Stebel horn mounting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46

Thread: Stebel horn mounting

  1. #31
    Very Active Member Sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    I just purchased an air horn with relay and I'm not clear why I can't mount it under the right side cover and keep all the wiring local to that area.
    When you hit the horn button, where is the existing relay? Is it by the battery or up in the headlight nacelle?
    My preference is to add as little wire as possible
    I have a Denali horn under the right side cover. The relay is required, as there isn't one for the stock horn.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    I just purchased an air horn with relay and I'm not clear why I can't mount it under the right side cover and keep all the wiring local to that area.
    When you hit the horn button, where is the existing relay? Is it by the battery or up in the headlight nacelle?
    My preference is to add as little wire as possible
    There is no relay for the stock horn.

    If you look at the wiring schematic for the M109R you will see that 12vdc + is applied directly to horn from the same circuit as the running lights and 12vdc - (Negative) is run though the horn switch.

    When you press the horn button it closes the switch and completes the 12vdc - (Negative) portion of the stock horn circuit.

    Here is a link to the service manual if you don't have it yet.

    http://www.iocr.ro/tech_zone/pdf_files/VZR1800.pdf

    BCS

  4. #33
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Winter Florida, Summer Kentucky
    Posts
    537

    Default

    I used the original relays with all air horns that I've mounted. They are not used often and when they are used it is hopefully for a short duration. It's a good idea to leave the original horn connected to the circuit for redundancy.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #34
    Radio Active Member rynosback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Traveling America
    Posts
    27,354

    Default

    I keep the stock horn in the loop on the plug and play harness. This way if the relay or horn were ever to crap out you would at least I get the meep meep sound. You do not hear the stock horn when the Stebel blows.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

  7. #35
    Radio Active Member rynosback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Traveling America
    Posts
    27,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I used the original relays with all air horns that I've mounted. They are not used often and when they are used it is hopefully for a short duration. It's a good idea to leave the original horn connected to the circuit for redundancy.
    Read above your post. There is no relay in the stock horn circuit.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

  8. #36
    Active Member Luap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    There is no relay for the stock horn.

    If you look at the wiring schematic for the M109R you will see that 12vdc + is applied directly to horn from the same circuit as the running lights and 12vdc - (Negative) is run though the horn switch.

    When you press the horn button it closes the switch and completes the 12vdc - (Negative) portion of the stock horn circuit.

    Here is a link to the service manual if you don't have it yet.

    http://www.iocr.ro/tech_zone/pdf_files/VZR1800.pdf

    BCS
    Thanks for the helpful response.

    I'm thinking of possibly connecting my horn to the "Flash to Pass" circuit and leaving the stock horn alone. The idea being that as you sound your loud horn the high beam also comes on for a visual awakening as well as an aural one.

    Now I know someone's first thought will be "that won't work well because your instinct is to thumb the horn button, not the flash to pass button". My thought on that is that worst case scenario the factory horn is still going to sound, and it wouldn't take long to get used to using a different button.

    Another plus is that you can still "meep meep" when you just want a friendlier horn sound such as beeping hello to someone or nudging someone on their phone after the light turns green.

    Thoughts?
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

  9. #37
    Active Member Luap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    Thanks for the helpful response.

    I'm thinking of possibly connecting my horn to the "Flash to Pass" circuit and leaving the stock horn alone. The idea being that as you sound your loud horn the high beam also comes on for a visual awakening as well as an aural one.

    Now I know someone's first thought will be "that won't work well because your instinct is to thumb the horn button, not the flash to pass button". My thought on that is that worst case scenario the factory horn is still going to sound, and it wouldn't take long to get used to using a different button.

    Another plus is that you can still "meep meep" when you just want a friendlier horn sound such as beeping hello to someone or nudging someone on their phone after the light turns green.

    Thoughts?
    Just for reference here is the requisite wiring diagram
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	385010
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

  10. #38
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    Thanks for the helpful response.

    I'm thinking of possibly connecting my horn to the "Flash to Pass" circuit and leaving the stock horn alone. The idea being that as you sound your loud horn the high beam also comes on for a visual awakening as well as an aural one.

    Now I know someone's first thought will be "that won't work well because your instinct is to thumb the horn button, not the flash to pass button". My thought on that is that worst case scenario the factory horn is still going to sound, and it wouldn't take long to get used to using a different button.

    Another plus is that you can still "meep meep" when you just want a friendlier horn sound such as beeping hello to someone or nudging someone on their phone after the light turns green.

