Rear Shock Preload Recomendation

Thread: Rear Shock Preload Recomendation

Default Rear Shock Preload Recomendation

The manual says that the rear shock comes pre-set in the #4 position. I am approximately 235 lbs. I frequently ride with my wife as a passenger as well. Lets say that adds another 120 lbs for a total of 355 lbs. We ride mostly on the highway that are for the most parts smooth, with the exception of some that are a bit rougher due to patching and poor crack tarring. I think I could get a bit better ride than I am now with some minor adjustments to the pre-load on the rear shock. What position would everyone recommend adjusting it to?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well, I weigh 170 and ride alone all the time. I set mine on #1 the first week I had the bike, way back in July 06. I've never seen reason to change it. Having said that, if I was carrying a passenger often, I'd have left it on #4. Not sure I ever want to feel what #7 feels like. At my weight, probably ride like a hardtail harley. OUCH!!!!
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by meierjn View Post
    The manual says that the rear shock comes pre-set in the #4 position. I am approximately 235 lbs. I frequently ride with my wife as a passenger as well. Lets say that adds another 120 lbs for a total of 355 lbs. We ride mostly on the highway that are for the most parts smooth, with the exception of some that are a bit rougher due to patching and poor crack tarring. I think I could get a bit better ride than I am now with some minor adjustments to the pre-load on the rear shock. What position would everyone recommend adjusting it to?

Thanks!
    With your weight and the combined weight with your wife, I highly recommend setting your rear shock to the #5 setting at least. At that setting, your ride shouldn’t be too soft or too stiff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

250 pounds here. Mine is set at 4. If my wife rode with me more I'd probably raise it to 5, and she weighs about 130 (I don't ask).

With my answer and the others, you should be getting an idea of weight ranges for each setting. Hope this helps.

Taz
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109r
    ----------------------------------
    Taz
    ----------------------------------
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

250 lbs here-stock at 4 it was brutal on our uneven, rough roads. At 1 it's tolerable and still plenty firm. IMO they have way oversprung this bike. (Mine is an 07, other years may be different)

I have a 2013 and at #4 it was like the tires were made of solid wood and my teeth were rattling when the road was a bit uneven .
    I am 185 lb but I read somewhere that the bike would wobble at a #1 setting so I set it at #2 which it is still firm but way more acceptable and much more comfortable . I also have the adjustable bones set at 1.75" so the bike is low but the ride is ok .

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

I'm 180 and set it at 1 as I never have a passenger. Lowered 2" on the rear and now that I have 21" front wheel no scraping and can lean like crazy even with the DLXProdox forward controls. It's a great ride mostly but we have some crappy roads once we get off the beaten path. Still considering Air Ride for comfort

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like there is no easy answer as to which setting to use. I think I'll start by decreasing the preload a notch or two and adjust up and down as necessary.

I set mine on Number 1 the first week I had it. No wobble. Maybe it's because I am light, 170 pounds? I've never felt the need to crank it up any, for 13 years now.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Interesting topic....for someone who has only had their bike for 3 weeks, how would one go about checking the shock setting and adjusting? Thanks in advance

This is great timing, I had just started looking into this. Im 6'2" & 260lbs and on #4 Im getting slammed all over the place and its starting to hurt my back. I was thinking about going to #2 and hope for the best. Now I need to find a forum on adjusting it. 🤔
    K&N Intake, Vance & Hines Big Shots, PC3, JSD,Shift kit Evo Star, Gel Seats, Smoked Lenses, Iso Grips with Spikes, De-Beavered, Highway Bars, Stainless Swing Arm Cover, Kewl Metal 2" Risers and end cap tach mount, Barnett Clutch and Throttle Cables,Pair Valve Block Off Kit, Bio-Hazard Derby Cover, CA Integrated Taillight, Webslinger speedo & Tach, Chrome Driveshaft Cover, Kuryo Skull Pegs,03:05 AM BlkM109r Paint Job

Quote Originally Posted by lostbones View Post
    This is great timing, I had just started looking into this. Im 6'2" & 260lbs and on #4 Im getting slammed all over the place and its starting to hurt my back. I was thinking about going to #2 and hope for the best. Now I need to find a forum on adjusting it. 🤔
    Keep us updated please. The weather here went to k-rap this week. I probably will not get out until later in the week next week.

