted by train View Post
    So after your 9 is lowered is the ride then stiffer? That would be my assumption. I'm on the fence with holding off until I have the coin for air-ride as apposed to getting bones because I'm impatient.

If the suspension becomes hard then an air-ride may be a better route for me.
    I went with the cycle house 1.5 inch bones that Pynikal was getting rid of and IMO they ride just as smooth as stock. But as far as a more extreme drop goes I can't comment. I love mine though.

You can run, but you will just die tired..............

2 1/4 rides the same as stock. I have not changed the factory ride setting, and i have had no issues at all with bottoming out.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianM109R View Post
    2 1/4 rides the same as stock. I have not changed the factory ride setting, and i have had no issues at all with bottoming out.
    have had mine lowered at 2 1/4 for over a year with no problems and have done a couple of bikes highly recommend air tools, an extra hand to help lift rear tire and don't forget to grease (marine grease) and torque bolts
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

Subscribin! My bones should be here Monday!!

Just finished Installing my 2 inch bones .
    found a tip , after you have removed your left bone
    run a 6 inch extension on 1/4 ratchet ,through the holes
    of the left side bone holder ,stick 17mm box on inner right side
    bolt of the right bone ,and you have a straight line to apply
    force to remove right bone , I did it with a 3/4 closed key
    on the outside of right bone .
    Everything else is quite easy with the right tool .
    ............ the new look
    Thanks Canadian M109R good tutorial.
    Grease , Locktite ,
    torque at; 50 lbs ,widest bone end
    32.5 lbs , shock end
    79,5 lbs , narrow end of bones (extremely long bolt
    did it by the seat of my pants.
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 06-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.

great write up! - did mine the other day with help from this article

went off without a hitch - did a 250mile ride last night, can't wait for the 160/260 to get here!
    Terry

07 109R - black is better...

I just installed the CD 1.75 drop bones and put the shock setting at 5, waiting on my 280 to test it out... Even a one inch drop looks better then stock, when cash is better I plan on an air ride...
    Phat & Low " Thats How I Roll ".

Just dropped mine 2inchs (didn't have any grease for the bones pin but I think I am ok) Very simple and straight forward, I did have to remove the shock it only took 5 mins and the rest is history! Thanks Canadianm109

Modins Desease is the number one cause of Brokeness!

Just installed my 2 1/4 inch bones this mornign with the help of this tutorial was a piece of cake. Some great info on this sight!
    2006 M109R Custom Paint, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280/160 Tires, Lowered 2.25", Corbin Seat, Modded Hard Krome Exhaust, Gregg's Side Plate, Rivco Risers, and more...

I think all 9's should be lowered. They look soo much better this way!

Thanks Canadian and all other ideas.
    Hey Canadian, Next time be sure and get your hands dirty before taking a pic with a part in your hand.

Very Active Member dagronmaster's Avatar

Did any of you lower your front forks like mine are?? It came that way.
    Hey! Hey You!! Move!! I can't see my bike.