Clutch Cover Bolt Washers ?

Thread: Clutch Cover Bolt Washers ?

Default Clutch Cover Bolt Washers ?

As in the pic below what are the 3 x washers on the bolts (A) purpose. Are they to stop the bolts going all the way to back of hole.
    I apologise in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gtynytnmntynty.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	383238

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RR View Post
    As in the pic below what are the 3 x washers on the bolts (A) purpose. Are they to stop the bolts going all the way to back of hole.
    I apologise in advance.

M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

I apologise in advance.

While they are washers on those three bolts, you should think of them as gaskets. Those three holes are drilled into the engine cavity, which means they do not have a solid stopping point and oil could get into the threaded hole. The other bolts are not open to that and do not require the washer/gasket. The other cover and the oil pan have the same situation. It is an easy way to tell if the engine has been apart for some reason when those bolts are not put back in the correct spot.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Actually the manual calls the torque for a M6 bolt to be 11Nm which is close to 8ft lbs---- Not 16ft lbs. Do not use the 16ft lbs as you could strip the bolts holes out. This is a common error.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Thanks for the feedback. I had the 3x bolts set a side in the right order with the washers off as I am installing new bolts. But someone has moved them. Can you tell me if they are the same size or all 3x bolts different.

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    Actually the manual calls the torque for a M6 bolt to be 11Nm which is close to 8ft lbs---- Not 16ft lbs. Do not use the 16ft lbs as you could strip the bolts holes out. This is a common error.
    Thanx Matt, I just copied it from "Listan".
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Thanks for the feedback. I had the 3x bolts set a side in the right order with the washers off as I am installing new bolts. But someone has moved them. Can you tell me if they are the same size or all 3x bolts different.
    All of the shorter bolts for the cover are the same length--- just 3 of them get the washers installed on them and get used in those specific locations.

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    All of the shorter bolts for the cover are the same length--- just 3 of them get the washers installed on them and get used in those specific locations.
    Thanks mate