Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off

Default Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off

The service manual says pull the engine?

If I pull the swingarm, I should be able to get at all the bolts I need to remove to get the stub shaft thing out of the way so I can start drilling out what's left of the bolt... right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-sEHxHjm9k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explanation 1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	332930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	332938  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I can't answer the question your asking but how the hell did that happen Someone will be on soon to answer yours.

There's only some possibility that there is any loctitie on that bolt. I would look at the manual and see if it calls for it there. If not, it might be a lot easier to get out than you think. If the head is off, there's no pressure on the threads and the remaining bit may come out easily, maybe even with a magnet to turn it. If you do end up drilling it, use a left hand drill bit. It might back it right out of there with just the pressure of the drilling.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

OK, so what I ended up doing...

Pulled the rear wheel, pumpkin, driveshaft, then pulled the swingarm long bolt. I left the shock mount bolts in and let the swingarm droop.

I didn't have an 8mm hex wrench socket, so I made one.. pulled the secondary shaft off and got to drilling.

Stepped up 3x from 1/8" to 1/4" drilling all the way through and then plugged a snap-on ez out into the hole. The remainder of the bolt spun pretty much right out. Blue Loctite is on it.

..now I need to find a new bolt and pray that just slamming it back together is all I need to do. Bike only has barely 8000 miles on it, so it should be oK? The speed sensor was quite hairy with metal shavings... idk.. Hopefully it's fine. I don't have any money to replace the whole secondary drive. We'll see. I'm trading it in this fall anyway. Pretty sure I might be harder on a bike (any bike) than pretty much anybody would be.. I'm 300 pounds and ride like a 150-pound psychopath. I think a regular old 150-pound psychopath wouldn't be as hard on one of these, just because less weight means less stress on the bike.

Since the exhaust is off, I'm tempted to make it louder.

thoughts?

Finding the proper bolt was somewhat difficult.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    I can't answer the question your asking but how the hell did that happen Someone will be on soon to answer yours.
    I ride pretty hard.. Tend to break stuff.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Is there not any warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Is there not any warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Yes, they are Guaranteed to Get your titties in a tangle..... OP, Breathe bro, no need beating up n your 9. Chop those pipes off as well

Quote Originally Posted by evil0990 View Post
    I was riding it and it broke. Probably because Suzuki builds garbage, if I had to guess.

I'm pretty pissed off right now. Can't get ONE FREAKING BOLT, so my bike is now a PAPERWEIGHT that I'm paying $200/mo to stare at as it sits in my garage.
    Go buy a Hardley Ableson. Then you can REALLY get upset at low quality! Oh, and a similar bolt for a Hardley will cost you ten times as much.

Re: how it happened, aren't you the guy who said in another thread that you weigh 300 pounds and you beat the snot out of your bike?

EDIT: It was in post #4 in THIS thread:

Pretty sure I might be harder on a bike (any bike) than pretty much anybody would be.. I'm 300pounds and ride like a 150-pound psychopath. I think a regular old 150-pound psychopath wouldn't be as hard on one of these, just because less weight means less stress on the bike.
    Last edited by HyperPete; 08-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Go buy a Hardley Ableson. Then you can REALLY get upset at low quality! Oh, and a similar bolt for a Hardley will cost you ten times as much.

Re: how it happened, aren't you the guy who said in another thread that you weigh 300 pounds and you beat the snot out of your bike?

EDIT: It was in post #4 in THIS thread:
    I'm still thinking about buying an H-D as a second bike... That new Street Bob is pretty slick.
    I have one payment left on my M90 and I'm keeping it.. it's too entertaining to get rid of. (edited 5/16/19)
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:03 AM.

5/16/19

Boy, I was salty.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Lightbulb

My whole point is this - it's all well and good till it breaks in the middle of riding season and you need a bolt that NOBODY IN YOUR COUNTRY has in stock.

I don't care how it broke, I CAN'T FIX IT because the manufacturer doesn't understand that bolts hold things together and sometimes break and need replaced.

Make all the excuses you want for them, I don't care. Why would you sell a product that can't be fixed?
    Here's a suggestion: Instead of ranting at us, why don't you try something that is likely to result in you getting the part you need: Post something on the Canadian sub-forum and request someone purchase one and mail it to you and pay them via PayPal. You might be surprised at how helpful your M109R brothers are...

Or you can continue to whine and put down the machine that everyone here owns and just alienate everyone here.

Your choice.

