Handle bars

Thread: Handle bars

Default Handle bars

is there any theory on the difference in rise. pullback and width of handle bars ?
    pros and cons on going higher or having more pullback or even wider from stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Two main reasons for sure are Comfort and Personal Preference.

Depending on the size of the rider, bars may need to rise or pull back more to create more comfortable ergonomics for longer rides. for myself for example, I found the a +2" pullback with +0" rise would be more comfortable for me as a 6'0" rider, allowing me to roll slightly back on my butt cheeks. Others find the opposite, enjoy "apes/mini apes" or even like the Stock setup. Although there are no doubt some minor effects to the physics of steering/riding the bike, I am not aware of this ever being the actual reason to change the dimensions of your bars.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Two main reasons for sure are Comfort and Personal Preference.

Depending on the size of the rider, bars may need to rise or pull back more to create more comfortable ergonomics for longer rides. for myself for example, I found the a +2" pullback with +0" rise would be more comfortable for me as a 6'0" rider, allowing me to roll slightly back on my butt cheeks. Others find the opposite, enjoy "apes/mini apes" or even like the Stock setup. Although there are no doubt some minor effects to the physics of steering/riding the bike, I am not aware of this ever being the actual reason to change the dimensions of your bars.
    Same for me . The +2/+0 saved my back I'm 5'11"

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I love the look of drag bars and forward controls. Unfortunately for me, it puts a lot of stress in my lower back and neck. Hands go numb and back nags me for days after riding only a few hundred miles. Steering is classic counter steer.

I changed to 17 inch apes with 1.5 inch risers and am much more comfortable. I pitched the bars so I lean slightly forward while sitting erect. I found that counter steering reduced significantly and instead I use my body to lean into curves. It became second nature almost immediately.

I put a small wind screen on the front to take the pressure off my chest and still get the wind in my face that I love.

I've done single day rides of 1250 miles without undue fatigue.

Im a big guy with arms like an orangutan, so I went with a negative bar set up with a slight rise. I think it looks good and gives me a bit of forward lean, taking pressure of my tail bone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73083092_451732259027860_3262754747735605248_n.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	386166

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I am 6'2". I went with -1 risers and have the bars rolled down as far as I can get them without damaging the paint on the tank at full lock. I also have the full cut gel seat which scoots my azz back two inches. SO with that, and the negative riser set up, I really have a nice lean into the bars. Never bothers ma at all. The wind actually buoys me up at speed. Been thinking of buying another set of -1 risers, and modifying them to move the bars into the next forward hole. Cut them in the middle of the next forward hole, make the hole large enough for the bars, drill new holes for the caps, relocate the tach mounts. Maybe a project next spring.

You can tell the -1 risers from the =2 because they only have three holes, where the =2 have four.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3936.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	386168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010001_zpsbrj18yl5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	386170  
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

I am 6'-4" with long arms and legs. I find that the stock bars are comfortable, which is one reason why I have two Nines. I have modified the risers and bars on my 1800F VTX to give me more forward lean to take some of my weight off my butt. The bars are wider than stock, and that gives me more leverage, but at the same time it is a longer reach when the bars are locked one way or the other.

The test for a correct fit it the ability to ride reasonable long distances without pain in any body part.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I am 6'2". I went with -1 risers and have the bars rolled down as far as I can get them without damaging the paint on the tank at full lock. I also have the full cut gel seat which scoots my azz back two inches. SO with that, and the negative riser set up, I really have a nice lean into the bars. Never bothers ma at all. The wind actually buoys me up at speed. Been thinking of buying another set of -1 risers, and modifying them to move the bars into the next forward hole. Cut them in the middle of the next forward hole, make the hole large enough for the bars, drill new holes for the caps, relocate the tach mounts. Maybe a project next spring.

You can tell the -1 risers from the =2 because they only have three holes, where the =2 have four.
    Bet you look pretty badazz!

Back in the day, I rode a GS550 and after that was totaled, a GS750. On long rides, I'd hang my heels off the passenger pegs and "ride the wind" on my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkFan View Post
    Bet you look pretty badazz!

Back in the day, I rode a GS550 and after that was totaled, a GS750. On long rides, I'd hang my heels off the passenger pegs and "ride the wind" on my chest.
    There's this restaurant/bar I go to all the time. One day I was riding past it on the Nine. Later that night, stopped in. Bartender told me he had seen me and recognized it was me by the aggressive forward lean compared to other bikes. So I guess so. The long risers, for me, would make it like I was riding a Barcalounger. No thanks.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger