projector headlight
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: projector headlight

  1. #1
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    104

    Default projector headlight

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projector headlight.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	389698Bought a projector headlight from Ebay that said it fit a C109. Got it in and unless I disassemble the stock headlight housing and somehow make it fit I do not see that this would drop right in. Figured I would see if anyone has installed one of these in their C. Searched the forums and did not see anything other than LED bulbs. thanks, Rich

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    708

    Default

    I don't own a C so I'm not 100% on it, but you will need to unscrew the two retaining screws on the headlight housing the keeps the front ring to the bucket portion. You can then remove the lens and other internal parts that you don't need. Then the replacement LED "should" fit where the old lens was and the wire harness fits behind it in the bucket portion. Put the trim ring back over the new LED light and tighten the bolts. Hope that help you get it installed. Post some pics when your done.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    708

    Default

    here is an exploded view of the bucket parts. You will remove the factory insert and parts that make the light and reflector, from the other diagram it appears to be just one piece. Then replace it with this LED one. Note that the light you got has the ring that can be for signals, but there is no break in the ring to separate between right and left, so the entire ring will light up as a signal if you wire it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	389700  

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member TheFNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Cape Cod MA
    Posts
    454

    Default

    If its just a 7" conversion and had other bikes also listed along with the 109, its not going to fit. It has to be made specifically for the C109. I already bought one and got the trim adaptor in hopes of making it fit. Our head light is huge. Its really not a 7" light. I returned it. The good news is that the LED bulbs will work. There is a massive amount of room inside the lens so no worry about an LED bulb with fan inside the housing fitting. The LED will produce the effect your looking for. If you search one of my past threads about trying to get my driving lights to stay on with high beam, you will see some good responses with bulb info.
    09' C109RT Thunder Teardrop Intakes;Cobra PowrPro;GIpro TRE/gear indicator;cobra exhaust;Tsukayu 7" Stereo/GPS Boox One Fairing;Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags;fender chrome; Rear Master cylinder Chrome;Tank bib;headlight visor,driving light visors,speedo visor and directional visors;Throttle lock; Kuryakyn cup holder;Kuryakyn mirrors;Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highway pegs;TMS Trunk; zXe head light and driving light bulbs;Draggers;Denali air horn

  7. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    If its just a 7" conversion and had other bikes also listed along with the 109, its not going to fit. It has to be made specifically for the C109. I already bought one and got the trim adaptor in hopes of making it fit. Our head light is huge. Its really not a 7" light. I returned it. The good news is that the LED bulbs will work. There is a massive amount of room inside the lens so no worry about an LED bulb with fan inside the housing fitting. The LED will produce the effect your looking for. If you search one of my past threads about trying to get my driving lights to stay on with high beam, you will see some good responses with bulb info.

    Bought the projector headlight on a whim with found money (Ebay gave me a $25 coupon for being a long time member so it only cost $6). Did a little more research on projector headlights and it looks like if I spit the plastic headlight housing apart at the seam (clear plastic lens portion in the front, black plastic bucket behind) I can likely make it work with little to no modification of the existing reflector. The leap of faith is heating the assembly up to soften the adhesive and split the housing. If it works, great. If it does not then I am looking for a used headlight assembly and that will be a $200+ mistake. If anyone has split the plastic headlight assembly on a C apart and has some feedback on success (or especially failure!) that would be great. Thanks, Rich

  8. #6
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pankyb1261 View Post
    Bought the projector headlight on a whim with found money (Ebay gave me a $25 coupon for being a long time member so it only cost $6). Did a little more research on projector headlights and it looks like if I spit the plastic headlight housing apart at the seam (clear plastic lens portion in the front, black plastic bucket behind) I can likely make it work with little to no modification of the existing reflector. The leap of faith is heating the assembly up to soften the adhesive and split the housing. If it works, great. If it does not then I am looking for a used headlight assembly and that will be a $200+ mistake. If anyone has split the plastic headlight assembly on a C apart and has some feedback on success (or especially failure!) that would be great. Thanks, Rich

    I have split my M109 headlight many times using my oven @ 200 degrees for 7 min. I also have an automotive interior disassembly kit that has a set of spanners in it that work great for separating the halves when the butyl rubber is hot. I actually retrofitted a 5.5'' Daymaker into my 109 headlight assembly. Along with trying a HID projector retrofit in a spare I got off a member.

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I have split my M109 headlight many times using my oven @ 200 degrees for 7 min. I also have an automotive interior disassembly kit that has a set of spanners in it that work great for separating the halves when the butyl rubber is hot. I actually retrofitted a 5.5'' Daymaker into my 109 headlight assembly. Along with trying a HID projector retrofit in a spare I got off a member.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will make this a winter project to give me time to recover if it does not go well. Rich

  10. #8
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    I have split my M109 headlight many times using my oven @ 200 degrees for 7 min. I also have an automotive interior disassembly kit that has a set of spanners in it that work great for separating the halves when the butyl rubber is hot. I actually retrofitted a 5.5'' Daymaker into my 109 headlight assembly. Along with trying a HID projector retrofit in a spare I got off a member.
    Was this YOU?!
    (or... also you?)
    I have had these pics for a year or more and always wondered how exactly they did it, thought it as a clever way to expand our headlight options.
    I was never able to find the original user - @thunder...something - and never brave enough to rip my headlight apart without having a spare to fall back on. lol.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daymakerM109r.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	389748


  11. #9
    Very Active Member Mrtallguy67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    Was this YOU?!
    (or... also you?)
    I have had these pics for a year or more and always wondered how exactly they did it, thought it as a clever way to expand our headlight options.
    I was never able to find the original user - @thunder...something - and never brave enough to rip my headlight apart without having a spare to fall back on. lol.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daymakerM109r.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	389748
    No that was Lio thunder. He was my inspiration however lol. His is the 7'' version, I did it with a 5'' so the entire headlight would fit in the opening. I had to modify the reflector housing and attach it to it, so I could retain the factory adjustments. However in my infinite wisdom, I miscalculated the perfect starting angle. So I ran out of vertical adjustment on mine and still couldn't get the light pattern where I wanted it. Here are a couple pics of the HID projector retrofit and the LED daymaker retrofit I made.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119993519_927248924452601_2749919475886962722_n.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	389764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119940765_798314440929309_4802139003755126591_n.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	389766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115879866_2736110846620360_7417126854437476803_n.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	389768

    BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

  12. #10
    Very Active Member NoSetFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    No that was Lio thunder. He was my inspiration however lol. His is the 7'' version, I did it with a 5'' so the entire headlight would fit in the opening. I had to modify the reflector housing and attach it to it, so I could retain the factory adjustments. However in my infinite wisdom, I miscalculated the perfect starting angle. So I ran out of vertical adjustment on mine and still couldn't get the light pattern where I wanted it. Here are a couple pics of the HID projector retrofit and the LED daymaker retrofit I made.
    That is some crazy brave mods, bro!
    And great idea trying to keep the factory adjusters... too bad about the miscalculation...lol "oosp"
    Added your pics to my "headlight inspirations" folder!
    I love the creativity of trying something different.


    (my apologies to the OP for the thread-jack...)
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 1 Week Ago at 09:27 PM.


  13. #11

    Default

    I don't know if it is a cool modification project but it looks nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->