GMAN intakes vs. new K&N filters in stock intakes

Thread: GMAN intakes vs. new K&N filters in stock intakes

Question GMAN intakes vs. new K&N filters in stock intakes

Hi, everyone.

I've been around for a while on this forum but I've been out riding after I got thing set up the way I wanted them.

I have the GMAN intakes and Bully fuel controller. Together, they made a huge difference in performance, but the GMAN intakes broke my "Salad Bowl" intake covers, and I've been running with things just wired together. K&N didn't have M90 filters two years ago. Now, K&N has M90 filters that fit in the stock assembly.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the K&N filters. I don't want to give up a lot of performance, but I think most of the performance gains came from the Bully and not the intakes. Suzuki runs things really lean and just smoothing that out probably makes a big difference with or without more air.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

If the stock intakes are anything like the M109R's, they breathe in their air via holes on the lower backside. Which means hot air. Hot air is not conducive to performance. Any intake which moves the intake away from that location, to a location where the air isn't hot, will see an improvement, whether it takes in more air or not. Myself, on my Nine, I prefer the round open style air filters. I have the LA Choppers xXx Big Air kit on mine.

Does the 90 have a filter on each side, like the 109?
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the setup is similar. M90 has filters on both sides and the stock version draws air off the engine.

So that would open up my question to M109 riders. Has anyone tried the K&N filters in the stock intake who can compare to a more open intake?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rydyn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the setup is similar. M90 has filters on both sides and the stock version draws air off the engine.

So that would open up my question to M109 riders. Has anyone tried the K&N filters in the stock intake who can compare to a more open intake?
    Most of us opt for new intakes that get the intake out of the hot air region between the jugs. Those who opt for the K & N's in the stock box are likely doing so because it's the cheapest option out there. A few have put Gold Wing air intakes on the front of the salad bowls to get some cold air into the boxes. At one time I thought about doing that, but I then spotted the LA Choppers xXx Big Air intake kit, and like the look of the huge open filters hanging off the side of the bike. No way I'd go back to salad bowls now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	379504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3936.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	379502  
    Last edited by cbxer55; 08-27-2018 at 09:09 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rydyn View Post

Opening it up so you get more and cooler air is always going to be better than pulling hot air off the engine from that tiny hole in the back of the stock intakes.

But you can get your stock intakes cut to any design you want by Ducks Custom Intakes. http://www.duckscovers.com/coverpics.htm

Here is the ones I had him do custom for me, I am running K&N filters inside them.

(You can light em up with LED's also)

BCS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR PS.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	379508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My BR9.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	379506