New Harbor Freight Lift warning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Harbor Freight Lift warning

Exclamation New Harbor Freight Lift warning

I saw this posted over on the VMax site. Here is the info that was posted, FWIW.

It appears that the supplier of the lift has changed. The original lift is part number 68892. The new lift is part number 69904. The new lift is proving to be structurally unsafe. It has a main beam that is "L" shaped. The foot of the L is on the bottom. The new stop bar is a hollow tube. When the lift is lowered onto the stop bar and the weight of the load is placed against the main beam the tube bends and the main frame deforms. Down goes the load. It would do no good to replace the stop bar with one of solid steel. The main beam would still bend, even worse.

The original lift, 68892, has a "C" channel main beam and a solid steel stop bar. Much stronger. Mine is the older unit and has held Venture Royals, Royale Star Ventures, full dress Harley's, and Goldwings. It is 2 years old now with no problems.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48993

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    ~Frank Zappa

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have the older as well and never an issue. Matter of fact the bike is on it now all the way up. It sat on that lift most of last winter so I coud tinker when I wanted. Thanks for the heads up, sure someone here has one of those new ones.
    Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

I was just thinking about buying one. I guess I'll hold off for now...

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    ~Frank Zappa

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    I think I would if I were you. Just more cheap Chinese chit.
    Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

Thanks for posting pete. I almost pulled the trigger last weekend because it was on sale for $299. Glad I changed my mind and bought a husky rollout toolbox instead. I'll have to go around the corner and take a good look at the one in their store to see what kind of setup it has.

Very Active Member

I think I read the same thing in the reviews on their website. I was doing a search for lifts and two showed up, both the same price but different item numbers. I noticed the reviews had one rated much better than the other, and the item that was mentioned was the stop bar was designed differently.

Looks like an easy fix. Something to look for if you are buying one. Wouldn't stop me from purchasing it. Even after modding it the cost would still be considerably less than almost all of the competitors'

I was just gonna go get one tomorrow now I'm gonna look on craigslist for an older one.
    thx for the info
    It is in the worst of times, you sometimes see the best of things.

I have the older one, made by Pittsburgh Motorcycle. Here is the main difference. Besides the safety bar looking to be thinner and probably a weaker steel, the lower rails are knife-edged, not "C"d, no reinforcement, no support. Those lower rails will bow outward over time, even with a stronger safety bar. That new lift is NOT designed to take the weight. I hope Pittsburgh didn't make that, bad on them if they did.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lifp.jpg 
Views:	2401 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	108457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	1954 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	108449

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

What a chity fabrication. Who ever did that i would of fired their butt. And they put it on the market with out even stress testing it. Guess someone dont know stress points.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

That's to bad and I was thinking about getting one.

Debaffled~Yana Shiki License Plate, Derby, Blade Levers, Anodized Exotic Kickstand~Knight Rider G4~Raw Design Stealth Rear Signals~Raw Designs C.A. Front Turn Signals~HH Taillight Cover~Ferreus Combat Skull Grille~Mean Cycles Chin Spoiler~X-TRE~Gman FI Controller & Stealth Intakes~Rex 3D Mirrors~R.I.S. Diamond Cut Grips~Progressive 465 W\RAP 1" Lower~Cobra Swept~Rick Mayer Custom Seat

I'm going to bet that after they get a few back where they have all failed in the same place they will change them back. At least now I know what the problem is and I could reinforce it before it was ever allowed to fail.

A great heads up!

Has HF been contacted about this? Did they reply?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    I'm going to bet that after they get a few back where they have all failed in the same place they will change them back. At least now I know what the problem is and I could reinforce it before it was ever allowed to fail.

A great heads up!

Has HF been contacted about this? Did they reply?
    Going by the J-ville store today and speak with the store manager.

easy fix. Close the gap where the bar goes throw so it pinches the bar like sissor's.

Talk them into selling it at half price and fix it yourself.
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lcollins View Post
    That's to bad and I was thinking about getting one.
    As long as you get the OLD part #68892, then your getting the good one. if its part #69904...RUN!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts View Post
    As long as you get the OLD part #68892, then your getting the good one. if its part #69904...RUN!!!!!!
    I searched for the old part # online, but couldn't find a place that sells it. Maybe have to call them directly

Debaffled~Yana Shiki License Plate, Derby, Blade Levers, Anodized Exotic Kickstand~Knight Rider G4~Raw Design Stealth Rear Signals~Raw Designs C.A. Front Turn Signals~HH Taillight Cover~Ferreus Combat Skull Grille~Mean Cycles Chin Spoiler~X-TRE~Gman FI Controller & Stealth Intakes~Rex 3D Mirrors~R.I.S. Diamond Cut Grips~Progressive 465 W\RAP 1" Lower~Cobra Swept~Rick Mayer Custom Seat

Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by She's real fine my 109 View Post
    easy fix. Close the gap where the bar goes throw so it pinches the bar like sissor's.