    Thoughts?
    You might want to think that through a bit more......

    If you do that then your air horn will also sound the entire time your high beam light is on.

    Not to mention even if it would work the circuitry for the flash to pass button is all contained in the switch assembly on the handle bars and it would be difficult to get an additional wire ran into that switch assembly.......there is not much room in there to work with.

    BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:42 PM.

  11. #39
    Active Member Luap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    You might want to think that through a bit more......

    If you do that then your air horn will also sound the entire time your high beam light is on.


    BCS

    That's a very good point (and funny thinking about it)
    Could be a show-stopper on my master plan lol
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

  12. #40
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    I deleted my last message about it is still possible to turn on the high beam when you blow your air horn if you wanted to.

    While it can be done it is a little more complex than what I had originally laid out.

    I did not take into consideration that we would need to turn off the low beam before energizing the high beam.

    This can still be done but its going to take more effort than I believe you will want to put into it.

    And if we are going to take it that far lets make the light strobe from high to low beam rapidly instead of just turning on the high beam.......that way we really look like we know what we are doing.

    If you think you want to spend the time, money and effort to accomplish this let me know and I can work with you on it and make you diagram.

    BCS

  13. #41
    Active Member Luap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    I deleted my last message about it is still possible to turn on the high beam when you blow your air horn if you wanted to.

    While it can be done it is a little more complex than what I had originally laid out.

    I did not take into consideration that we would need to turn off the low beam before energizing the high beam.

    This can still be done but its going to take more effort than I believe you will want to put into it.

    And if we are going to take it that far lets make the light strobe from high to low beam rapidly instead of just turning on the high beam.......that way we really look like we know what we are doing.

    If you think you want to spend the time, money and effort to accomplish this let me know and I can work with you on it and make you diagram.

    BCS
    That would be a very cool safety feature.
    Roughly how much $$ are you thinking?
    I'm pretty sure if we developed this idea into a practical and affordable solution, a lot of members would be interested in it.
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

  14. #42
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    You might want to think that through a bit more......

    If you do that then your air horn will also sound the entire time your high beam light is on.

    Not to mention even if it would work the circuitry for the flash to pass button is all contained in the switch assembly on the handle bars and it would be difficult to get an additional wire ran into that switch assembly.......there is not much room in there to work with.

    BCS
    LOL We did something like that to a friends car in Highschool. We wired the horn up to his brake lights . It had a in-line switch so we could activate it once we were driving. That way he could get past the start up sequence of having his foot on the brake to shift into drive lol. Then it would honk with every tap of the brake and honk constantly while stopped at lights. Ah to be young and dumb again lol.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  15. #43
    Active Member Luap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    LOL We did something like that to a friends car in Highschool. We wired the horn up to his brake lights . It had a in-line switch so we could activate it once we were driving. That way he could get past the start up sequence of having his foot on the brake to shift into drive lol. Then it would honk with every tap of the brake and honk constantly while stopped at lights. Ah to be young and dumb again lol.
    2019 M109R B.O.S.S. red/black
    MODS: LED signals, Integrated tail light, Luap hole-saw mod, axle mounted plate, no beaver, carbon fiber look tank bra, dual air horn, black spiked grips, "bar end key" mod, drink holder :), more to come

  16. #44
    Very Active Member Sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    Another plus is that you can still "meep meep" when you just want a friendlier horn sound such as beeping hello to someone or nudging someone on their phone after the light turns green.

    Thoughts?
    THIS, is one of the main reasons I installed the air horn. Those texters do not deserve a friendly nudge. The looks on their faces when I blast them is priceless. I give them a short blast if we aren't moving and a long one if in motion.

  17. #45
    Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    That would be a very cool safety feature.
    Roughly how much $$ are you thinking?
    I'm pretty sure if we developed this idea into a practical and affordable solution, a lot of members would be interested in it.
    Something plug and play already exist on the market for less money than what I was looking at doing would cost.


    http://www.signaldynamics.com/plugandplay

    BCS

    EDIT: Although I need to look into this a bit further as well.
    It says it regulates your incandescent bulb from 30% to 100% several times a second. (Not switches from low to high beam several times a second)
    So not sure this will work with LED lamps or not. (What I had in mind will work with either, but will cost about double by the time all is said and done)
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:41 PM.

  18. #46
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Winter Florida, Summer Kentucky
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Read above your post. There is no relay in the stock horn circuit.
    I was referring to the original relays that come with the horns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •