Anyone try the Avon Cobra Chrome tires yet?

Thread: Anyone try the Avon Cobra Chrome tires yet?

Very Active Member

Default Anyone try the Avon Cobra Chrome tires yet?

I've seen a few threads talking about their availability, but not that anyone has tried them yet.

I had run the Pirelli Night Dragons on my previous 109 and was really happy with them. I am considering the Cobras because I'd like to go with the 260 to get a little more height in the rear. Looks like the tire will provide better dry straight line traction due to less grooves in the center of the tire than the previous Cobra tire. I'm interested to see what the opinions are on corner grip, as the Cobra Chrome looks very similar to the Cobra with regard to the grooves at the edge of the tire. Is it better, worse, or unchanged from the previous Cobra tire?

With all the good reviews on the previous Cobra tires, I was pretty much set to try them when I change tires. Now with the tread pattern/design being a little different on the Cobra Chrome, I am back on the fence. My main concern is having a sticky tire, not longevity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I've got the Cobra Chrome on my front 21" wheel. I was going to get the matching 260 for the rear but was told not available until May. I've only put on about 200 miles so far.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Been trying to get the cobra chrome 260 myself not available in england yet either they keep putting the date back always run the cobra but havnt tried the chrome yet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I've installed the front tire and awaiting the rear 280. There is a different feel to the new Avon verse the old. It corners a lot easier. Shouldn't make a difference but there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by majalomalk View Post
    Been trying to get the cobra chrome 260 myself not available in england yet either they keep putting the date back always run the cobra but havnt tried the chrome yet.

the 250 was available but I've been running 260 since I got my bike

160/250 Avon CC's here (not a fan of the 260/40 geometry vs. stock) but only been on it for about 5mins to drive it home from the shop! Its been snowing or cold or raining (AND cold) just about every day since... and now my extended forecast shows rain basically every day for 10 days. Gah.

So... I'm wearing them... but still have no idea what they're like yet! Ha.

Very Active Member

Managed to order the cobra chrome 260 today and over here it is cheaper than the 250 so we will see time will tell.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    160/250 Avon CC's here (not a fan of the 260/40 geometry vs. stock) but only been on it for about 5mins to drive it home from the shop! Its been snowing or cold or raining (AND cold) just about every day since... and now my extended forecast shows rain basically every day for 10 days. Gah.

What didn't you like about the geometry? The way the tire fit the stock rim, or the geometry change of the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post

What didn't you like about the geometry? The way the tire fit the stock rim, or the geometry change of the bike?
    Hi Kratos.
    I'm a victim of my numerical OCD.

A 250/40 is +1.2% larger in circumference and diameter from a stock 240/40, giving "-9 revolutions per mile".

A 260/40 is +2.3% and -19 rev/mi with an enormous +7.9% sidewall also - most tire references for cars suggest you stay within 2% of stock cir/dia dimensions for safety due to geometry/ratio reasons; I can only suspect this is even more important on a bike.

A 280/35 however (which I feel should be on a 10" rim but some ride it on stock) has nearly *identical* dimensions to stock, except of course for width: +0.4% cir/dia and -4 rev/mi.

So I am ok with a 250/40 but would actually prefer a 280/35 if I had a 10" rim to put it on. For the extra 5mm per side to go from 250 to 260, I am personally not comfortable with the altered geometry/ratios.

To each their own though - lots run a 260 just fine.

Images (which probably look like crap because they get super compressed for some reason when I post from my phone...) are from: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190411_201929_1555029386927.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	383224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190411_201855_1555029398085.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	383226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190411_201832_1555029405975.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	383228  
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 1 Week Ago at 08:41 PM.

Put an Avon CC 250 on ~ 2 weeks ago. Have probably put about 400 miles on it thus far... so far very happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-29-16-48-20.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	383230
    Michael -
    2012 M109r LE in Viper Blue - East Orlando, FL

Very Active Member

Hi Kratos.
    I'm a victim of my numerical OCD.

A 250/40 is +1.2% larger in circumference and diameter from a stock 240/40, giving "-9 revolutions per mile".

A 260/40 is +2.3% and -19 rev/mi with an enormous +7.9% sidewall also - most tire references for cars suggest you stay within 2% of stock cir/dia dimensions for safety due to geometry/ratio reasons; I can only suspect this is even more important on a bike.

A 280/35 however (which I feel should be on a 10" rim but some ride it on stock) has nearly *identical* dimensions to stock, except of course for width: +0.4% cir/dia and -4 rev/mi.

So I am ok with a 250/40 but would actually prefer a 280/35 if I had a 10" rim to put it on. For the extra 5mm per side to go from 250 to 260, I am personally not comfortable with the altered geometry/ratios.

To each their own though - lots run a 260 just fine.

Images (which probably look like crap because they get super compressed for some reason when I post from my phone...) are from: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I completely understand. Coming from the sportbike world, I'm used to changing the rear tire size, going from a 190/50 to 190/55 to 200/55. I'm fine with it as long as fitting the tire meets the manufacturer specs, which it does for the 8.5" wheel of the 109. Cobra's specs say the tire is designed for an 8.5" - 9.5" wheel, so that gives me the warm fuzzy that it would be ok.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Put an Avon CC 250 on ~ 2 weeks ago. Have probably put about 400 miles on it thus far... so far very happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-29-16-48-20.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	383230

Thanks for the pic Mythos, that tire looks pretty good. How much room do you have on either side before the tire would rub?

Very Active Member

Thanks for the pic Mythos, that tire looks pretty good. How much room do you have on either side before the tire would rub?
    I hve run the 250 for a while now and there is plenty of room I am looking to try the 260 to see the difference and over here it is cheaper than the 250

You'd never have a problem with 250/260 rubbing. Even 280. The 300 is where you have to mod things