Talk them into selling it at half price and fix it yourself.
    With a stiffer/solid bar the forces will remain downwards and not outwards due to the bent bar so just replace the bar.

If you wanted to stop dents appearing in the upright steel chassis rail, maybe lay a U shaped piece if steel where the bar hits.

Just went by our local HF to have a look at the new design. It looked like it would be ok, it has the right bracing and cross members but the safety bar is fubar-ed, that would have to be replaced with a good solid bar. All in all I think it will make a good lift for the price but not as good as the old one which I am lucky enough to have bought last year.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    With a stiffer/solid bar the forces will remain downwards and not outwards due to the bent bar so just replace the bar.

If you wanted to stop dents appearing in the upright steel chassis rail, maybe lay a U shaped piece if steel where the bar hits.
    The simple way.Yes you can. I rather close the gap between the two frames. Then it would put the weight on the two frames straght down instead of putting all the weight on the bar.

I would put a 1" × 2" channel with holes on the frame that moves up and down.

Now you took all the weight off the bar. Now your pinching the bar.

it also appears to be easily distinguished by the stop bar on mine has a ring welded on the end of it and identifying as the older version and the newer one has a hole drilled and a ring is put through the hole signifying the newer problematic one ?

2007 Black M109R, Metzler 260/160,Debadge/Beav,HK Sideburner,Cobra Power Pro CVT,dropped 2",PC'd wheels,Ducks Cowl with LED's (yes,the rear seat cowl ! ),Kury all around,Holley Intakes,Garmin,2" Risers,Driver Backrest, Jardine Quick release billet backrest,Tach relocate,Odyssey battery, YS side plate,Alarm,V-stream sport, Factory engine guards, matuza GA bags on ghost brackets, Throttle tamer, jt's night rider. Gel seat, more to come

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts View Post
    I have the older one, made by Pittsburgh Motorcycle. Here is the main difference. Besides the safety bar looking to be thinner and probably a weaker steel, the lower rails are knife-edged, not "C"d, no reinforcement, no support. Those lower rails will bow outward over time, even with a stronger safety bar. That new lift is NOT designed to take the weight. I hope Pittsburgh didn't make that, bad on them if they did.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lifp.jpg 
Views:	2401 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	108457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	1954 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	108449
    Can you clear this up for me? The old part # is the one on the right correct? (68892)

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

Default 1" Bar.....problem solved.

Interesting timing on this thread. I JUST got around to replacing my half inch bar which was bending quite severely (although not quite as much as the pic, but getting close) with a solid steel 1" bar yesterday. Problem solved.

I have 3 feet left over of one inch solid bar, anybody nearby need some?
    Last edited by CanadianM109R; 11-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

I am looking to buy this lift from harbor freight. As always I read all the reviews on everything I buy, I noticed a review on the Harbor freight website that said this happened & the only fix is to get a bar that is very sturdy & replace the bar that comes with the lift.
    Mystik

Good post. I was looking at these the other day as well. Looks to me like the rails that are supposed to support the safety bar were installed upside down compared to the old version.
    De-badged '08 C109R featuring: GMan Industries Bully, Stealth Intakes, TRE, GBushing, GBat, and Riser Extender; Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/ThrottleBoss and Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs; Cobra Light Bar and Fatty Freeway Bars; Suzuki Passenger Floorboards and Backrest; Ultimate Seats; and Auburn Leather Company Ultimate Legend Saddlebags mounted on Edge Saddlebag Brackets

Very Active Member DEADLYCHEEZE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace4aday View Post
    Good post. I was looking at these the other day as well. Looks to me like the rails that are supposed to support the safety bar were installed upside down compared to the old version.
    Surf craigslist. I got a great craftsman lift for $25.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADLYCHEEZE View Post
    Surf craigslist. I got a great craftsman lift for $25.

~Frank Zappa

Default New Harbor Freight Lift warning

The craftsman at out shop works well and gets a decent amount of use.
    2014 B.O.S.S...ready to start riding this beast

Very Active Member

Default jack

just got a j&s lift 18.5 its great for me!

I saw this posted over on the VMax site. Here is the info that was posted, FWIW.
    Good to know... I was also about to buy one! I saw one there that was aluminum for $200. Is that one on the level?

Quote Originally Posted by rpmroadracer View Post
    Good to know... I was also about to buy one! I saw one there that was aluminum for $200. Is that one on the level?
    You are asking about a different type of lift. Check the link in the first post.