I found the post I wrote when I adjusted the damping shock on my 2013 109r a while ago , back on 2016 :
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321545
    When you adjust the damping down , the bike`s height goes down for sure a bit .
    As I explained on my post , I previously had the bike lowered to 1.75" with the adjustable bones , and when I re-adjusted the damping from #4 to #2 I noticed that the height was also lowered .
    What I mean is that lowering the bike damping 2 clicks will be the equivalent of lowering the suspension an extra 0.25 inch .
    It worked great for me because I now have the lowering height equivalent to 2 inches , with the 1.75" actual setting on the suspension , lol...
    Word of caution : if you have the bike lowered to 2 inches already and you readjust the damping down to #2 setting , you will have an equivalent of 2.25 inches on the height of the suspension and cut start to scrape the road on turns .
    Also very important is to make sure to reduce or cut the length of the bolts underneath the rear fender , so you would not destroy the rear tire .
    Last edited by josey088; 06-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
    250 lbs here-stock at 4 it was brutal on our uneven, rough roads. At 1 it's tolerable and still plenty firm. IMO they have way oversprung this bike. (Mine is an 07, other years may be different)
    Yup, this was the reason why I had mine set one the #1 setting. Plus if you are short, it will lower the rear of the bike a little. People always asked what lowering bones I had on my bike.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

This is a good read on the rear shock back from 2007.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...ght=Rear+shock

Just need a spanner wrench to change it

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    When you adjust it, lift the rear of the bike to take the load of the rear wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Yup, this was the reason why I had mine set one the #1 setting. Plus if you are short, it will lower the rear of the bike a little. People always asked what lowering bones I had on my bike.
    My bike on the number 1 setting, sets noticeably lower than my friend Sams 06 on number 4. He noticed it right away, the day I first changed it.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    I think I have one in one of my snowmobile tool kits. I'll have to do some digging!

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    This is a good read on the rear shock back from 2007.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...ght=Rear+shock
    That's a great thread. I don't know how I missed it. I wish the pictures were still attached though...

That's a great thread. I don't know how I missed it. I wish the pictures were still attached though...
    Likely all thanks to photobuckets extortion racket. And also likely the member who made that post is long gone from this site.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by josey088 View Post
    I found the post I wrote when I adjusted the damping shock on my 2013 109r a while ago , back on 2016 :
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321545
    When you adjust the damping down , the bike`s height goes down for sure a bit .
    As I explained on my post , I previously had the bike lowered to 1.75" with the adjustable bones , and when I re-adjusted the damping from #4 to #2 I noticed that the height was also lowered .
    What I mean is that lowering the bike damping 2 clicks will be the equivalent of lowering the suspension an extra 0.25 inch .
    It worked great for me because I now have the lowering height equivalent to 2 inches , with the 1.75" actual setting on the suspension , lol...
    Word of caution : if you have the bike lowered to 2 inches already and you readjust the damping down to #2 setting , you will have an equivalent of 2.25 inches on the height of the suspension and cut start to scrape the road on turns .
    Also very important is to make sure to reduce or cut the length of the bolts underneath the rear fender , so you would not destroy the rear tire .

Awesome thanks! I'll look into this. 👍
    K&N Intake, Vance & Hines Big Shots, PC3, JSD,Shift kit Evo Star, Gel Seats, Smoked Lenses, Iso Grips with Spikes, De-Beavered, Highway Bars, Stainless Swing Arm Cover, Kewl Metal 2" Risers and end cap tach mount, Barnett Clutch and Throttle Cables,Pair Valve Block Off Kit, Bio-Hazard Derby Cover, CA Integrated Taillight, Webslinger speedo & Tach, Chrome Driveshaft Cover, Kuryo Skull Pegs,03:05 AM BlkM109r Paint Job

Changed mine on Friday from 4 to 3
    also 100kg's riding 2 up with my lady (58kgs) and much much better
    still firm but not as jarring on the rough tar and potholes
    Thanks for the info here guys!!
    Lifted the rear wheel with a jack a quick tap with a hammer onto a thick wooden dowel and the turned one click.

I tried to adjust mine last night with the little wrench that was included with my snowmobile. It wouldn't budge! I'll try jacking it up this evening and maybe grab a better wrench as well.

I tried to adjust mine last night with the little wrench that was included with my snowmobile. It wouldn't budge! I'll try jacking it up this evening and maybe grab a better wrench as well.
    Maybe you were trying to turn it the wrong way, tighten rather than loosen? When I did mine, way back in 06, I did it with the wheel on the ground using a little spanner, me flat on my back on the ground. It wasn't a problem that I remember.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Maybe you were trying to turn it the wrong way, tighten rather than loosen? When I did mine, way back in 06, I did it with the wheel on the ground using a little spanner, me flat on my back on the ground. It wasn't a problem that I remember.
    Maybe I'm just weak! I tried to turn it both ways. I'll give it another try tonight.

I did mine without jack. It takes some pulling but it will break loose. Pretty sure I went at it from the right side. Was over 3 year ago so could be wrong

I got it. I had to use another wrench to act as an offset snipe on my little spanner wrench. I've moved it to the 3 position. I'll give that a try for a bit.

I rather think it would be hard to do from the left side, what with the bike leaning over on the side stand and all.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING