Oil coming out n/s air filter

Thread: Oil coming out n/s air filter

Default Oil coming out n/s air filter

I've just had a good blast out and come to a stop at a friends and seen milky oil dripping out of n/s air filter and splashes all down the side of the bike!! The bike has trumpet cone filters both side the o/s is dry ...ANY idea Please

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Oil out of the air filter normally means it is too full. Not sure why it would seem milky and to be honest not sure what n/s is either. Near side maybe but typically the oil would come out the left side.

Yes gear side ...the water is clear, oil is clear and engine sounds fine ..I'm just baffled !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Is this bike new to you or have you had it for awhile? Slightly overfilling the oil makes it puke out the filter. If the bike is new to you there is an "interesting" process for checking it. You can search the forum for a lot of posts and the shop manual.
    Last edited by UVATom; 03-22-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Also welcome to the forum. There is a ton of info here and lots of people willing to help.

Yes I've had it about 4 weeks but checked oil water etc and all levels ok ...only topped up water

This one gets a little off subject about oil type but has basically all the info needed.

M109 Oil and filter change - per M109 service manual https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=127235

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbroomy View Post
    Yes I've had it about 4 weeks but checked oil water etc and all levels ok ...only topped up water
    Its highly possible that it may have been filled with too much oil before you purchased it. Now, you’ll need to clean up the oil mess all over your bike, clean or replace air filters, and possibly drain all of the oil from the bike and refill it to make sure your oil level is filled according to the manual, which is 3.6 to 3.8 quarts maximum.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 03-22-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

You can also pick up a small syringe from any feed store and pull oil out from the fill port instead of draining and refilling. (Just discard the needle, you will not need it)
    I forget the CC size that fits perfectly into the hole and is just the right length but I have used this method in the past to remove oil when over filling and have one in my tool box for just this reason

BCS

So I've took everything and cleaned up everything oil level is on max so a little ride in morning ..fingers crossed ..thank you all

Default Been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbroomy View Post
    I've just had a good blast out and come to a stop at a friends and seen milky oil dripping out of n/s air filter and splashes all down the side of the bike!! The bike has trumpet cone filters both side the o/s is dry ...ANY idea Please
    Bigroomy, welcome aboard!

The same thing happened to me right after I purchased my 06 Beast. After some research here on the forum. I found out that the proper way to check the engine oil is called the 15 and 5 rule. The bike has to run for 15 minutes and then sit for 5 minutes before the oil level can be correctly checked!

I have lived by this rule since my first "overfill" and have not had a problem since.

Make sure and go specifically by the manual for the amount of oil needed when changing the oil and filter and you should be fine.

Good Luck!

You actually run for 15 mins and only have to wait about 3 mins with the bike sitting straight up and level on a block. The bike's ride height will determine the thickness of the block.
    Last edited by UVATom; 03-26-2020 at 06:01 PM.