LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LOWERING BONES INSTALL- detailed pics

Very Active Member

I have 2 inch in the garage waiting for me! ill use this for sure. Thanks for the writ eup and pics... I hope 2 inches does not take me to low ... 330 lbs

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Bike looks MUCH better dba777.

Default Best Compromise?

I'm getting the impression that 2" is probably the least problematic drop? I live in an area with a lot of twisties, am I going to be scraping all the time if I drop below 2"?
    "
    Never underestimate old age and treachery"

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

depends on how you ride. I have no problem in the twisties with the lowering job, but corners or tight curves taken aggressively could be a problem.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

can someone list the torque specs for the bolts so i know how far to tighten when re-installing? thanks
    It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Thanks, I'll need this info this weekend for my 2.25 drop
    Who needs a Suzuki Shop Manual when you have great members on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    thank you kind sir have my 2" bones installed just need to tighten everything up
    It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Very Active Member reefpointbar's Avatar

Default Lowering Bones Install

Hey guys, I just installed 2.25" bones on Bigtigga's 2007 LE (my personal guinnea pig), and I used a trick some of you may benefit from. I also was having trouble getting that right side nut and bolt off the top of the stock bone, (actual trouble is access) and here's what I did. I slid a 12" 3/8 drive extension bit through the holes that the top of the stock bone was in on the left side after I took it off (top = bushing end). Once it cleared both holes, I placed the socket on and slid it onto the bolt. I held the nut on the other side with a crescent wrench and gave the ratchet some manly pressure and it came off just nice. I actually broke it loose with a regular long handled ratched, and then used an impact wrench to get it off the rest of the way, and then did the same thing to put the new bone on. Worked like a charm! All of your tricks really helped me out for a nice easy install, so I figured I would offer up what I did and maybe someone will try it and see the benefit. I agree that getting the jack as far forward as possible is key for when the shock drops down out of your way. Now I'll have to order my pair for my 9, and I should have it done in 1/2 the time! Keep the rubber side down!

2008 Black
    Always a work in progress.....

A good solution to getting that bolt off. That right side nut being overtight is definitely a common problem.

Thanks to all of the info in this post !! My 2 1/4 lowering bones are done ! Very helpful . I just finished it up and it looks great . Very easy to do . That 3/8 ext. through the L/s hole trick to get the r/s bolt, worked great . Had to break the r/s bolt free with a freakin 1/2" breaker bar !!

Very Active Member need more power's Avatar

I realize this will sound rediculous to most of you guys but I will suffer the embarrassment if I can get some info. I cannot understand how installing lowering bones does not affect the angle of the drive shaft.

the drive shaft moves with the wheel as you go over bumps. There is no problem lowering it with bones.

just think of yourself going over a permanent bump if it makes you feel better about adding bones and driveshaft angle.

thanks for the post

Just glad to be able to give a little back to my fellow 9ers.

Default Thanks CanadianM109R

Just wanted to say thanks for this step by step instruction, great pictures and 3hrs total to swap out my stock for 2.75" lower, thats inculding cleaning up and spin down the street.

Giles - Houston
    Best Part the license plate......BOLOCS......2007 limited, K&N's, lowered 2.75", Kuryakan lever's kickstand, grips and pegs. Shaynes side mount, debeavered, Stebel Horn, Drilled pipes, EBC pads, Blue LED's, Blue LED Headlight.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianM109R View Post
    Just glad to be able to give a little back to my fellow 9ers.
    Your how-to made it so simple to do, that I had wondered if I had forgotten something. Thanks for the pics and write up, Canadian!!

Very Active Member Square Rounder's Avatar

Despite the discussion on the topic, and doubling the install time trying to find a position that worked, I still had to drop the shock.

I just could find no position where the shock was out of the way for the lower link bolts to back out far enough to remove the link.

I had planned to remove the shock before reading this thread, but seeing here that you did not need to, I spent a half hour trying to avoid a 30 second addition.

Other than resisting dropping the shock, the install was as easy as changing oil.

