M109 Rider Forums banner

Review of Pro-Motion clutch cable

12K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  RevRon 
#1 ·
Alright, about 5000 miles ago the stock clutch cable broke and I replaced it with a Pro-Motion piece with the steal braided housing. Why? Because it looked cool! I ran the new stock length braided cable on the outside of the engine mount like everyone here suggested. In less than 500 miles that one broke. I replaced it with a +3 Pro-Motion. That one broke 9 days ago. I sucked up the need for a "pretty" cable and ordered the stock replacement direct from Suzuki. Wow what a difference. I looked at the barrels and how they were mounted. The Pro-Motion barrels are crimped on! That's right they are just pressed onto the cable and that is exactly where both Pro-Motion cable have failed. The actual internal cable of the Suzuki part is Teflon coated for smooth actuation and zero binding. The Pro-Motion cable is just a plain steal cable in a housing and the actuation was like doing grip exercises with each pull.

I have the stock replacement cable from Suzuki installed now. The difference in pull is amazingly light. for anyone looking at the Pro-Motion for a replacement cable I would highly recommend against it. I wasted $150 (including shipping) on two cables that didn't last for anything and didn't work very well. Go with the stock replacement and if you just have to have the steal braided look get some steal braided loom and install it over the stock cable.

Anyone have a difference experience with Pro-Motion? Let's hear it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Alright, about 5000 miles ago the stock clutch cable broke and I replaced it with a Pro-Motion piece with the steal braided housing. Why? Because it looked cool! I ran the new stock length braided cable on the outside of the engine mount like everyone here suggested. In less than 500 miles that one broke. I replaced it with a +3 Pro-Motion. That one broke 9 days ago. I sucked up the need for a "pretty" cable and ordered the stock replacement direct from Suzuki. Wow what a difference. I looked at the barrels and how they were mounted. The Pro-Motion barrels are crimped on! That's right they are just pressed onto the cable and that is exactly where both Pro-Motion cable have failed. The actual internal cable of the Suzuki part is Teflon coated for smooth actuation and zero binding. The Pro-Motion cable is just a plain steal cable in a housing and the actuation was like doing grip exercises with each pull.

I have the stock replacement cable from Suzuki installed now. The difference in pull is amazingly light. for anyone looking at the Pro-Motion for a replacement cable I would highly recommend against it. I wasted $150 (including shipping) on two cables that didn't last for anything and didn't work very well. Go with the stock replacement and if you just have to have the steal braided look get some steal braided loom and install it over the stock cable.

Anyone have a difference experience with Pro-Motion? Let's hear it!
In most recent years, your experience between the two is all that I've come to expect. I'm sorry to hear you wasted your time and money. I think a few folks here have had luck out of the Motion-Pro cables but that's few and far between...to this day I have not replaced my factory clutch cable and due to what others have experienced here, have (2) stock, replacement cables in case that day comes. I have approximately 20,000 miles on my 2007 M109R LE which I realize is a little low for those who have had cables break on them but mine has ALWAYS been well adjusted and to be honest, after re-adjusting the play from the day I bought the bike (and possibly one time after due to clutch plate exchange), I've never had to adjust my cable.

#6 ·
Never had the cable you mentioned, but did have the original Suzuki cable on mine break around 20,000 miles and seven years. Did not break, lower barrel pulled off the cable nice and clean. And btw, my original 06 cable did not have the white teflon sheath on the cable, just bare cable in housing. The new cable I installed has the teflon and feels 100% better than the original did. Also the spare that now resides under the seat has this same coating.

#7 ·
I have the +3 motion pro and it's not crimped, it's leaded like the factory cable. However, I bought mine a few years ago. Maybe they have changed. It has a plastic liner just like the original cable.

Barnett cables had the same problem. They used crimped ends and it created a stress riser on the wire at that point. Lots of those broke.

You might also want to check your adjustment. It needs to have enough slack that when you romp on the motor there's still a slight but of free play at the lever. If the lever is tight against the perch when you romp on it, it's too tight.

#8 ·
I had a barnett, and a Motion Pro. I"m back to stock cable. Barnett lasted about 18,000 miles, Motion Pro lasted less than that. Stock cable, rerouted, and I Made a funnel out of masking tape and poured motor oil into the cable end to lube it. Pulls like butter, no more sore hands from shifting.

-Josh

#12 ·
I have been through a few +2 and +3 motion pro cables and they are junk in my opinion. They have never snapped, but I could never seem to get them adjusted right. After a while they would start to bind up and get very stiff. I then realized that the bend in the bottom is longer than the barnett and it hits the frame. I have a backup barnett +2 and every time it is on the bike, butter smooth. As soon as I get a motion pro on...horrible.

I actually pulled off my +2 everything and went back to stock because I was tired of dealing with it. I have stock brake lines, risers, throttle and clutch now. The brakes are not as good so going to replace them with stainless black lines.

#16 ·
My Barnett +2 or +3 (I forget which) is years old and still going strong. I have a backup in case it ever fails. Proper adjustment and lubrication is critical for preserving your clutch cable.

#18 ·
Keith if you ordered direct from Motion Pro y ou stand much better chance i paid for like a over month ago on Ebay from HCC cycles in Texas. but they keep saying its at with MotionPro. I am gonna cancel my order today.

i got the galfer brake set and motion pro throttle cable hopefully i am in safe zone of them not breaking i should have asked here before. gonan try with barnet for clutch as soon as i get refund.

#19 ·
Keith if you ordered direct from Motion Pro y ou stand much better chance i paid for like a over month ago on Ebay from HCC cycles in Texas. but they keep saying its at with MotionPro. I am gonna cancel my order today.

i got the galfer brake set and motion pro throttle cable hopefully i am in safe zone of them not breaking i should have asked here before. gonan try with barnet for clutch as soon as i get refund.
Barnett will not make you a clutch cable for our bike unless you buy a harley lever.

#25 · (Edited)
there you go Keith,

i wanted to go with blue but went with galfers stainless instead

i am thinking of coloured sleeve over on these if i do decide to change colours.

http://www.apexbrakes.com/custom.asp

His name is Raymond Chan. they dont have t fitting but i thought id use my old one along with these.

:bigthumbsup:

#26 ·
I have a Motion Pro +12" cable. Had to go with the excess length cause of the 14" apes I recently installed. The first lasted about 3 months. Reason was me, not the cable. I routed it wrong coming up behind the radiator fairing and out from behind the headlight.

Installed the replacement, routed it like the stocker was, with the exception of the motor mount. Smooth clutch now. We'll see how long it lasts.

#27 ·
I have the stock cable and can clutch my 9 with just two fingers I don't have any risers maybe that's adding to everyone's cable problems. It seems a lot of people with risers are having cable issues My bike clutches great and shifting is extremely smooth now it only has 2900 miles so it just getting broke in. I just recently changed out my levers and the cable showed no signs of wear at all. I ll probably buy me a spare stock cable just for insurance since so many have had clutch cable issues.

#28 ·
Hello Folks,
-I have received 3" over cables from Barnett(throttle push/pull and clutch). When I initally spoke with them I was told they no longer produced a clutch cable for the 9 because the Suzuki lever caused failure at the barrel joint. While the lady was checking to see if they had the throttle cables in stock she came across a memo stating that Barnett would supply me with a cable if I would purchase their HD configured lever and I agreed. With exchange rates, shipping and taxes to Canada for 3 cables and a highly polished lever I paid $150 CND. Our dollar ain't a dollar any more. The clutch cable seems particularly well made with a well coated inner.
-My 2 cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.