Motor issues

Thread: Motor issues

Default Motor issues

I'll try to explain as best a possible getting 2nd hand info. When the bike is cold it starts up perfect but once it warms up good the motor starts making noises and oil is not pumping or moving around or not reaching all the parts like it should. The bike will as shut off. Do i need to replace the whole engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Keepup View Post
    I'll try to explain as best a possible getting 2nd hand info. When the bike is cold it starts up perfect but once it warms up good the motor starts making noises and oil is not pumping or moving around or not reaching all the parts like it should. The bike will as shut off. Do i need to replace the whole engine?

I'm not a resident expert but just curious what you mean by "the bike will as shut off"?
    Also, how do you know oil is not pumping or reaching all the parts?

Check for codes.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348234
    It could be the oil pressure switch or the actual pump.
    Check the magnets on your drain plugs for metal shavings. Also check the speedo sensor for metal shavings. If you find them then the oil pump may be degraded and causing low oil pressure. To be through simply remove the oil pan and check the bottom and the screens for metal.

I had several issues with mine that I should have done something about well before now. Like speedo would bounce at first and sometimes it would say I'm doing 140 when cruising at 45. After seeing my oil pump I'm sure I didn't have much longer before problems got much worse. The good news is my crank and Conrad bearings and journals were immaculate despite the abuse my '06 has been subjected to.

My vote is rebuild if you find these things. Change the shift forks as they are most surely worn the the cause of most of the shavings if you find them. And solid shift rods are a must.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

I may have you confused with someone else (I talk with a lot of people) but didn't you have some engine work done not long ago?

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 02-17-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Found out it was metal shaving stuck in the oil valve port.

Wow! WTF?? That doesn't sound too good. I'm glad it's never happened to my 14 year old Nine.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Sucks to hear this but you will likely have to replace your oil pump. Since the metal got that far both pump gear sets will likely be damaged. Unfortunately the case has to be split to get the oil pump out. When the oil pump is out remove the outer gear set and then remove the single Phillips head screw to inspect the second (high pressure) gear set. Both will likely be scared especially the inner pump housing.

Things to watch out for. The oil pump drive gear (above the oil pump gear) has an extremely small pin that keys it to the balance shaft just behind the clutch basket. It is NOT a press fit and will fall out very easily and end up in the oil pan. The oil pump gear(driven) attached to the oil pump shaft has a much larger pin that passes completely through the shaft. It is a slip fit and will fall out as well plus there is a washer just behind the pin. The last two are both pump gear sets (inner and outer) have the same style floating pins that will fall out as well.
    Last edited by Frotosride; 02-28-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit