M109 Rider Forums banner

To The Nines - Build Thread

26K views 85 replies 33 participants last post by  HyperPete 
#1 · (Edited)
I said I would do a build thread once I was finished with my 9 for the season. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully, this will help some folks with their build.

Now, with any build you have to have a starting point and a reason for the build as well as a vision of what you want it to look like before you start. My reason I wanted to do this build was because I didn't like how Suzuki used a mixture of raw aluminum, clear coated aluminum, gray paint or powder coat, and chrome. All of these metallic parts were a mix and match with no rhyme or reason as to why each part was a different color. It was the one thing about the bike that has bothered me from the very beginning. My main goal for this build was to make all parts match the rest of the bike. Everything had to be either black or chrome! I was originally going to chrome all of the parts, but I wanted something a little different. ObsceneJester's 9 is the one that got me leaning towards a contrast cut theme. Then I took things I liked from several other members bikes. Shortly after I decided to go with a contrast theme and started collecting part, Grumpy posted pics of his 9 and that solidified the contrast build!

I'll be posting the vendors I used for the different parts throughout the thread. Also, a ton of pictures, as well as how I did most of the mods. I may throw in a few reference pictures for others to use for their own builds if I have room.

Here are a few picture of my starting point for this build. She's not "2THE9S" in this picture, but she will be by the end of the thread! :bigthumbsup:

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Crankset Bicycle tire

8497 miles on her at this point.

See less See more
#27 ·
I love it Sean! The detail and pics are great and now you've given me even more ideas, my wife is gonna hate you lol. Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together! Enjoy the bike and all the people who are gonna be drooling over her.

#29 ·
Once again one BAD AZZ ride!! Nice thread from start to finish...........now if you need to revise your thread, I'm only 2 1/2 hours away.

#35 ·
Thanks Doc! Hopefully it isn't too long. I felt like I was writing a novel! :D

Awesome and Sleek is words coming to my mind Sean.
those pics will definitely help newbies like us . Hopefully mods can switch save this in how to thread. Some great pics and help understanding lots of things.

Looks Perfect bro.

-Narendra
Thanks Narendra! I debated for a while on which section to post it in. If the Mods see fit to move it, that is fine by me. I'm planning to add a link to this thread in my signature. I'm thinking that will be easier than listing all the mods I've done. :bigthumbsup:

GREAT work bro, and awesome detailed post about it. See you in a few weeks and can't wait to check it out in person.
Thanks Harris! I can't wait until MAM. See you there!

#37 ·
Tjerk PM'd me some questions. I got his permission to quote him here and answer them as it may help someone else out that has the same questions.

DutchM1800R2 said:
Hi!

First off.. what an awesome bike you have, congrats!! And what a tremendous job you did with all the info and pictures, great work! :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

I've got the Platinum Bleed Feed air ride as well, and seeing yours raised a number of questions for me. Hope you can help me out.. but there's no rush, get back to me whenever is convenient for you ( or not at all :D )

1. Can you shows some additional pictures of where exactly you mounted the compressor? I've installed mine on the right hand side, just behind and underneath the battery box. It fits well there, but I had to remove the Stebel that was previously there and have no other location as of yet to put the horn back in. (R2 model so no headlight bucket). I'm open for other locations for the compressor.

2. I went with the valve block on the right hand side as well, mounted to the compressor bracket. It fits, but had to cut the inside portion of the side cover (not visible from outside). Does yours fit without any issues on the lefthand side?

3. I'm about to install a Fuzeblock just like you. Why did you decide to keep the supplied breaker and not run the airride over the fuzeblock?

4. No more questions. Thanks for showing that there is a cover for the breaker (beats my ducttape) and there's actually a supplied bracket for the switches.. totally missed that! :D

Thanks again! Ride safe and take care! :bigthumbsup:
Tjerk
Question #1:
It sounds like you have your compressor mounted in the same place I do. I used the supplied mounting bracket. The top bolt for the half moon cover (12 o'clock position on the half moon) holds the bottom of the compressor bracket, and the bolt just above that holds the top of the bracket. I got some longer bolts for the top one since I also added my fabricated bracket for the FuzeBlock. My bracket is held in place by the same top bolt. In the picture below, I temporarily put a second bolt in the hole normally used by the half moon cover just to keep everything in place.There are 4 bolts below the XTRE. The 2 on the left are holding the compressor bracket. It is difficult to see because everything is black, but if you look close you can see the compressor behind the FuzeBlock in the picture below. The compressor sits below the shallow portion of the battery box.