You have NINE posts total here, and SEVEN of them are here RANTING about how bad the bike is. Yeah, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by HyperPete; 08-30-2016 at 08:59 AM.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

OK, so after several hours of my life wasted, it has been determined that there are ZERO 09103-12084-A05 bolts available in the United States.
    Did you just try to go through Suzuki? There were a few places I found online that have the bolt available, one being Bike Bandit.com where I regularly order OEM parts from.
    Last edited by Deputy1042; 08-30-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Post something on the Canadian sub-forum and request someone purchase one and mail it to you and pay them via PayPal. You might be surprised at how helpful your M109R brothers are...

I just called my local dealer. They'd order it for me, but they have to wait until they have enough things to order before Suzuki will let them order it. They don't know how long it will take to get the minimum order put together. It could be a week, could be 2 weeks.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy1042 View Post
    Did you just try to go through Suzuki? There were a few places I found online that have the bolt available, one being Bike Bandit.com where I regularly order OEM parts from.
    5/16/19

Again.. damn, I was REALLY salty.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Before it broke, it was a pretty decent bike. I wish it were louder at idle. It has had a weird clunk when hitting some bumps since I got it. Gas mileage is great when I keep my wrist out of it.

Handling is... well, I mean.. it will go around a bend. Mostly. The brakes are great. It's stable even when you accidentally lose traction coming out of a corner. It could have better aero.

The acceleration is meh. Needs more power. The shaft drive soaks up so much power. Why does it struggle to go over 90MPH if it makes over 100HP at the crank? This thing should have no problem clearing 130. My '78 GL1000 would do 125 down a hill. This thing won't break 115 and it makes a third more power.

Don't get me wrong.. it's a nice bike, but it sells itself as being more than it is. I'm just not that impressed with it anymore. Maybe after I miss it for a couple of weeks the honeymoon feeling will come back.

5/16/19
    It feels faster than it used to for some reason. Should I worry? Pretty sure it actually wraps the speedo, but there's an issue with the pickup over 100mph for some reason. It keeps pulling long after the speedo gets all weird around 110.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:07 AM.

I CALLED PartsZilla and BikeBandit. On the PHONE. I talked to PEOPLE. Sure they say "ships in 3-64 days" or whatever. That's bs. You CALL. You ASK.

They DO NOT have the bolt in stock. They have to order it from the same place the dealer orders it from, and THAT WAREHOUSE DOESN'T HAVE IT EITHER.

Come on, people. Do you think I don't know how to find parts I had a '78 Goldwing for years and I learned how to source things.
    Um, alrighty then and good luck. That kind of attitude makes me feel like trying to help you out by looking up the part was a waste of my own time...

Um, alrighty then and good luck. That kind of attitude makes me feel like trying to help you out by looking up the part was a waste of my own time...
    Exactly. Me too. Unsubscribing from this thread.

Sorry I made you feel that way... I've been scouring the web for any and all suppliers and I have spoken to everybody I could reach at all of those suppliers. I wouldn't be complaining if my grievance was unfounded.

I'm looking at other shaft drive bikes trying to find the same part by Kawasaki or Honda or Yamaha.... Not having much luck... all of their shaft systems use a giant nut to hold the bevel gear on, it seems.

I was kinda hoping somebody would chime in and tell me they had actually found one and confirmed its existence...

..but when people try and essentially laugh at me for breaking a part that shouldn't break because I ride hard, that's guaranteed to make me salty.

I'm not looking for people to criticize my riding style, I'm just looking for bolt.

Once this is all said and done, I'll be doing a gentlemanly write-up of the ordeal... including how to find this damned bolt.

I need to post photos...
    Last edited by evil0990; 08-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
    '09 M90 - Current Status: waking the dead.

Top (or as Suzuki calls it "rear") Muffler has been completely gutted, except for the catalyst.
    Bottom (front) muffler has had rear baffle plate drilled like swiss cheese. I don't think I'm gutting that one.. IDK, I need to wait and see how it sounds. With it all apart, I can see that there's a nice 2.5"-3" center section aft of the collector that's perfectly round and just begging to have a big chrome turnout clamped on there in place of the gigantic Judge Dredd-looking mufflers.... I really need to get the bolt before I go ape hacking the exhaust all up. I even had my chain exhaust cutter in my hand and I talked myself down before I did something I might regret later.

If I do trade this thing in, I'll need a factory exhaust to put back on it regardless because whoever had it before me dropped it and scraped the exhaust all up.

Advice? Anybody?

Do we know what these sound like with a turnout in place of any mufflers? I've seen a lot of '9s with a manufactured-looking turnout... I'm talking about just a turnout clamped onto the collector.

