M109 Rider Forums banner

Kuryakyn Grip Install

80K views 208 replies 129 participants last post by  sssportsmfg 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered the 6235 ISO Grips and the 6250 Throttle Boss. The 6235 comes with 2 grips, glue, instructions, and a small plastic tube about 1.5" long and 1" in diameter. NOTE: The new grips do not come with an allen wrench to remove the end caps.

Heres a picture of what you will end up with afterwards just for reference (note, old clutch grip is not in picture, I had already thrown it out)

Throw out the 1.5" plastic tube, it is not needed and just confused me at first. I also threw out the glue and used Gorilla Glue. I wanted a little more time before it set.

Throttle Side NEW Grip that has a plastic tube fixed into it.

1) Tap off chrome end cap. I used a flat blade screw driver and hammer and very lightly tapped. It comes off pretty easy.
2) Loosen the throttle cable adjuster and remove the 2 screws in this pic:

3) Remove the lower half of the starter switch cover and set aside
4) Remove the Philips head screw to completely remove the starter switch assy (NOTE: I do not have a pic of this but it's pretty easy to figure out once you complete step 3)
5) Lift off the starter switch and push to the side
6) At this point you will see where the throttle cables hook into the throttle. If you look at the second pic at the top of this thread you will see the end of the throttle tube. You should be able to pull the throttle cable out of the hooks. I used a small pair of smooth needle nose pliers. If you loosened the cable up in step 2 this should be pretty easy. I removed the rider side first and then the brake handle side.
7) Remove the old grip.
8) Slide on NEW Grip
9) Re-hook the brake side cable
10) Re-hook the rider side cable (this one was a bit of a pain but if you take your time it should pop back in)
11) Re-assemble the starter switch assy. 1 screw, then the 2 screw cover plate on the bottom.
12) Re-Tighten the throttle cable.

At ths point I installed the Throttle Boss.
1) Remove the NEW grip end cap via the 4 allen head screws
2) Install the Boss between the handle and the trim ring.
3) Using the 4 longer screws (provided with the boss) lightly tighten the end cap
4) Adjust the boss to a comfortable position
5) Tighten the 4 allen head screws

Step back and compare the old vs new:

Clutch Side, NEW Grip that does not have a plastic tube in it:
1) Cut off the old grip with a sharp knife.
2) Using a flat blade screw driver or a large open end wrench and a hammer lightly tap off the end cap. It comes off pretty easy so just tap it off.
3) Remove the chrome trim ring
4) Clean off the old glue. I used a little alcohol and some sandpaper.
5) Remove the end cap from the new grip. Use an allen wrench and remove the 4 screws from the end.
6) Apply glue to inside of NEW grip. You should apply the glue to what will be the "inside edge" of the grip so that as you push it on the glue slides down the rest of the inside. I used Gorilla Glue so that it would give me a little more time to set it on.
7) Slide grip on and align the rubber where you want it. I set the rubber grip on the top and bottom, it felt most comfortable and matched the alignment of the throttle side.
8) Wipe out any excess glue from the end of the grip
9) Re-install the End cap using the 4 allen head screws.

Stand Back and look at the new grips:

EDIT: Apologies to anybody looking for the pictures. I haven't been here in ages and had killed the old host I was using. These should be good for a long while.

See less See more
#109 ·
My 2 cents...

I ordered and installed the 6235 parts on my M109.
you must loose the 2 screw under the right hand control on each corner.
There is a 3rd one, also under, but in the middle of this control, this is this screw everybody is talking about as being boring to remove and so on...
I tried to unlock it and....it fails it was ripping and starting to kill the screw.
so i don't know why, but i tried to unscrew it with a philips screwdriver, it's a little different than a normal one, and it worked like a charm!
Maybe i'm lucky, maybe it's a tips...
maybe some of you could try? :)

#110 ·
I wish I could put this higher on the post because it is that important, but please...please check your grips for fit before you hook everything back up. The end of my new grip had a whole bunch of plastic in it. I hooked everything up and the throttle wouldn't snap back. Went thru all of the cable adjustments trying to figure it out before I took everything off. I unscrewed all 3 of the screws and slid the grip a half inch down to get some room to work (unhook the cables) and the SOB popped back like it should. So now I have to file and sand down the end of the grip until it doesn't bind on the end of the bars. If I had just test fitted the grip all the way on I wouldn't have had this problem. I slid it on a little, had lots of play and assumed it was all good, WRONG.
Good thing this isn't riding season here in upstate NY or I would be super super p'd.