Question #2:
I was able to mount mine under the left side cover without trimming anything. All I had to do was drill a hole in the ECU bracket for the mounting bolt to go thru. I ran into the same problem when I tried to find somewhere under the right side cover to put it. Everything I tried would require trimming the right cover. That is the reason I put it on the left side. Fit perfect with no trimming! Being on the left side, it also allows for shorter and more direct routing of the air lines.

Question #3:
I used the supplied breaker for a couple of reasons. First, it automatically resets if it is tripped so no changing fuses. It is rated for 30 amps which is what Platinum seems to think is required even tho most of the wiring is 16 or 18 gauge. even art the battery connection. With what I know (which is admittedly limited and mostly self taught) a 30 amp circuit should have at least 14 gauge wire, preferably 12 gauge. I still can't figure that one out, but I figured if there is an issue, I need to have it connected exactly as they instructed. The other reason is because the relay in the FuzeBlock is only rates for 20 amps and their instructions say not to run more that 10 amps per circuit off of it.

Question #4:
Even tho you say "No more questions" I have an answer for you... :D The cover was about $2 or $3 dollars off of Amazon. I'll post a link to the one I ordered below. The switch bracket didn't come in my kit either. Had I not seen CJ's (Crazytrain) I wouldn't have known to ask for it. (CJ's was included in his kit) When it wasn't included in my kit, I called JC at MeanCycles and asked about it. He contacted Platinum and got one shipped to me. This is what it looks like.

Tool Bumper Wood Rectangle Composite material

Here is the link to the breaker cover:

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-42084...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm happy to help if I can. :bigthumbsup:

#38 ·
Almost forgot about the Stebel horn. Will it fit between the storage compartment where your tool kit is in the battery box and the frame? (to the left of my FuzeBlock in the first picture I posted) If it does, you could drill a couple of holes in the plastic to mount it there. Maybe use a little 3M double sided tape to help hold it in place.

#39 ·
Thanks Sean, this helps a lot! :bigthumbsup:

As for 1 & 2: Yes, we do have the compressor in the same (most obvious) place. I'm going to attempt to move the valves to the lefthand side (if I can get the air lines off). Maybe that'll give me enough space to fit the stebel back on the righthand side. If not, I'll look for some different for the horn.

3. Makes sense, haven't unpacked my Fuzeblock yet and wasn't aware of its ratings. Little background for this question: I was considering putting the air ride on a switched power supply. That way the system is unpowered when I leave the bike parked and unattended, and kids (or even big kids) decide to play with the switches. Switched power would kinda defeat the purpose of the remote though..
Makes me wonder what would happen to the system when it's pumped up and power is removed. Deflate or stay the same? Gonna try that out tomorrow :D

4. Gonna get the red lego thingy, thanks for the link! Actually had the chrome bracket in the kit, but my mind never came up with the idea to use it for the switches .. doh! :D

Cheers :bigthumbsup:

#41 ·
Switched power wouldn't be a bad idea. Most of the time when you are going to want to use the remote, you will know to leave the power on. Just power the system down when it will truly be unattended. It will not air up or down (unless you have a leak) with the power off. I tried! :D

#43 ·
Awesome! Look like I want to do something like this during the winter time. [emoji41][emoji965][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#60 ·
Swampworks 2 piece

#62 ·
I just purchased a swampworks 2 piece swingarm. Andy told me that he no longer provides the caps. He no longer works with the company that made them for him. I was lucky enough to get one from a member here. I totally agree it looks unfinished

#65 ·
More then likely you can purchase that cap at Home Depot.

Andy sent me the link to where he bought the caps for his swing arms a while back. It was a a company that made railings for porches, decks, etc. I looked, but I don't think I saved the address. It was for an end cap of a pipe style railing. The one he sent me a link to were brass IIRC. Then you would need to have it powder coated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.