Differences between year modesl

Thread: Differences between year modesl

Default Differences between year modesl

Good morning fellow 9 riders. I have a question that may or may not already be answered somewhere in these forums. If it is, please link the thread and I'll go read it, I just can't spend any more time this morning searching threads (my boss really wants to pay me to work, not read forum threads, lol).

So i recently traded in my '06 m109 for a new '19 m109. I loved my '06 but it had developed a miss that I just wasn't willing to spend any more money on trying to track down. So here's my question, can anyone point me in the direction of a somewhat simple list of differences between the various year models? I'm looking for aftermarket parts for my new one but there is very little that shows as compatible with the '19. It appears that '08 through '14 were virtually the same and parts were interchangeable. Then '15 to '18 seems the same but '19 is very limited.

Looking for some help and/or advice from y'all who have more experience than I with these awesome machines we call our nines.
    ~Kaaos
    Keep the rubber on the road!
    Ride or Die!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Far as I know, the early years, when you changed exhaust, you could simply pull a wire out of the ecm and not have to worry about the check engine light. The newer models, you can't do this. I believe 06 was the only year that had a large hole on the bottom of the stock intake. After that, the hole got WAY smaller and has an elbow attached to it. All a moot point since most of us toss the stock intake in the circular file anyways. Was it 2010, when Suzuki started putting the tach in the bucket? I prefer the tach on the risers myself. So there's no way I trade mine for a newer one. I'll fix whatever happens to it before buying one with a hidden tach. The long bare naked risers look kind of long and skimpy (whimpy) IMHO. Even worse when you put two inch over risers on. Reason I have one inch drop risers on mine.

At some point, Suzuki installed o2 sensors in the exhaust. My 06 doesn't have them. I'm glad of that. Made the changing exhaust a lot easier. Think maybe it was 08 when they started putting them in. Not sure. My 08 B-King has them.

Other than that, there is no difference except paint.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 06-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    At some point, Suzuki installed o2 sensors in the exhaust. My 06 doesn't have them. I'm glad of that. Made the changing exhaust a lot easier. Think maybe it was 08 when they started putting them in. Not sure. My 08 B-King has them.

Other than that, there is no difference except paint.
    No O2 sensors in any North American M109R ........2006 - 2019, none have them.

Biggest change worth talking about between model years would be the upgraded clutch, which was done in 2010 and newer models I believe.

There are a few more changes made between the model years but nothing really significant.

One other I can think of it the newer bikes have 5 spoke rims and the older bikes have 6 spoke rims.

There are also changes in the ECU map layout in different model years.

BCS

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    No O2 sensors in any North American M109R ........2006 - 2019, none have them.

Biggest change worth talking about between model years would be the upgraded clutch, which was done in 2010 and newer models I believe.

There are a few more changes made between the model years but nothing really significant.

One other I can think of it the newer bikes have 5 spoke rims and the older bikes have 6 spoke rims.

There are also changes in the ECU map layout in different model years.

BCS

Doesn't California bikes have O2 sensors?

Most aftermarket companies are slow to update their websites. Anything listed for any year BOSS will fit your bike, and almost all aftermarket parts will fit it regardless of the year. Only a handful of exceptions. If there is something specific you are looking at, just ask. Everyone here is happy to help.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    Doesn't California bikes have O2 sensors?
    So far all the 9er's I have talked with in California say they do not have O2 sensors either.

At least one of those was a brand new bike off the showroom floor.

Still does not answer your question beyond a shadow of a doubt......but that is all the info I have to go on.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 06-12-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Very Active Member

As far as I know,

There was the clutch fix,

Moving the tach into the headlight housing/cowl

Also added a crankcase expansion tank for the breather to reduce oil puking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Most aftermarket companies are slow to update their websites. Anything listed for any year BOSS will fit your bike, and almost all aftermarket parts will fit it regardless of the year. Only a handful of exceptions. If there is something specific you are looking at, just ask. Everyone here is happy to help.
    ^^ this.

I will add to sidebar questions also, from my own understanding:
    • 2010 sold in Canada only, not in USA so American websites may not list this model year.
    • 2011 Tach went from Risers to Bucket
    • 2014 BOSS went Black
    • 2015 (I believe) no more chrome - all versions are now BOSS/Black
    • 2016 & 2017 Fibroid Grey are identical bikes
    • Others have mentioned the clutch.
    • Basically everything else from any year will fit all years, and especially 2011-present as that body is entirely unchanged except that "BOSS" means it is probably a blacked out part. I have seen many websites which stopped updating their pages after 2014 model year as there have been zero changes beyond paint and stickers.
    • As Poseidon said, if you ever aren't sure SOMEBODY here probably already owns or owned the part you are looking at and can tell you all about it.

Congrats on the new/updated ride.
    Last edited by NoSetFine; 06-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSetFine View Post
    ^^ this.

I will add to sidebar questions also, from my own understanding:
    • 2010 sold in Canada only, not in USA so American websites may not list this model year.
    • 2011 Tach went from Risers to Bucket
    • 2014 BOSS went Black
    • 2015 (I believe) no more chrome - all versions are now BOSS/Black
    • 2016 & 2017 Fibroid Grey are identical bikes
    • Others have mentioned the clutch.
    • Basically everything else from any year will fit all years, and especially 2011-present as that body is entirely unchanged except that "BOSS" means it is probably a blacked out part. I have seen many websites which stopped updating their pages after 2014 model year as there have been zero changes beyond paint and stickers.
    • As Poseidon said, if you ever aren't sure SOMEBODY here probably already owns or owned the part you are looking at and can tell you all about it.

Congrats on the new/updated ride.
    2010 sold in Australia too.
    Tacho to Bucket in 2010 - Australia at least (2011 rest of the world)
    Australian and Canadian 2010s appear to be the 2011 that went to the rest to the world.
    I'm actually about to test the theory with the Healtech X-TRE which is supposedly for 2011 onwards however the Australian 2010 and 2011 wiring harnesses are identical part numbers so I'm going to give it a go.