Remember test fit and check for plastic goobers in your grip.

#111 ·
For anyone having trouble with crap inside their throttle side grip I have found a solution. I filed away but couldn't get it good enough until I saw something in my toolbox. I took the cap off the end and with a 1" wood drill bit (the kind with a tip and then the 2 "wings" on the side) I slowly eased it in and used that to clear out all of the crap. With the cap off I was able to get all the way to the end (with an extension). Hope that helps.

barrett

#119 ·
Hello all,

I installed the Kuryakun 6235 ISO Grips with the help of Felix T Cat instructions below with a few additions:

I ordered the 6235 ISO Grips and the 6250 Throttle Boss. The 6235 comes with 2 grips, glue, instructions, and a small plastic tube about 1.5" long and 1" in diameter. NOTE: The new grips do not come with an allen wrench (3/32) to remove the end caps.

Heres a picture of what you will end up with afterwards just for reference (note, old clutch grip is not in picture, I had already thrown it out)

Throw out the 1.5" plastic tube, it is not needed and just confused me at first. I also threw out the glue and used Gorilla Glue. I wanted a little more time before it set.

Throttle Side NEW Grip that has a plastic tube fixed into it.

1) Tap or twist off chrome end cap. I used a flat blade screw driver and hammer and very lightly tapped. It comes off pretty easy.
2) Loosen the throttle cable adjuster and remove the 2 screws in this pic:

3) Remove the lower half of the starter switch cover and set aside
4) Remove the Philips head screw to completely remove the starter switch assy (NOTE: I do not have a pic of this but it's pretty easy to figure out once you complete step 3)
5) Lift off the starter switch and push to the side
6) At this point you will see where the throttle cables hook into the throttle. If you look at the second pic at the top of this thread you will see the end of the throttle tube. You should be able to pull the throttle cable out of the hooks. I used a small pair of smooth needle nose pliers. If you loosened the cable up in step 2 this should be pretty easy. I removed the rider side first and then the brake handle side.
7) Remove the old grip.
8) Slide on NEW Grip
9) Re-hook the brake side cable
10) Re-hook the rider side cable (this one was a bit of a pain but if you take your time it should pop back in)
11) Re-assemble the starter switch assy. 1 screw, then the 2 screw cover plate on the bottom.
12) Re-Tighten the throttle cable.

At ths point I installed the Throttle Boss.
1) Remove the NEW grip end cap via the 4 allen head screws
2) Install the Boss between the handle and the trim ring.
3) Using the 4 longer screws (provided with the boss) lightly tighten the end cap
4) Adjust the boss to a comfortable position
5) Tighten the 4 allen head screws

Step back and compare the old vs new:

Clutch Side, NEW Grip that does not have a plastic tube in it:
1) Cut off the old grip with a sharp knife or insert flat head screw driver and spray WD40 inside. Twist off easily.
2) Using a flat blade screw driver or a large open end wrench and a hammer lightly tap off the end cap. It comes off pretty easy so just tap it off.
3) Remove the chrome trim ring. You may have to spray WD40 on it.
4) Clean off the old glue. I used a little alcohol and some sandpaper.
5) Remove the end cap from the New grip. Use an allen wrench (3/32) and remove the 4 screws from the end.
6) Apply glue to inside of NEW grip. You should apply the glue to what will be the "inside edge" of the grip so that as you push it on the glue slides down the rest of the inside. I used Gorilla Glue so that it would give me a little more time to set it on.
7) Slide grip on and align the rubber where you want it. I set the rubber grip on the top and bottom, it felt most comfortable and matched the alignment of the throttle side.
8) Wipe out any excess glue from the end of the grip
9) Re-install the End cap using the 4 allen head screws.

Uses for the end caps from the OLD grips:

1. Use to cover the left rear axle. Fits perfectly.

Stand Back and look at the new grips:

#120 · (Edited)
Install SPIKED front axle caps - billet chrome

Hello all,

I installed the M109 SPIKED front axle caps-billet chrome type. Very simple to do.

1. Notice that the diameter of the circular sides of the caps are of different sizes.
2. The smaller diameter cap is for the LEFT and the larger diameter for the RIGHT.
3. Use SUPER CLEAR Silicone Gasket Maker Type 7.
4. Spread a thin layer of silicone onto the underside of the SPIKED front axle caps.
5. Install SPIKED axle caps on each side.
5. Let silicone set for 12 - 24 hours.
6. Enjoy the ride!!!!