This is an awesome and easy to follow write up on how to install the lowering bones. I used the yanashiki 2" which dropped it more like 2.5". Some lessons I learned while doing this...

1. The amount of Budweiser consumed is directly proportional to the amount of time it takes to complete the install.

2. A square nose shovel makes a great lever to lift the rear tire up in order to align your bolts.

3. An Crescent wrench is a poor replacement for the wrench missing out of your metric set.

4. The rubber mallet is your friend.

5. I will probably never be as strong as an impact wrench.

Very Active Member BiggerStretch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-Bomb View Post
    This is an awesome and easy to follow write up on how to install the lowering bones. I used the yanashiki 2" which dropped it more like 2.5". Some lessons I learned while doing this...

1. The amount of Budweiser consumed is directly proportional to the amount of time it takes to complete the install.

2. A square nose shovel makes a great lever to lift the rear tire up in order to align your bolts.

3. An Crescent wrench is a poor replacement for the wrench missing out of your metric set.

4. The rubber mallet is your friend.

5. I will probably never be as strong as an impact wrench.

all very true ...

This has been the official view of the voices in my head.

Thank you very much for this how to. Just installed the 2" on mine and it took about 2 1/2 hours. (Wish I would have placed the jack just a little farther forward the first time.) Also wanted to say how much help this site is. Everytime I have a question about most anything on the bike the answer can usually be found here.

BIG THANKS to Canadian109 and Bigpapa on the how to for putting on the lowering bones. I installed 1 1/2" bones I got from Irish4life and this how to was great. I ended up removing the shock bolt but lining it back up was easy with the jack. Breaking the bolts loose took the longest time of anything. My hands are sore from breaking the nuts loose and probably will be sore in other places tomorrow. Thanks again for a great how to and all the comments from the group.

The bolts on the exhaust side are a double pain, tight and hard to get into without rounding off the nut. As I predicted my body is sore today from all the pulling, pushing and contortions my body did last night. Getting ready to go for a short ride and see how different it feels.

Went for a short ride and loved it. My only question is the bike seem a lot lower that 1 1/2" that the bones were. Was comparing before and after pictures, sure seems like it lowered it more. Just a little concerned!!

Don't worry, I have the 2 1/4 bones and I have never had a scraping problem with the tire in the wheelwell.

At 1 1/2, you are totally fine. Just enjoy the new look!

Quote Originally Posted by jglass4763 View Post
    Went for a short ride and loved it. My only question is the bike seem a lot lower that 1 1/2" that the bones were. Was comparing before and after pictures, sure seems like it lowered it more. Just a little concerned!!

Quick question regarding the bones removal. When I take these bolts out the rear end isn't going to drop right? It may be a dumb question but I damn sure don't want anyone to get hurt in the process because I didn't ask people in the know. Thanks in advance.
    "The pursuit of perfection leads to madness but the pursuit of destiny leads to triumph."

does anyone know know if i can do this with out ligfting the rear tire?? i have a lift table that the bike is tore down on and have no way of lifting the rear tire. i will be putting air ride on very soon and need to get the stock bones put back on.

i thought that maybe with the shock out i could get the bones out without getting the rear tire off the ground. any help would be great.

Great post, doing mine very very soon, thats why i love this site !!!!!
    Free health care can save your life, but que until you die....

Just finished installing 3" lowering bones. Used a pallet lifter to lift the bike, worked excellent :)

Quote Originally Posted by pynikal View Post
    does anyone know know if i can do this with out ligfting the rear tire?? i have a lift table that the bike is tore down on and have no way of lifting the rear tire. i will be putting air ride on very soon and need to get the stock bones put back on.

i thought that maybe with the shock out i could get the bones out without getting the rear tire off the ground. any help would be great.
    Maybe you could slip a piece of lumber or such under the bike but over your lifting table, support it on both sides, and then lower the table, which would leave the bike resting on the lumber with the rear tire in the air.

thanks for posting this. helped me out a ton for putting on my stock bones for my air ride!

THANKS!!!