Very Active Member

You seem to be not that far from Buffalo NY. Maybe you could drive there and pop across the border and go to Hamilton Ont and stop in at Sturgess Cycle. Maybe they could help you out.
    If you want here is the address Sturgess Cycle

615 King Street West
    Hamilton ON L8P 1C4
    Phone: 905-522-0503
    Toll Free: 1-888-421-3333

As for the exhaust.... well you could try to get a Cobra setup or some other after market system.

Hope this helps
    Be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets. - Capt Ramius (Red October)

2006 DL650 Blue
    2009 VZ1500 M90 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by KrystalBlue View Post
    You seem to be not that far from Buffalo NY. Maybe you could drive there and pop across the border and go to Hamilton Ont and stop in at Sturgess Cycle. Maybe they could help you out.
    If you want here is the address Sturgess Cycle

615 King Street West
    Hamilton ON L8P 1C4
    Phone: 905-522-0503
    Toll Free: 1-888-421-3333

As for the exhaust.... well you could try to get a Cobra setup or some other after market system.

Hope this helps
    I don't have a passport. :-(
    Cobras cost money lol. I can dream.

I'll just keep playing with the stock exhaust till I can get enough money to buy a replacement stock exhaust off a wrecked bike... then I'm trading it in. I'm over being mad, I just want something less red.

5/16/19
    If I trade it in, it's because my wife refuses to let me have more than one bike and I want a bagger... Otherwise, I'm keeping it until it won't go anymore.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:10 AM.

In other news, and on a related note....

Of all the weeks for my bike to be down, this was probably the best week for it. They just tar & chipped the one whole road I take to work, and they did a REALLY sloppy job of it. Like, they used 2x more gravel than necessary... it's so bad it's washboarded up in a few places it's so deep. Hopefully it's worn down and sloughed off enough by the time I get the zook back online.

I gave up on finding it anywhere I can hand somebody cash and ordered it from bikebandit. I guess when it shows up, it shows up.

The problem I have with having stuff shipped to me is my address shows up in 4 different zip codes and whatever I order takes an extra 3-7 days to finally get to my house because USPS doesn't understand zip codes when you put it right on the damn label.

This is some out of the box thinking, I think, but here's my suggestion.

That bolt is really nothing special. Oh, it has a fancy flanged head on it but that can be replicated with just a washer. All one really needs it a bolt that is the same size/length with the same thread in a decent quality (which the stock bolt appeared to be lacking in). A grade 8 (or the metric equal) would certainly do the job.

I can see why that bolt would not be stocked anywhere. I'm sure that history of bikes prior to your shows that bolt being a very low demand item and I suspect that few have broken for many thousands of bikes sold. There's really not much reason for it to break so there are virtually none sold so the computer says don't put any in stock. It really is as simple as supply and demand.

Anyway, if you want to fix it see if you can find a metric bolt that is the same size/length/pitch and put a washer under the head of it, put it back together and go ride. Maybe there's not a bolt out there that's the same but it wouldn't take long to figure that out. Probably a fraction of the time you've spent ranting about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    This is some out of the box thinking, I think, but here's my suggestion.

That bolt is really nothing special. Oh, it has a fancy flanged head on it but that can be replicated with just a washer. All one really needs it a bolt that is the same size/length with the same thread in a decent quality (which the stock bolt appeared to be lacking in). A grade 8 (or the metric equal) would certainly do the job.

I can see why that bolt would not be stocked anywhere. I'm sure that history of bikes prior to your shows that bolt being a very low demand item and I suspect that few have broken for many thousands of bikes sold. There's really not much reason for it to break so there are virtually none sold so the computer says don't put any in stock. It really is as simple as supply and demand.

Anyway, if you want to fix it see if you can find a metric bolt that is the same size/length/pitch and put a washer under the head of it, put it back together and go ride. Maybe there's not a bolt out there that's the same but it wouldn't take long to figure that out. Probably a fraction of the time you've spent ranting about it here.

That may be so, but I'd hate to use a "similar" bolt and have it break again...

That may be so, but I'd hate to use a "similar" bolt and have it break again...
    Well, that bolt that you had wasn't very well made or it wouldn't have broken. And, there is virtually no load on that bolt other than the torque being applied to it to install it. The gear is simply being held on with it. The force is constantly pushing the gear towards the motor, not pulling on it.

I would not have any issue whatsoever putting a grade 8 metric equal in it's place if I wanted to ride the bike. If you do end up getting an actual Suzuki bolt sometime later then you can change it out.

I guess it depends on whether you want to actually ride or sit around and bitch about not being able to ride.