#123 ·
Installed the 6235 grips today approx. 30 minutes.

Had one of those screws strip :verymad: (even with the warnings and extra care), was able to get the grips on though :D!

I haven't glued the clutch side yet, it was pretty tight fight, will determine if I need glue in the near future.

#125 ·
Ok so can you take the throttle sleeve out of the 6235's and just slide the grip up on the stock throttle sleeve. I didn't know the universals worked and ordered bike specific. I would rather not have to fool w/ the sleeve if I don't have to.

Anyone:dontknow:

#126 ·
Ok so can you take the throttle sleeve out of the 6235's and just slide the grip up on the stock throttle sleeve. I didn't know the universals worked and ordered bike specific. I would rather not have to fool w/ the sleeve if I don't have to.

Anyone:dontknow:
There is no throttle sleeve on the stock grips, they are one piece, so if the universals have one you won't need to use it. The bars are 1", so as long as the ID of the universal grips are the same you just slide them on.

#129 ·
Just put the iso flames on my 09. Part #6261 I believe. Very easy thanks to all the good advice in this thread. Had no problems with any screws. I put the brake lever cable side on first then twist the throttle back and open up the butterflies a little and the rider side cable has adequate room to slip in.

#131 ·
Did mine today, here are my $.02.

Don't forget that plastic sleeve. I did not see it and I installed it with it on the throttle side. I did not notice until I tried to put the switch box together. I had to undo it and reinstall it.

And OMG that glue is strong!!!

My dog got to the glue and bit a hole in it and I did not notice and that stuff got all over my hands when I squeezed it. Took me forever to get it off my hands.

My tip: place the glue toward the top of the handle bar like the video above says. I put it on the whole handlebar and it got stuck before i was able to push it up all the way. It does set fast! Thankfully I was able to recover.

All in all it was a simple install easy enough for anyone to do. Just be patient. Even with my headaches it look about 30 minutes,

Thanks everyone.

#132 ·
Guy's whats the trick to get the pictures to come up??!!! I right click on the red X and the click on pictures and nothing!

#138 ·
new write up needed...

I just purcased some ISO Grips from DLP, Ill see about taking new pics and doing a new write up durring the process...

#141 · (Edited)
I'm debating between the 6235 and the 6240, the 6240 would go on like the ones I put on my virago, very simply.

I just need to confirm that the 6250 throttle boss will work with the 6240's as well as a throttle lock, I'm looking at the 6218, but I see the 6329 looking quite interesting and less intrusive looking. I always wear gloves, so not sure how well the 6285 would work for me... they have a real funky one 6280, it's electro magnetic, and very pricy, but I think it makes the function more complicated.(oh it's for HD's booo, but you touch front or rear brake, or even the clutch and it'll unlock the throttle.)

Oh and for the 6235:
http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/_Kuryakyn-ISO-Grip-Install-6235/video/270588/22960.html

Sure it's not a 9, but other than the screws on the start cover it looks pretty much bang on.

#142 · (Edited)
My turn.
I'm going with the Iso grips also. I installed the throttle side first of course and now the switch housing won't close all the way. I'm pissed!

I think that was is happening is, the part that sticks up where u attach the cables to, is too tall in the switch housing. It pivots on that part and won't allow it to fully close. It also makes the grip stick when you turn it. It won't return.

It will if I take it all apart again to where the housing is hanging lose.
The model is 6235. Should I sand/grind that plastic piece down?

WELL DAMN! It closed and it sticks now. It's not pivoting on it. Yes i put the return cable back out but it still sticks.

#143 ·
My turn.
I'm going with the Iso grips also. I installed the throttle side first of course and now the switch housing won't close all the way. I'm pissed!

I think that was is happening is, the part that sticks up where u attach the cables to, is too tall in the switch housing. It pivots on that part and won't allow it to fully close. It also makes the grip stick when you turn it. It won't return.

It will if I take it all apart again to where the housing is hanging lose.
The model is 6235. Should I sand/grind that plastic piece down?
you have something out of whack. I have the same grips, they fit/work fine.

#144 ·
Of course you do Big B! Your my inspiration for getting them. Lol
Yeah there must be because even when I open the housing completely open, the return cable works.

It's not until I close it altogether that it binds. Tomorrow is another day and I will mess with it then.

So until then, thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.