M109 Rider Forums banner

Shifting issues?

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  "Hunter" 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Hope this isn't something that has been asked before, looked around but couldn't find something similar. Took my 08' out today, got on the freeway had no issues shifting 1-4 , but had no fifth gear. Thought I was going crazy so I went through the gears again, and sure enough still no fifth gear. Got it on the lift and started playing with it, and was able to get all five gears shifting with power off. Took it off the lift and wanted to test it before I took it back out and once again couldn't get past 4th. I've noticed that if I rotate the rear wheel sometimes I can get the gears to shift higher , but now not past third. I am at a loss . I'm not the smartest, but from my understanding I should be able to cycle the gears while the power is off? Any ideas on what I'm dealing with?

#2 ·
Are you 100% sure it is 5th you are missing and not 1st?

Does it feel like you almost need to pull the shift lever up a little with your foot after downshifting in order to get it back to a center position before you can downshift again?

(If that makes any sense)

I had similar issues with a 06 model, I replaced the entire shift linkage and bushing (#23-#30) but the actual problem turned out to be the detent spring was cracked. I replaced it and the bike shifted like new again. (Although the shift linkage was not the actual cause of the problem it was very worn out and needed replaced)

The detent spring that was bad is # 21 in the attached drawing.

Attachments

#3 ·
Well you got me guessing now, but i'm pretty sure it is fifth that it wont go into. I stopped at a few lights and put it into neutral and shifted into first and so on. Something's just not right, it's just weird how it happens. I can try to shift, but feels like you're out of gears. If that makes sense, it's solid when trying to lift, so not like it's slipping or grinding or anything.

#7 ·
Those are the motor mount bushings that Hunter posted.

If you look under the bike and try to shifting the lever with your hand, can you see the shift linkage rod hitting on the bottom of the engine casing?

If so this could be restricting your ability to shift, and that symptom could be worn shift linkage, worn motor mounts.......or both.

Also you never answered if your shift lever feels like it does not return to the center position after you downshift. If it feels like it is not being pulled all the way back to center then change that spring I pointed out earlier.....it is amazing what a difference a $5.00 spring can make if that is actually the problem.

BCS

#8 ·
Everything on the shifting lever looks good, it's not hitting anything or rubbing anywhere.
Didn't make sense to me when you asked before, but yes it returns to center just fine. Do you think this would be a clutch issue? Like I was saying before, when I roll the bike or spin the wheel when it's on the lift and hold the shifter lever it will go into gear. Not sure what this would mean? Is the clutch not fully engaged?

#9 ·
Well I got to the clutch and seems like it is engaging like it should. Spins freely when pulling lever. I didn't pull the plates apart since it seems like it's doing it's job.
I adjusted the clutch cable, and it seemed to be fine. I have put everything back together, put a little oil in it since I lost some from taking the clutch cover off. Just
took it out for a drive and it is now going through all 5 gears. I have no idea what the issue is or why it's not doing it now. I am sure it will rear it's ugly head sooner than later.
Thanks for your input.

#10 ·
Have you ever needed to tighten the tub nut in the clutch basket? It’s a common problem and basically all the older models will need to do it at some point. Depending on how loose it is will very the symptoms until it gets completely stuck in gear, and who knows what gear that will be, but first off there will be shifting problems of some sort. There are a tone of posts on the subject and I’m sure someone has a link handy. Read threw the posts and see what you come up with. Good luck.

I have an 06 and I’ve tightened up that Tub nut once already then after that I went right to upgrading to a brand new 2011 clutch which is the highest year we can go, as far as I know for the first generation 9s.

#11 ·
Have you ever needed to tighten the tub nut in the clutch basket? It's a common problem and basically all the older models will need to do it at some point. Depending on how loose it is will very the symptoms until it gets completely stuck in gear, and who knows what gear that will be, but first off there will be shifting problems of some sort. There are a tone of posts on the subject and I'm sure someone has a link handy. Read threw the posts and see what you come up with. Good luck.

I have an 06 and I've tightened up that Tub nut once already then after that I went right to upgrading to a brand new 2011 clutch which is the highest year we can go, as far as I know for the first generation 9s.
https://issuu.com/hunter_guyv2/docs/modification__embrayage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.